I'm conflicted: BLT 1BR or WL?

PeanutButterMom

Mouseketeer
We decided over the weekend that we'd like to go back for Christmas, probably next year (2015). Our last stay at POR, while we LOVED it, the only caveat was the buses - maybe we're just spoiled? I HATE waiting, especially if I don't know how long (if I knew walking up it would be 20 minutes, then it would be fine, but I hate the not-knowing). DH said the only way he would ever go back is if we stayed in a monorail resort. OK, I'm fine with that. I thought we could rent DVC, stay at BLT. DH also really likes the idea of a 1BR - our kids will be 9 & 6. He doesn't sleep well, and hates to disturb anyone, so spent most of the nights of our POR trip watching DVDs on his laptop in the corner with headphones on.

Note: Upcoming trip will only be 5-6 nights, skipping AK and any waterparks since it's December ;). We are 100% doing MVMCP and will probably only go to DHS if there's Osborne Lights (depending on what the rumor mill spits out over the next 18 months...)

So BLT it is!

BUT....:rotfl2: It can't be that easy, right? Our last trip, we spent most of our TS at Deluxe resorts (all of them, actually - Poly, AKL, GF, CR, Y&BC, WL - I love to explore what's out there and what feels like home to us. DH and the kids both fell IN LOVE with WL. Head over heels. I had stayed there as a teen, a year or two after it opened I think, and it was lovely. DH wanted to camp out in a hallway for the rest of our trip and never, ever leave :rolleyes2

So then I think to myself... :scratchin Hmm, maybe I should think this through. We have LOTS of time to make a decision, here, after all.

BLT Pros:
1BR - we can really spread out.
LOCATION! We can walk to MK. We tend to spend over half our trip there, regardless of length.
The 1BR at BLT has 2 bathrooms. That's just... really nice. DH requires the Whirlpool tub, according to Himself :rolleyes2
Balcony! I love balconies in general. I hope to *maybe* surprise with a Theme Park view, but the Lake view is pretty cool too.

BLT Cons:
I have to rent points. Not *really* a con, because we did it for my parents this past October for AKV, but still, that's there.
I don't love the theming. It sounds dumb, but whatever.
Probably more expensive in the long run (BLT 1BR Lake View, $462 an night versus WL of ~$400, not counting any discount I stumble upon).

WL Pros:
We love the theme. The pool is so beautiful.
DH has it on his "bucket list" (but if we stay at BLT, then we HAVE to come back soon for WL, right ;) ;) )
We'd save some money in the process, which is great.
Has Kids Club - we may or may not utilize, but depending on the week we end up deciding on (1st 2 in Dec), we may be there for DH's birthday and will have a date night.

WL Cons:
Not on the monorail, but it's a boat ride instead. I don't recall what the wait times are like for the boat, but loads better than waiting for and then riding on a bus, right? Still, not as convenient.
It would be a regular-size room.

Thoughts? Talk me through this? Note: yes, I'm 20 months out. I tend to be obsessive, ask any of the FB October 2013 DISers ;) :rotfl:

ETA: If the Poly DVC would be done by then, we wouldn't be having this discussion at all ;)

IMO I would stay at BLT:) we are planning on staying there as part of a split stay on our next trip. Our resort that we love is AKV, so that will be the other resort we'll stay at. I love trying new resorts but still couldn't imagine going to Disney and not stay at AKV. BLT has the monorail which is a huge plus! And since you love WL you could always have a meal planned for there.

So, we were just like your family this last Dec. My DH LOVES WL and wants to stay in no other resort (not even my beloved POLY). But the boat ride can be a bit of a wait IF you just missed the previous one. We've never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes but perhaps we get lucky.
SO
We decided to rent points at Wilderness Lodge Villas. We actually went with family so we had a two bedroom villa. I've got to say I LOVED the villa. I love the washer/dryer personally more than anything. We usually stay CL but I think I would give that up to stay at a 1 bedroom villa or higher. I really is so much more room and like staying in an apartment not a tiny hotel room.
Just a thought. You could look into WLV. If you are looking at xmas week you probably will be paying for rack rate rooms, but if you are going the first few weeks in Dec I can't imagine you wouldn't get a discount on the WL standard room.....
Have a great trip.
Emily

We have stayed at WL three times and BLT once. Currently we have a week booked in a BLT 1BR coming up in March and a weekend at WL booked in May. So clearly, I am also a fan of both resorts.

I totally agree that the theming at WL is a knockout, especially at Christmas. Two of our WL stays have been in December and walking into the lobby takes your breath away.

Having said that, the space you'll have at BLT is HUGE compared to a room at WL. The extra bathroom is a real plus, the kitchen could save you some $$ on meals, and having a washer/dryer comes in handy.

WL does have a boat to MK, which is great, but you would have to take a bus to all other parks. From BLT you could take two monorails and be at Epcot.

Watching Wishes from BLT = magical. We had a lake view but thanks to info from a super-handy DIS thread, we were able to request a specific type of room and as a result we were able to see Wishes from our living room. Even if you don't get that room view, you can stand on the bridge between BLT and CR or go to the CR observation deck.

I would agree that the pool at WL is better. But will you definitely swim in December, even if the weather is cold?

To sum it up, I would probably pick WL only if the trip was relatively short and if theming was more important than amenities. Otherwise, BLTs location, room size and features are terrific.

Perhaps a split stay that included both would be just the ticket???

;)

We have stayed at WL three times and BLT once. Currently we have a week booked in a BLT 1BR coming up in March and a weekend at WL booked in May. So clearly, I am also a fan of both resorts.

I totally agree that the theming at WL is a knockout, especially at Christmas. Two of our WL stays have been in December and walking into the lobby takes your breath away.

Having said that, the space you'll have at BLT is HUGE compared to a room at WL. The extra bathroom is a real plus, the kitchen could save you some $$ on meals, and having a washer/dryer comes in handy.

WL does have a boat to MK, which is great, but you would have to take a bus to all other parks. From BLT you could take two monorails and be at Epcot.

Watching Wishes from BLT = magical. We had a lake view but thanks to info from a super-handy DIS thread, we were able to request a specific type of room and as a result we were able to see Wishes from our living room. Even if you don't get that room view, you can stand on the bridge between BLT and CR or go to the CR observation deck.

I would agree that the pool at WL is better. But will you definitely swim in December, even if the weather is cold?

To sum it up, I would probably pick WL only if the trip was relatively short and if theming was more important than amenities. Otherwise, BLTs location, room size and features are terrific.

Perhaps a split stay that included both would be just the ticket???

;)

You're reading my mind over here. I just stumbled upon pictures of WL at Christmas :eek::eek::eek: So amazing.

We most likely wouldn't be swimming at all, but I just mean the overall ambiance with the rocks and the waterfalls...

It's only a 5 night stay, and we 100% can't extend anymore than that, for sure. For the PP who asked, it'll either be the 1st weekend (Dec 3-8) or the 2nd weekend (Dec 10-15), not crazy busy (hopefully).

I can't get past the room size of BLT. It's SO nice. AHHHHHH! I've been looking at pictures of the two rooms side-by-side and I thought I had decided on BLT. BUt Christmas WL :santa:... This is tough, ya'll!

ETA: For some reason, I forgot that WL had villas too. I just don't know if I'm feeling them? I don't know. Maybe I need to look at more pictures ;)

Hey there, congrats on planning your trip!

I have to say, my vote would be BLT hands down. Can't beat the convenience of the monorails and walking distance to MK. And the space in a one bedroom is amazing!

We stayed at WL once - I honestly prefer the theming of WL, but the buses were awful. I think I've seen a site where they are the longest bus commutes (combined) of all the resorts. Weird, huh? It's not the furthest distance, but they make other stops.

If you are looking at WLV, you may want to do some internet research, I haven't stayed in those but I'm pretty sure they don't have 2 bathrooms if that is a big draw for you.

I'm sure you will have a great time regardless!

The hardest problem will be getting a BLT or VWL owner before eleven months out to be able to book exactly at eleven months out (or even walk the reservation). AKV, SSR, OKW, you might get them at less than eleven months out, but BLT and VWl, not likely.

You're reading my mind over here. I just stumbled upon pictures of WL at Christmas :eek::eek::eek: So amazing.

We most likely wouldn't be swimming at all, but I just mean the overall ambiance with the rocks and the waterfalls...

It's only a 5 night stay, and we 100% can't extend anymore than that, for sure. For the PP who asked, it'll either be the 1st weekend (Dec 3-8) or the 2nd weekend (Dec 10-15), not crazy busy (hopefully).

I can't get past the room size of BLT. It's SO nice. AHHHHHH! I've been looking at pictures of the two rooms side-by-side and I thought I had decided on BLT. BUt Christmas WL :santa:... This is tough, ya'll!

ETA: For some reason, I forgot that WL had villas too. I just don't know if I'm feeling them? I don't know. Maybe I need to look at more pictures ;)
The 1BR at the VWL is bigger than the 1BR at BLT. Based on 2014 points, the 1st weekend would cost 176 points and the 2nd one would cost 178 points. If you want to rent points you will have to do it in January 2014 in the 11-month window since early December is a really busy time for DVC due to low point values and Christmas decorations. Points rent from $12-$14 per point, but they include all taxes. So, you're lookng at about $2300 for your 5 days. BTL is more expensive yet.

The 1BR at BLT is 803 SqFt (due to the rounded building, they get an extra little bathroom). and the 1BR at VWL are 727. Now, the studio is TINY at BLT, and if I had to pick studio there would be no question.

I brought it up to DH last night - BLT vs regular room at WL, BLT versus VWL. He still is resilute in BLT :cool1: He says that NEXT time, we can look into Wilderness Lodge :scratchin

I think getting a 1BR Lake view will be doable. I have a fellow DISer who just booked one at the 7 month mark (for September). I'll still put in my request right at the 11 month mark, to be safe. I'm actually not locked into ANY particular view, as long as it doesn't fall into the "worst views ever!" thread category

I'm just excited my husband is excited. He was actively opposed to our October 2013 (it's SO much money, I HATE crowds, I HATE Florida weather - just a negative Nancy in general, plus add the fact that he had a major knee injury 6 weeks before our trip and had a HUGE brace on for the trip). Our last day, as we're walking to check in for ME to head to the airport, he looks at me and says, "So, on our next trip..." And I knew he was hooked.

pixiedust:

I vote for WL.....especially given it is xmas time. We just went in December 2013 and what a magnificent resort at xmas. And the wait times for the boat were quick. We were there first week. We have our own car so we don't do the busses but we did the boat ride over to MK, FW, we loved MVMCP.

And not sure the ages of of the kids but WL has bunk beds. This was great for my kids on both trips to WL. They are 6 years apart and would not want to sleep together HAHA

I am from MD so we are used to cold Christmas holidays. On our December 13 trip we went over to Beach Club for dinner and it just felt weird. For us, beach and Christmas just don't go together HAHA So the lobby of WL seemed right to us!!!

You really should be able to get a pretty good discount on the room as well that time of the year. I would expect the cost to be significantly better than BLT. We, too, are from the north and nothing says Christmas like that log cabin feel and that HUGE Christmas tree in the middle of the lobby. It is breathtaking. We go to DW almost every December (first or second week). I can't imagine not staying at WL that time of year. Plus I love taking the boat over to FW and going on the "sleigh" rides they have. Have a great trip whatever you decide.

The 1BR at BLT is 803 SqFt (due to the rounded building, they get an extra little bathroom). and the 1BR at VWL are 727. Now, the studio is TINY at BLT, and if I had to pick studio there would be no question.

I brought it up to DH last night - BLT vs regular room at WL, BLT versus VWL. He still is resilute in BLT :cool1: He says that NEXT time, we can look into Wilderness Lodge :scratchin

I think getting a 1BR Lake view will be doable. I have a fellow DISer who just booked one at the 7 month mark (for September). I'll still put in my request right at the 11 month mark, to be safe. I'm actually not locked into ANY particular view, as long as it doesn't fall into the "worst views ever!" thread category

I'm just excited my husband is excited. He was actively opposed to our October 2013 (it's SO much money, I HATE crowds, I HATE Florida weather - just a negative Nancy in general, plus add the fact that he had a major knee injury 6 weeks before our trip and had a HUGE brace on for the trip). Our last day, as we're walking to check in for ME to head to the airport, he looks at me and says, "So, on our next trip..." And I knew he was hooked.

pixiedust:

I think you will really enjoy BLT. We had a lake view and requested a high floor, even number room and got a view where we were able to watch Wishes every night! We have requested the same for our our upcoming stay, so maybe we will luck out again ...

To satisfy the WL urge, you could book a meal at Whispering Canyon cafe. (Very fun, especially if you are willing to play along.) While you're at the hotel, ask a CM for the WL Hidden Mickey Scavenger Hunt. That way you'll have a chance to take in more of the atmosphere there.

And, since you'll be staying on the monorail line, you could hop over to the Grand Floridian to see the life-size gingerbread house. Really, the holidays are such a great time to visit WDW!

kneedeep said:
I think you will really enjoy BLT. We had a lake view and requested a high floor, even number room and got a view where we were able to watch Wishes every night! We have requested the same for our our upcoming stay, so maybe we will luck out again ...

To satisfy the WL urge, you could book a meal at Whispering Canyon cafe. (Very fun, especially if you are willing to play along.) While you're at the hotel, ask a CM for the WL Hidden Mickey Scavenger Hunt. That way you'll have a chance to take in more of the atmosphere there.

And, since you'll be staying on the monorail line, you could hop over to the Grand Floridian to see the life-size gingerbread house. Really, the holidays are such a great time to visit WDW!

Ok, I think that'll be a great alternative. We'll take half a day and make a "monorail tour of Holiday decor". That might be fun to do before MVMCP.

I stayed at WL December before last. Loved it! But it was only me and DH. If I was bringing the whole family I'd go with the one bedroom as well. Maybe take a day or half a day to have lunch/dinner at WL and let the family explore it a bit. Take a nice boat ride, hang out in front of the fireplace, walk the grounds.

I was also going to suggest just making a trip over to WL (there is a boat from BLT, in case you didn't know. Super convenient, picks up from the small dock between Contemp and BLT) to see the decorations, have a meal, etc. You will not regret your stay at BLT. I also second the idea of making a monorail tour of the other resorts. It's a great use of time prior to the MVMCP. In fact, I think DH and I booked a meal at Poly for 3, and then went straight over to the party, since they let you in at 4. It's going to be a magical time, either way. I don't think you can regret any Disney trip. The 1 bedroom at BLT is great. I like the modern look, so you never know... the "theme" may grow on you. :) HAVE FUN!

I was also going to suggest just making a trip over to WL (there is a boat from BLT, in case you didn't know. Super convenient, picks up from the small dock between Contemp and BLT) to see the decorations, have a meal, etc. You will not regret your stay at BLT. I also second the idea of making a monorail tour of the other resorts. It's a great use of time prior to the MVMCP. In fact, I think DH and I booked a meal at Poly for 3, and then went straight over to the party, since they let you in at 4. It's going to be a magical time, either way. I don't think you can regret any Disney trip. The 1 bedroom at BLT is great. I like the modern look, so you never know... the "theme" may grow on you. :) HAVE FUN!

The more I look at pictures (I've been pouring over the "views" thread) the more I like the theme, or lack thereof. The more I look at WL, the more I feel like I'm going to Great Wolf Lodge (yeah, I know, totally different, but that's how the *rooms* feel to me).

getting a 1BR Lake view will be doable. I have a fellow DISer who just booked one at the 7 month mark (for September). I'll still put in my request right at the 11 month mark, to be safe. I'm actually not locked into ANY particular view, as long as it doesn't fall into the "worst views ever!" thread category

pixiedust:

the worst view can vary - I don't like the odd number villas because most of them look across at other villa - these are pool/lake view. You can see everything if the windows are not covered....

prefer even number - as said north side high as possible. be sure that even number is first request. If you are lucky you might get a view of the MK - okay really mostly tomorrowland.

now some don't like that some MK views are most of the CR and GF than the MK.
others don't like that some of the lake view is CR.

just depends upon what you like.

Well, I'm currently totally in a pickle.

We decided to go 2014. I contacted David's, and then got stupid confused (totally my own fault). I thought when the rep came back with dates available, she meant the POINTS were available, so I got all excited and started planning. Points aren't available; I'm stuck in the queue. Totally freaking out.

So I decided to just book a regular room in the CR or WL, but online even THOSE aren't available, so I'll have to call, but I can't around the kids since it's a surprise. OMG, you guys. This has been one big stress after another the past for days :(

I never considered staying at the WL. We live in the mountains in Oregon and I alway felt it was to much like home, but you all have changed my mind. We are thinking about Dec 2015 too, and the WL just moved up out resort list. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter