Im done with BLT TOWL

pinnocchiosdad

DIS Veteran
There have been recent posts regarding the TOWL opening to all DVC'ers. Thats fine with me. On our last trip (we always stay at BLT) we never even bothered going up for a drink. The food menu is a joke (IMHO). Come on, who wouldn't want to enjoy some wings and beer up there. Maybe enjoy a burger or some mozzarella sticks. Nothing even close to this. As for the bar. If you are looking for that warm and fuzzy feeling that you get from Disney CM'ers. You will not find it up here. As for the view. The bar faces a mural of the monorail. If the bar were facing the other way you could look out at the lights and fireworks. Why spend a night at WDW drinking an expensive drink facing a wall. Yes you can go outside for fireworks. The view is good. Small kids will have to be lifted up to see over the wall. Also it is very very windy up there. Many of you may jump on this post and offer your opinion of how great TOWL is. I am glad that you enjoy it. But it is not for us especially on trips when the kids are with us.

We were there in Dec during the cold snap and we went up there with the kids bc it was way too cold to stand on Main St and we thought it would be fun to watch from up there. There was no where to sit inside to see the fireworks, we sat at some tables and there was nothing that appealed to us to eat. DH and I ordered drinks but they only had soda and my kids dont like soda so they had water. Then it was time for the fireworks and we wound up outside in the freezing cold. Both kids had a hard time seeing over the wall, even I did as I am short but DS9 really struggled, we finally got him up on a bench. It was so not worth it. We had a much better time, the night we stayed in, put on our jammies, had desserts that we bought and watched from our MK view room! We were warm, we had great snacks etc. I dont get the attraction on the TOWL either.

There have been recent posts regarding the TOWL opening to all DVC'ers. Thats fine with me. On our last trip (we always stay at BLT) we never even bothered going up for a drink. The food menu is a joke (IMHO). Come on, who wouldn't want to enjoy some wings and beer up there. Maybe enjoy a burger or some mozzarella sticks. Nothing even close to this. As for the bar. If you are looking for that warm and fuzzy feeling that you get from Disney CM'ers. You will not find it up here. As for the view. The bar faces a mural of the monorail. If the bar were facing the other way you could look out at the lights and fireworks. Why spend a night at WDW drinking an expensive drink facing a wall. Yes you can go outside for fireworks. The view is good. Small kids will have to be lifted up to see over the wall. Also it is very very windy up there. Many of you may jump on this post and offer your opinion of how great TOWL is. I am glad that you enjoy it. But it is not for us especially on trips when the kids are with us.

It's a hotel lounge, not a Hooters.

I like it the way it is. Different strokes for different folks...

I believe the limited food options are due to the fact that there isn't a working kitchen at TOWL. I think it is prepared somewhere else on property. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I liked our visit there and will bring friends up when we stay or if it extends privileges past August. HOWVER, I agree, couldn't they have put a small kitchen or grill SOMEWHERE at BLT (not the pool area). A burger sounded so good from the previous poster... Hopefully they won't make the same mistake with the GF DVC.

I believe the limited food options are due to the fact that there isn't a working kitchen at TOWL. I think it is prepared somewhere else on property. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's correct, in fact the food is prepared over at CR (or so we were told by the CM staff at TOTWL).

:scratchin I like the idea of a DVC lounge up there, always have---but I must admit from reviews it seems to lack finesse. I think the sky bridge lacks it too. Seems they could paint a bit of disney on the frosted walls and have a little something along the walkway--but if they did that it maybe wouldn't have that modern vibe. I am not talking about Mickey in Primary colors, something sutble. DH and I walked out there in May, turned around and walked back in....maybe they do have some theming it was just not remembered or memorable.

I also don't see the draw in ordering food at Maji Pool...it seems like a hassle and not many choices...and in Disney style, expensive. However, I love the drinks I can get there. I also wish the pool party would only last an hour--after that it gets a little old for those of us without children who want peace and a bit of quiet poolside.

Sorry about the soap box...the OP just got me thinkin' :rolleyes:

I agree that the TOWL is pretty much a one and done experience. But if others like it, that's great for them.

It's certainly as appealing as many other bars at WDW (thinking GF, the Wave, BWV, WL). But I've always thought they could have designed it WAY better. Everytime I've been there I think of the wasted opportunity.

I agree that the TOWL is pretty much a one and done experience. But if others like it, that's great for them.

I agree, we've stayed at BLT 3 trips now and have only gone to the lounge once total.

I was only there once last April, but I liked it....it was sophisticated and modern. I am looking forward to going there with my DH for a relaxing drinking while my boys go to the arcade at CR. :)

pinnocchiosdad said:

I have been there four times. I really enjoyed the night time excursions with my son (12 yrs) to see the fireworks. Had a few drinks and also enjoyed the mural behind the bar. I have to agree, the CM's were amount he coldest I have experienced at WDW. Although they seemed overwhelmed because the bar got really busy just before the fireworks. Can't comment on the food because we didn't order any.

I do agree, it is difficult for small children to see the fireworks and would definitely love to see a "do over" with the are facing the park. It I we're to stay at BLT again, I would be at the TOWL. It is something to experience.

The best thing about life is that we are all different. There are things that I don't enjoy at WDW. I did enjoy my time at TOWL with my son and he enjoyed it also.

And the fact that no one ever spends any money... it's kind of become a "self fufilling" problem IMHO. People didn't spend enough, Disney cut back and the CMs don't want to work there... now the food offerings etc are subpar, CMs still don't work want to work there and.... (Hint, the good CMs are the one getting stuck with the shifts where they don't make any money!)

And those of you thinking Disney will learn and spend MORE at the GF :lmao:

I could skip it also...I've never sat in there for a drink..I've seen the menu and I don't think the flat breads would appeal to my kids and my son can't see over the wall for fireworks. I'd much prefer to watch the fireworks from my balcony.

We like the TOTWL, our kids are grown and we visit WDW a few times a year. We enjoy the lounge atmosphere. The food choices are very limited but we usually just go up to grab a nice cocktail and enjoy the fireworks, maybe another cocktail and then leave...45 minutes at best...we like it. Glad they have opened it up to all DVC for now...it would be nice to stop by after MK to watch the fireworks from up there before heading back to BWV...

That's correct, in fact the food is prepared over at CR (or so we were told by the CM staff at TOTWL).

A CM told us that there is a small kitchen on the floor below and the food is transferred by a dumbwaiter system. That is why there is a limited menu. I feel that may be right because our food came rather quickly. Also he did verify that all the staff working at TOTWL have requested transfers because of the money issue.

There is some minor food prep facility adjacent to the lounge. I remember it being mentioned in building permits. It's been described to me as "a microwave and a hot plate." :lmao:

In retrospect, the lounge was overestimated all around. I still remember the lengthy discussions here when it was first announced. Most were upset that ADRs would not be offered and wondered how many hours early they would have to arrive just to gain entrance before max capacity was reached. :rotfl2:

I don't really see it as a lounge geared toward small children, nor have I ever thought of it as an eating establishment. I've been up there twice, and I didn't even know you could order food.

We had a conversation with a bartender up there a couple years ago. She said they have a very hard time keeping staff there, because of the lack of customers (which results in a lack of tips). Makes sense to me. I think opening to all DVC members is a great idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter