I'm back...In more ways then one.

YoHo

If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
Hey guys, its your friendly neighborhood pirate.

I've been away from the boards for a couple of months, but I see Landbaron's name is still at the top of the active thread list, so I figure everything's pretty much the same.

I thought I'd stop in and report on my extremely impromptu (two days notice) trip down to Anaheim.
The good, the bad and the Ugly.

First off I had a wonderful time in Disneyland. I stayed at the Del Sol inn for most of the time (formerly Best Inn) it was an incredible rate and right at the main enterance. We drove 16 hours straight from Portland (I never new so much of California was boring) and went right out to get annual passes as soon as we were checked in.

Now for the report.

The Good.

Anaheim. I'm amayzed at how much work the city and surrounding buisnesses have put in to improving appearences. A huge change from when I was there christmas of 2000.

Soarin over California and Grizzly raqpids. Excellent attractions both. Its a darn shame they are in such a terrible excuse for a park.

New Orleans Square.
As someone born and raised on WDW, I must say that there is not one thing in all of Disney's Florida empire that can compete with New Orleans square and its mainly shopping.

The Penny arcade, bakery, mainstreet in general. All the way it should be.

The Bad.
There was some peeling paint, not as bad as I've seen, but still not good.

The Ugly
California adventure.
I so wanted to like this place. I knew I wouldn't, but I wanted to hope and pray that everyone was wrong. But too bad they weren't.

There are hints of true disney magic here that peek through the trash. A Bugs land is actually one of the best areas in the park even if it is just Fantasyland part two. Paradise pier on the otherhand is a travesty. I wouldn't mind the "Theme" if it were at least a half way decent amusment park, but it isn't it is worthless.

A few more comments.

I saw Mr. Iger present the new Disney Visa card at Sleeping Beauty Castle. big MEH to him, but I got a kick out of the president of Bank One who was escourted out by a very well cast Aurora. His face was beet red.

Rivers of America was closed and drained. It had a green picket fence around it to block things but the pickets weren't all equally spaced so you could see through in some places. At first I thought this was bad show until I realized that everyone was facinated to see it drained with the lilly belle and columbia sitting on their tracks. Plus, Tom Sawyer and Becky Thatcher conned guests into white washing the fence. All in all good show. Very little work was done during the day as well.

It was a fun trip and getting a season pass was a good investment. Just one more trip and its paid for itself.

It was a good time.

I've been away from the boards for a couple of months, but I see Landbaron's name is still at the top of the active thread list, so I figure everything's pretty much the same.
How could it possibly be the same without you?!?!?

WELCOME BACK!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BTW, nice trip report!

On behalf of all Southern Californians I must apologize for the weather done here the last few days. Mid to high seventies with lots of sunshine.

I know how spoiled you Northwesterners can get up there…

Hey at least the smog came back on Friday when I left.

Sorry about that too. But it's as close as we can get to that pulp mill smell out on the Columbia River by the airport. A poor subsitute, we're trying...

:) Hey, even the pulp mill is nothing compared to the scent of refineries wafting from Gary Indiana. I don't know what I do if I had to smell fresh unpolluted air.

Good to see you back, Yoho.

Your absence has cost you the exclamation point. However, it will be returned with a few of your signature, pithy, witty posts.

Your stance on the observation deck makes the possibility of Yoho! returning questionable. ;)

Glad to see you back and enjoyed your TR!!!!
I visited DL in Dec for the first time and was very impressed and while DCA isnt up to disney quality i found it not as bad as i thought it would be.
What did you think of the Aladdin Show??

The Aladdin show was good although for our particular show, the gentleman playing Aladdin was not a very strong singer or actor. His stunt double was better and actually looked better.

In fact I found it funny that both Aladdin and Jasmine were played by people of East Asian decent in the show. Yet, at the storytime place in Adventureland, they were both far more authenti looking. Given Aladdin's lack of singing skills, I have to wonder why he was chosen.

The Genie was brilliant. I've heard the other person who plays him is not as good.

Oh, and never let it be said that I approve of the situation on top of the contemporary. I merely think that there is more to this then guest complaints.

Welcome back and thanks for the report. I was pleasantly surprised by Disneyland when we visited it this past August and it's good to read MOSTLY good things about it. ;) I agree with your thoughts about DCA even though my son's delight when he discovered McDonald's did warm my heart. :p

Did you notice whether It's A Small World was finally completely painted? We enjoyed playing "spot the added brushstrokes" whenever we visited each day.

Interestingly, IASW is currently being repainted to whites and Golds instead of the pastels to reflect the paint job it had at the world's fair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter