• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm back.

aussiegirls

DIS Veteran
Hi guys

I haven't really been on here for a few years but thought I'd jump on again to say hi.

My girls and I are off to Disneyland again in January. This will be our 6th trip and we get more excited to go every single time.

This time we are going to NYC for a week first and are beyond excited for that. We have never been to NYC. We are then going to chill out for 2 weeks at Disneyland before coming home.

I am pretty annoyed about the AUD. I can't see it going up at all any time soon, ugh!!!!

Hope to meet some new friends in here and hopefully catch up with some familiar old faces.

Oh and I'm pretty sure we are Disneyland vets by now. Know the place like the back of our hand so id be more than happy to help anyone out if anyone has any Q's.

Hi, have fun planning.
Got excited for a minute thought it was someones report that just got home lol. No trip reports happening in here for a long time.

Welcome back. You will have an amazing time in NYC, I'm just a little jealous of you right now! :-)

Not sure old your girls are but here are a couple of things we found on our last trip that we'd not done before:

• Walk the highline - starts at in the meat packing district. Drop by the Chelsea Markets (home of youtube) while you are down that way, it's about 10 minute walk from the Highline start.
  • Eataly - massive Italian supermarket/food hall in the flatiron district on Broadway
  • Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and back over the Manhattan Bridge (or vice versa depending on where you are staying) - will take a couple of hours but well worth it to get shots of the city, plus you can see the Statue of liberty from Brooklyn Bridge.
  • Staten Island Ferry - free and takes you past the Statue if you don't want to make the trip to see it up close.
  • Work your 10% off travellers discount at Macys & Bloomingdales for all it's worth! LOL
  • Bryant Park has a cute market and free wifi in the park, just watchout for the "monk" looking for donations, he seemed to be only approaching tourists.
Naturally if it's your first trip you'll want to do the Empire State Building (great at night) and Top of the Rock (great during the day). Hint, don't get fooled by the upsell to "go on the ride experience" that is supposed to get you to the Top of the Empire State faster.... it doesn't, there, I've saved you the money, ask me how I know! LOL :rotfl:

Oh, and use the subway, it's so easy and fast to get around (free wifi on the subways as well). Tip: make sure you know your hotel zip code, you'll need it to buy the subway passes.

Have an amazing time!

Hi. I second crazy cat lady for every point she made - just haven't experienced Bryant Park market. Also Central Park blew us away - much more "wilder" parts than we expected which was great. The Highline also is a great walk and in an area full of delicious eateries. We stayed on the border of Meatpackers and Chelsea which was brilliant and became old hands at using the Subway. Jealous - I can't wait to go back to NY one day! and before we went we didn't think we'd like it. Followed by DL - bliss!

Thanks so much ladies.

My girls will be 16 and 13 when we go and I think it is the perfect age for NYC. We will just have fun together and it's not like dragging little kids around.

My youngest is quite the baker and wants to be a pastry chef when she grows up. Her fave shows on TV are the baking ones so she is determined to go to all the famous bakeries and cupcake stores in NYC, such as Carlos, Sprinkles, magnolia, Georgetown etc (I'm gonna come back 10kgs heavier, I'm sure).

We have a 2 day hop on hop off bus pass and are doing a movie and TV locations tour. We also have tickets for the Empire State Building and my oldest desperately wants to see Wicked on Broadway.

Thank you so much for the tips on the places to go, I'm sure we will visit a few of them.

I am getting even more excited now!!!!

We loved a place called Ellen's stardust diner. The servers at the diner are working there before they get there big breaks. They sing and dance while you are eating. I don't know where you are planning on staying but we stayed at doubletree Times Square and the location was great for us.

Helllloooo!!! Seems like we are back at the same time! I haven't been on for a while either and I never did get around to do the trip report of the 2013 trip!

Only 91 more sleeps for us now. I have a PTR up and running, haven't had much to report yet, but that will all change very soon! I can't believe the girls are that old. They were all so much younger back in 2010!!! Yep, it's been nearly 5 years since we did breakfast!!!
We are off to San Francisco first this year for a few days ( must go and see Walt's museum )and then we have our annual passes all set for Disneyland!

It's just Laura and I again and now she is 18 I am thinking this will probably be our last mother/daughter trip so I'm making the most of it!

Sounds like new York will be fabulous. It will be a wonderful place at time of year I'm sure. You may even get some snow!! Now that would be wonderful!!!

And as for the dollar, UGH is right!!! There will be no Disneyland Hotel for us this year!!!

Hey sue, great to see you back in here.

Yes, it doesn't seem like 5 years ago that we had breaky at the Plaza Inn. Our kids are all so grown. I don't know if this will be our last trip for a while too. My oldest wants to eat her way through italy for her 18th (and who can blame her really), so that will prob be our next trip after this one. And once she is over 18, who knows

I got a fabulous deal on a hotel directly across from
Disneyland, Anaheim desert inn and suites. So I'm happy that that's not going to cost an arm and a leg. also got a good deal in NYC on accommodation, but the dollar is still starting to worry me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter