• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm curious.

it's hard to say.

for the time being i dont believe in god until its proven to me that there is a god. i've made a deal with myself that i dont believe in ANYTHING until its proven, cause why believe in something when it might not even exsist? my parents don't really 'approve' of me not believing and keep saying well, who made the trees and grass, and people and everything else, and im like idk and they say god did, but if he did, who made god, and who made the person who made god, and who made that person, etc etc etc.

one of the things i hate most about religion is how certain people from certain religions going door to door trying to get you to join their religion, now i dont know if it happens everywhere but in minnesota it sure seems to happen a lot. and once you tell them no they keep saying well, did you know this! and blah. its extremely annoying.

it's hard to say.

for the time being i dont believe in god until its proven to me that there is a god. i've made a deal with myself that i dont believe in ANYTHING until its proven, cause why believe in something when it might not even exsist? my parents don't really 'approve' of me not believing and keep saying well, who made the trees and grass, and people and everything else, and im like idk and they say god did, but if he did, who made god, and who made the person who made god, and who made that person, etc etc etc.

one of the things i hate most about religion is how certain people from certain religions going door to door trying to get you to join their religion, now i dont know if it happens everywhere but in minnesota it sure seems to happen a lot. and once you tell them no they keep saying well, did you know this! and blah. its extremely annoying.

I feel bad for some of those guys. (the ones in suit and tie, on a bicycle) They have to go to a town they've never been to as soon as they turn 18 on a mission trip to witness to people. I'm nice to them, I just say I'm not interested.

Do you have a set religion? Yes
What is it? Christian (Protestant)
What do you believe, and why? I belive most of the stuff the bible says. I'm not going to say that I believe every word but I believe most of it.
Have you studied religions other than your own, or were you raised to believe a certain thing? No, I haven't studied religions of my own. Yes, I was raised to believe a certain thing but as said before it wasn't "shoved down my throat."

I've kind of got this view on religion. Why not believe in God? Why not believe in everything the bible says? Sure it may be wrong. But i'd rather be wrong and lose nothing believing in God and than not believe in God and lose everything (go to hell). I dunno. That's just my view.

Can I ask you all something? Well some of you anyways. I see how some of you say you don't like it when religion is used as an excuse or religion is used as hate. I can only think of one time when religion was used as hate, and I think it applied there. Here's the story;
At our local community theatre, we were performing and before the performance we had a prayer circle. This one girl whom when we talked about religion, said she was atheist. She joined the prayer circle. It irked me. If she was truely atheist, why would she join a circle to praise our God? I think that she was just atheist to fit in with a certain crowd at school. And when she was in a different place where the majority of people believed in God, she conformed so she'd fit in there too. I would have accepted her more if she stayed out of the circle as an "athiest".

That's what I think alot of people who are athiests do. They just say they're athiests to fit in with a certain crowd. That's the only thing I have against religious people. Don't do it to fit into a crowd, then i'll respect you.

I feel bad for some of those guys. (the ones in suit and tie, on a bicycle) They have to go to a town they've never been to as soon as they turn 18 on a mission trip to witness to people. I'm nice to them, I just say I'm not interested.

ooooh, they have to do it? i thought it was optional. i normally dont answer the door my parents do.

Do you have a set religion? Yes
What is it? Christian (Protestant)
What do you believe, and why? I belive most of the stuff the bible says. I'm not going to say that I believe every word but I believe most of it.
Have you studied religions other than your own, or were you raised to believe a certain thing? No, I haven't studied religions of my own. Yes, I was raised to believe a certain thing but as said before it wasn't "shoved down my throat."

I've kind of got this view on religion. Why not believe in God? Why not believe in everything the bible says? Sure it may be wrong. But i'd rather be wrong and lose nothing believing in God and than not believe in God and lose everything (go to hell). I dunno. That's just my view.

Can I ask you all something? Well some of you anyways. I see how some of you say you don't like it when religion is used as an excuse or religion is used as hate. I can only think of one time when religion was used as hate, and I think it applied there. Here's the story;
At our local community theatre, we were performing and before the performance we had a prayer circle. This one girl whom when we talked about religion, said she was atheist. She joined the prayer circle. It irked me. If she was truely atheist, why would she join a circle to praise our God? I think that she was just atheist to fit in with a certain crowd at school. And when she was in a different place where the majority of people believed in God, she conformed so she'd fit in there too. I would have accepted her more if she stayed out of the circle as an "athiest".

That's what I think alot of people who are athiests do. They just say they're athiests to fit in with a certain crowd. That's the only thing I have against religious people. Don't do it to fit into a crowd, then i'll respect you.

I'm an atheist, and I would've done the exact same thing. As someone who does not believe, joining a prayer circle is a way of showing respect to all of those around you, who do believe. I bow my head out of respect when people around me are praying.

I don't really see that as showing hate. What I was talking about was the "god hates ***s" groups and things like that. (the stars are a slang term for a gay man)

ooooh, they have to do it? i thought it was optional. i normally dont answer the door my parents do.

a certain group HAS to do it, to stay with their church. Its an awful tradition.

a friend of my mothers refused to do it and he was kicked out of the church by people he grew up with.

they say god did, but if he did, who made god, and who made the person who made god, and who made that person, etc etc etc.

This is a quote from my science teacher. "You have to have an apex for everything. Even science, atheist say well who created god and that god and that god,etc. Well what created the universe and that thing, and that thing to. And unlike God we have proof that the universe exist. Therefore you need an Apex"

Do you have a set religion? Yes.
What is it? Christianity to be more specific Catholic.

If you don't, why not? N/A.

What do you believe, and why? That God created the Earth and living things.

Have you studied religions other than your own, or were you raised to believe a certain thing? No my religion teacher wouldn't teach other religions, but I would like to learn.

it bothers me when people use religion as an excuse for hate.

actually most religons are taught as not to hate and no religion is acutally there for an excuse, people jsut twist it sometimes

i am Roman Catholic

I beleive in God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Trinity(Father, Son and Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost).

I was brought up asd a Roman Catholic and have always gone ot church, i didnt really start understanding everything until a few years ago.

I have studied other religions in school and at CCD

Do you have a set religion? Yes.
What is it? Christianity to be more specific Catholic.

If you don't, why not? N/A.

What do you believe, and why? That God created the Earth and living things.

Have you studied religions other than your own, or were you raised to believe a certain thing? No my religion teacher wouldn't teach other religions, but I would like to learn.

why don't you learn on your own?

I am Christian. Roman Catholic to be exact. However, I am what we call a 'kitchen Catholic'. I am a confirmed Catholic but there are a lot of things that I disagree with.

In my first 5 years of life, my mom and I lived with my grandparents and my three aunts. We went to church every week religiously (no pun intended). That's just how my mom and aunts were raised. My grandparents aren't gung-ho Catholics but they go to church every week and that's the basic extent of it. Once we didn't live there, we never went to church. So that's how I was raised.

We don't go to church because I (more like we) don't believe that you have to to be a good Catholic. We go on Easter and Christmas because they are important days in my religion. I feel very strongly about this.

I don't do the Lent thing either. It is my firm belief that when Jesus was on the cross dying he said "every Friday during the 40 days before Easter (not including Sundays, of course) none of my people shal eat meat. They will give up something as a sacrifice during this time..." etc. I don't eat meat on Friday, though, for whatever reason that I can't, myself, figure out because I think it has a stonger connection or something, I guess (yes, this is me sitting here trying to solve the mystery that is my deeper thinkings). Basically, I don't like the church-made rules.

As far as God goes, I believe in him and I pray to him every night before I go to bed. However, I believe that the belief in God's creation and evolution can co-exist in one's mind. I believe that God created the world in 7 days. However, I don't think those days are set at what we have now. I believe that all that dinosaur stuff, etc. could have all happened in the course of day 3.

I firmly believe that you are in control of where you end up after death (heaven or hell). I know that there are some religions that say that if you believe in God, regardless of what you do, you will go to heaven. I cannot begin to believe this. If someone knocks off 30 people in a week but says that he/she believs in God (however that may work), they should not end up in the paradise that is heaven.

As far as moral issues go, I don't think that it's fair for any given person to decide upon their stance based on religion alone. As an example, I am intensly (sp?) in favor of equal rights for homosexuals. I believe that God loves all and that overrides whatever anyone wrote and said was the written law.

I once went to a required session thing at my church and in it, they had a speaker preach to us that to marry a black person is sinful and, as a result, you'll end up in hell. At that time, my mother, my friend and her mom, and I walked out there. We don't go to that church for our 2 services a year. It is impossible for me to fathom that God would discriminate against anyone that he himself created.

I think that's it for now until I discover more.

Ah, I believe in karma too, but that basically plays up on the 'deserve where you're going to end up' type of thing. I just believe it runs its course while still living, too.

I can not look at the mountains, oceans, animals and humans and not believe there is a God. I believe the supreme being is good. I was raised to believe in the Bible but I know there are others who were raised to believe in other things. There is no way for me to know for sure who God is but I do believe there is a God.:goodvibes

actually most religons are taught as not to hate and no religion is acutally there for an excuse, people jsut twist it sometimes

i am Roman Catholic

I beleive in God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Trinity(Father, Son and Holy Spirit, or Holy Ghost).

I was brought up asd a Roman Catholic and have always gone ot church, i didnt really start understanding everything until a few years ago.

I have studied other religions in school and at CCD
Most religions say "do not hate" but that does not stop the religious from hating. I've been condemned to a hell that I don't believe in by the so called "richeous" simply becuase I don't believe the same things as them. I've also been called dirty and evil and things I'd rather not write here for my sexual orientation. Many many people use their religion and their religions rules as an excuse to hate people. Not all, but some do.

also to get something straight, the Roman Catholic church doesnt hate gays or anyting, we jsut do not condon what they do, because it is not natural, i dont like it when people say Catholics hate gays,

but we are also not going to change our position anyimt soon on it

Most religions say "do not hate" but that does not stop the religious from hating. I've been condemned to a hell that I don't believe in by the so called "richeous" simply becuase I don't believe the same things as them. I've also been called dirty and evil and things I'd rather not write here for my sexual orientation. Many many people use their religion and their religions rules as an excuse to hate people. Not all, but some do.

funny, i didnt see this beofre i posted teh other post above me, and people use hte religon as an excuse, but its not what teh church nessacarrlly beleives

also to get something straight, the Roman Catholic church doesnt hate gays or anyting, we jsut do not condon what they do, because it is not natural, i dont like it when people say Catholics hate gays,

but we are also not going to change our position anyimt soon on it

I didn't say catholics anywhere in that post. I was actually refering to another group that shall remain nameless.

And the catholics don't change their positions often. It was only in the 1990s that the catholic church finally stated that we are indeed in a heliocentric universe.:confused3

btw, there has been some research on if homosexuality is natural or not, but at the rate we're going with science and church, that should be accepted....sometime in the next few thousand years?

funny, i didnt see this beofre i posted teh other post above me, and people use hte religon as an excuse, but its not what teh church nessacarrlly beleives

I didn't say its what the church says. I have no real problems with the church, or the deities for that matter. My problems that I was talking about before rested with the followers of the religions.

yeai no u werent necesarily refering to catholcs, i posted hat right after ur comment and i hadnt seen it

a certain group HAS to do it, to stay with their church. Its an awful tradition.

a friend of my mothers refused to do it and he was kicked out of the church by people he grew up with.

oh sad!! i didn't know that. i wouldn't like that.

but we are also not going to change our position anytime soon on it

The Catholic churh does. The church most definitely does. Their stance is that it's sinful and immoral so, therefore; homosexuals are not welcomed into the chuch and whatever any one person may take that to include (allowed at the masses, marriage, etc.).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter