I'm a little afraid to go on Matterhorn...

MischaOz

DIS Veteran
Help me out peeps! I'm a WDW vet going to DL for the first time. I'm reading about Matterhorn being too bumpy/jerky and now I'm a little afraid to go on it! But DD4 watched a YouTube video and that is all she can talk about... For point of reference at WDW I go on BTMR and 7DMT not problem, but EE did leave me with a little bit of a headache... What say you?!

I would try to get your DD excited about another ride. I rode the Matterhorn for the first time in several years last week and it was so bumpy. It hurt my back and the whole time I was waiting for it to be over. It is the one ride I regretted going on. I wish they could make it smoother but I guess some people like being thrown around on a ride.

When we rode it our last visit we were actually surprised - so many people had complained about how bumpy it was and we honestly were like "really, THAT is what everyone was complaining about?"

So had I not heard all the chatter about it beforehand I'd not have even noticed how bumpy it was.

Now mind you - it's a bobsled and they are not the most comfortable things to ride in, so to capture that experience in a ride, I am guessing the bumps are actually intentional?

WDW vet here - visited DL for 1st time last summer. Absolutely loved DL/DCA. I looked forward to trying Matterhorn but was sorely disappointed (somewhat literally lol). I'm not one to be all "ouchy" but Matterhorn is pretty rough. Specifically to my back & sides. There is no fast pass for this ride and lines get long early. Thankfully we at least didn't wait for it ( first folks in line early morning). I seriously could not believe the wait times that grew for it!

Interestingly enough we found Space Mountain far less jerky & even a bit slower (?) than in WDW.

Personally, I love the Matterhorn. If you do decide to do it, here are a couple of suggestions I have - ride the side facing Fantasyland - as you face the Matterhorn, it's the right side - because it's smoother than the Tomorrowland side. Fold up a sweatshirt or something, and use it as a cushion for your back on the ride. I don't really need it, but I have done it before and it does ease the bump against the seat.

The track is basically like the Space Mountain track at WDW, but bumpier. Also, it doesn't really seem fast to me. I think Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is faster myself.

That's funny I was going to suggest the tomorrowland side as less bumpy! I could be wrong though.
My best advice is to brace yourself with your feet and upper body. When I hold myself up off the seat a tiny bit it seems less bumpy. Good luck. It can be a bit painful.

When we rode it our last visit we were actually surprised - so many people had complained about how bumpy it was and we honestly were like "really, THAT is what everyone was complaining about?"
Second this. I've never been sure what the hubbub is about. My guess is that the complaints really have more to do with the hard-sided ride vehicles than the actual bumpiness (Indy is way bumpier and I don't see many complaints about it). I do take care when I sit down to make sure my shins are safe from hitting the side of the vehicle. Request to sit toward the front and that should help.

That said, it's not a very thrilling ride and I wouldn't miss it if skipped. I think the main appeal is nostalgia. If your DD likes coasters try to get her interested in BTMRR and Space. My understanding is that they're different from WDW versions and they're both smoother and more thrilling than Matterhorn.

I think the right side is better than the left side so I would ride that side if you are nervous about it.
It's really bumpy and jerky in my opinion, but as long as you are right up against the seat (don't lean forward) I feel like it makes it a little less like your body is getting thrown around everywhere.
I love the ride, but I can't ride it every time I go.

I'm on team too bumpy. I'll ride it every few trips if the kids want me to. But really its too bumpy for me.

I haven't been to Disneyland since 2012 and I usually avoid the Matterhorn because of the jerks and bumps. I also thought the ride was boring and not worth the wait. During our November trip the ride was a lot more smooth although I did find the ride more scary, which I liked, but my poor 6 y/o God son left that ride in tears.

OP, I neglected to add in my post that I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying Matterhorn, especially if this is a 1st time or only DL trip. It's definitely a defining ride of DL, and only in DL. I didn't enjoy it, was thrilled when it ended, but am glad I tried it. Strangely enough, I was freaked out about trying California Screamin' (the rather intimidating-looking coaster across the way at DCA), but since I am the designated coaster parent (husband gets the water rides), I accompanied my 11 yr old son, with my eyes glued shut. And? California Screamin' was as smooth as butter. Fast launch, kind of like WDW's RnR, but just as I was like "Wow, RnR is so smooth", Cali Screamin' was just as surprisingly smooth. I kind of loved it.

So much like everything else, mileage varies in these experiences.

I also think the Matterhorn is a bumpy ride, but I still like it (although, I do tend up a little sore and bruised so I only ride it once or so per trip). I think it's bumpier than BTMRR, 7DMT, or EE at WDW. It's been a while since I've ridden it, but I would probably say it's similar to Dinosaur in terms of jerkiness. I'm drawing a blank at the moment for anything with a similar level of bumpiness at WDW...but I keep coming back to the Safari ride at AK when you're going over the chains to simulate a rough road. There is less sway on the Matterhorn, but the up and down motion is similar. If you have something you can use to pad your bottom or back, I would do that. Otherwise, the best you can is brace yourself as much as possible with your feet and hands against the back of the seat. I honestly haven't really noticed much a difference between the left or right sides of the track. Like Space at MK, the Matterhorn has two different tracks at DL. You'll see approximately the same things, but in a different order depending on which side you ride.

It is rough and bumpy, but unless you have back issues or medical reasons not to ride it, you ought to try it, just to say you have ridden it once! On the coaster scale, the intensity level is more along the BTMRR side, not the EE side. You should judge it for yourself. I find it too rough and bumpy for me, but lots of people love it. I'd say give it a try with your DD, and if you don't like it, then try to discourage her from a 2nd ride. My DD (9) has decided she doesn't care for it, so I am off the hook on that one. Have a great trip!!! We are WDW vets who fell in love with DLR and have been going there every year for the past few years.

During our November trip the ride was a lot more smooth although I did find the ride more scary, which I liked, but my poor 6 y/o God son left that ride in tears.
Oh yeah that's another thing to keep in mind since your DD is young. I believe they changed the yeti and made it scarier, so make sure the video she watched is recent if she's sensitive to these things.

Interestingly enough we found Space Mountain far less jerky & even a bit slower (?) than in WDW.

No surprise. The only thing eastern Space has in common with western Space is the name and concept.

I've been on Matterhorn a few times since they decided to make it feel more like a real bobsled (seriously whose idea was that and how did it get greenlit?). Until July it was awful. First time I got a bruise on my leg that lasted ages. But in July it wasn't as bad. Not sure why. Maybe it was because that trip for us was so awful that being on a bobsled was easier lol.

Op remind your 4 year old that she will be in her own seat and can't/shouldn't look back at you (or if you're in front don't look back lest you get a spine injury). For little ones it can feel very lonely.

This was us- I didn't really notice too much of a difference, other than I miss the old honours system seatbelt cuddle seats :rolleyes1

Thank you all so much for your feedback! And bumbershoot you make a good point. I'm not worried about the abominable snowman (DD handled Dinosaur at AK just fine), but although she's a daredevil, she's always ridden side-by-side with me or DH. The single-row searing may be a deal-breaker (this trip anyway).

My DD LOVED Matterhorn when she was 4. She was bummed because it was closed during our trip last May. The ride is old and not exactly thrilling as far as coasters go, but it is bumpy/jerky. It's old. And the seats are uncomfortable. But that is really all there is to it. I'd say you should ride it because next time you go it may be closed. Seriously, it is closed for refurb a LOT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter