• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm a novice - Magic or Wonder?

cstrong

Earning My Ears
Hello! My little brother and I are planning a Disney cruise for our parents' 40th anniversary next year. While I know extensively about the Disney resorts (my poor husband is totally sick of going to Disney but our kids aren't of course!), I know nothing about Disney's cruises. Please give me some much needed advice. The people who will be going include my parents, my brother, my husband, our kids (6 & 4), and me - just in case it makes a difference and we would like to go in late September for a week. Thank you in advance!

Order the DVD and dive into the boards. I am a DVL newbie myself, I am planning my first cruise but the few short weeks I have been on the boards has helped me tremendously! The big difference on the ship is the Wonder does the 3 of 4 night cruises and the Magic does the 7 nighters. There are excpetions of course. The first big decision is how long of a cruise do you want to take and then you will go from there. Happy planning have fun! :Pinkbounc

The Wonder doesn't have 7 night trips so the Magic it is. We went on our first Disney cruise for a week last October. The weather was great (we avoided all of the hurricanes). A 3 or 4 night trip would have been too short!! Some people book back to back Wonder trips but there must be some repetition of shows, etc. Enjoy your trip. It will be fabulous.

We started out with a 3 day cruise (just to make sure we liked it). We then took a 4 day and have taken 4 7 day cruises. Definately get Disneys Cruise Line video and watch it all. These boards are also a wealth of information and I would also reccomend reading these posts a lot.

pirate:

The Magic is much better.....because ...... you are on her much longer. :teeth: Great ports as well. The only "real" differences are the ports and length of cruises. There are subtle cosmetic differences such as the character hanging off the back (Goofy on the Magic, Ducks on the Wonder), Fisherman Mickey at the entrance to Lumiere's (one of the restaurants) on the Magic, Ariel at the entrance to Triton's (the same restaurant different name on Wonder), little things like that.

I am going on a cruise in Oct and it would be a 7 night Eastern cruise on the Wonder. I went two years ago on Magic for the 7 night Western Carribean.
ncmouselover said:
The Wonder doesn't have 7 night trips so the Magic it is. We went on our first Disney cruise for a week last October. The weather was great (we avoided all of the hurricanes). A 3 or 4 night trip would have been too short!! Some people book back to back Wonder trips but there must be some repetition of shows, etc. Enjoy your trip. It will be fabulous.

That seven day cruise on the Wonder must have been something special. Usually this ship does the 3 or 4 day.

AnnanOhio said:
I am going on a cruise in Oct and it would be a 7 night Eastern cruise on the Wonder. I went two years ago on Magic for the 7 night Western Carribean.

Wow, this October or next? I didn't know they ever did 7 days on the Wonder unless it was a special itinerary. No offense intended, but could your TA have said the Wonder when they really meant the Magic? On the Disney cruise site they only show the Magic doing that itinerary for both this and next October.

Well, now you've got me wondering... I am almost sure that it is not the same ship we were on last time. We were on the ship with Goofy on the front.

AnnanOhio said:
Well, now you've got me wondering... I am almost sure that it is not the same ship we were on last time. We were on the ship with Goofy on the front.

I know Goofy hangs off the back of the Magic... the front has Mickey painted on it. Not too sure about the Wonder as I've not been on her yet. You're TA didn't try to sell you a bridge at the same time, did s/he? :rotfl2: No, just kidding. :) They've been changing itineraries left and right at DCL to keep us on our toes, so who knows?

MelissaE1 said:
I know Goofy hangs off the back of the Magic... the front has Mickey painted on it. Not too sure about the Wonder as I've not been on her yet. You're TA didn't try to sell you a bridge at the same time, did s/he? :rotfl2: No, just kidding. :) They've been changing itineraries left and right at DCL to keep us on our toes, so who knows?

The Magic has Sorcerer Mickey on the bow and Goofy on the stern. The Wonder has teamboat Mickey on the bow and Donald on the stern.

The Magic has Lumiere's and Helmsman Mickey in the atrium and the Wonder is Triton's and Ariel in the Atrium.

There are other items that are named differently from one ship to the other but they serve the same purpose on each ship.

Other than the itineraries, the ships are virtually identical. Besides what everyone has mentioned already, there is one other cosmetic difference: the Magic's interior decoration is Art Deco while the Wonder's is Art Nouveau. I doubt this will affect your decision though, as you are looking at a seven-day cruise and that is the Magic's specialty (unless you get real lucky like we did and get a hurricane to upgrade your cruise to a 10-day cruise! :cool1: ).

-Erin

Thank you! I appreciate all the responses! What do you all think of the land/sea option versus just the sea option?

Unless the land is in addition to a 7 night cruise, do the just the sea. JMHO.

Either ship will be great. There are lots of fantastic things for all of you to enjoy on either ship. Even though it is Disney I dont think your husband will be over whelmed with Disney. The clubs in the evening are not decorated to remind him of Disney. The sports club is a great place for a lot of guys to hang out for a break from all the Disney themed places. So A cruise may be just the thing for him and there is plenty of traditional Disney stuff to satisify the kids and you. With a 40th anniversary be sure and tell who ever you book with that your celebrating a 40th anniversary as they will notify your wait staff and one night they will bring out a nice cake for dessert. NO charge!!!
Sometimes the message doesnt get through as it should, so be sure and remind your wait staff the first night about your special night. We did and it was great. Also there is a game show that they have called "Know your mate"
It is Disney's version of the Newly wed game. They usually pick the couple married the longest, the shortest and one somewhere in between. Your parents might get picked! It is really fun.
Hope you have a magical cruise.
mom x4,grandma x4

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter