Illuminations view from Rose and Crown smokey?

jillyjill

Earning My Ears
I have ADR's for dinner at Rose and Crown during Illuminations. IS this location often clouded by smoke from the show? DO winds blow easterly regularly at Epcot? What a dissapointment to miss half the show due to the smoke. Anyone know about this?

JJ:surfweb:

We saw Illuminations from there once (part of Year of Million Dreams prize, which included glasses that made each point of light in fireworks into a Mickey head).

The smoke was not a problem, at all.

We've watched Illuminations from RC a few times and had smoke from the fireworks blow towards us about half the time.

I don't recall it taking away from the show and it was only heavy at the finale.

HTH, Steve

We've sat waterside at Rose and Crown about 5 times over the years for Illuminations. Only once did the wind blow the smoke toward us. It wasn't pleasant. We hadn't even thought of it occurring and wished we were standing somewhere so we could move. I guess we could have got up and walked out but hadn't finished dessert or paid yet.

It was not only the smell of the smoke but it interfered with seeing clearly also.

We've always gone in the fall. Sept/Oct/Nov.

I'm not sure how often the wind blows in that particular direction. Of the many times we've seen Illuminations, we haven't noticed a trend and it may even depend on the weather patterns of the time of year you're going.

That said, having the wind in your face regardless of where you are around the lagoon is the worst position for watching Illuminations. Not only does it get smoky, but you can end up with ash blowing at you as well. That happened to us once (yuck) - now we always check the wind direction before staking out a spot.

Keep the ADR's, they are hard to come by.
That evening, if the wind seems to be blowing towards the UK, cancel last minute if you feel that it's not worth the chance of getting smoke blown at you. As we all know, the wind changes at times, so it's up to you. It is lovely to see Illuminations from the R & C.

You are asking a question that can't be answered until that day or maybe not even until a few minutes before the show begins (and it might even change after that). It's all dependent on the wind which no one can control. You'll just have to decide for yourself if it's worth the risk (which is probably minimal). But there will be a chance that the wind will be blowing that way that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter