Illuminations from resort restaurants?

2plus2more

Earning My Ears
Hi, I'm new at this posting thing so please forgive me if I mess it up but I need help from all you experts. (BTW I'm envious - what an amazing thing to be expert at!!)

We will be at WDW for the first time in 25 years!! with DH & 2DS's 9. What's the best way to see Illuminations on our arrival night (Saturday) without using a day on our park hoppers? Any restaurant recommendations for this? I'm hoping for something very Disney to rev things up a little. We're staying at POR which looks close enough on the map but I haven't heard anyone say we can see it from there so I guess not???

I had decided on either the HDDR or O'Hanas (spelling?) & watch Wishes but just discovered that it starts at 10:00 that night which is too late for the DS's. Spectromagic will be at 9:00 but we can't see that off-site right? Actually, I'm not even sure what Spectro is.

I'm sure I'll lose my mind before I get this planned - but I'll go out happy :p

I'd say to go to the Boardwalk! Plenty of places to eat (how about Beaches and Cream for burgers, then order the Kitchen Sink for all of you to share for dessert - it's at the Beach Club, a short stroll). I think you can see part of Illuminations here.

Another idea - go to the Contemporary for a dinner at Chef Mickey's (I'm not nuts about the food, but Mickey is there), take the boys to the arcade here - it's huge - then go outside to watch the Electric Water Parade that goes across the lagoon. No fireworks in this plan, but it's very Disney.

Oh, and welcome!!!!!

no theres no resturaunt outside of Epcot to see illuminations. All you could do without entering the park is book a cruise, but they go fast.

HDDR is a fantastic way to begin your trip! We love it and usually do it on arrival day, because you dont need park admission. Also, depending on the timing, if you see an early show and take the boat over to the MK at the right time, you can see wishes from the lagoon. Our friends saw the early show and on the way back to the MK to catch the resort bus, they saw wishes from the lagoon. She said the driver went real slow and it was great.

The first night can be tough... There are lots of things to do though. You might check in to what time the outdoor movies at Fort Wilderness are playing. If they aren't too late, I think that's a fun way to spend your first night. They have little s'more kits for sale so that you don't have to bring your own. There's also a petting zoo at FW, so if you get there early enough, you could go there too. The petting zoo and movie is free.

As far as seeing Illuminations, you can't really see much more than some of the fireworks from the Boardwalk -- but the Boardwalk is a fun place in general if you hit it at the right time. There are some entertainers that really please the kids, face painting, pizza, etc. I don't know the Swan and Dolphin resorts well enough to know if there's a restaurant there where you could see more of Illuminations.

Spectromagic is the night-time parade and MK. You definitely can't see from outside the park.

You might think about spending your first night going to Boma's (at the Animal Kingdom Lodge) for dinner and then listening to the storyteller out on the patio and letting the kids looks at the animals. Or, you could head to Downtown Disney and let them play at Legoland or in the fountains. There are some places there to eat dinner or just grab a snack -- whichever.

Otherwise, your original choices of HDDR or O'hana's are both great ideas. An advantage to O'hana's is you can sneak a ride on the monorail -- when our boys were 9ish, they just loved the monorail! I'm sure you'll find time to catch Wishes another night...

Have a great time!

Thank You! Thank You! Wow, can't ask for better help than that!!

HDDR is still my first choice but I just ordered our tickets and am having trouble getting my brain around the extra money at this moment - timing is everything.

LOVE the boardwalk idea - sounds inexpensive with a little for everyone and the walking might be just what we need after 3 days of driving - and the kitchen sink which says "party time!"

Hadn't thought about the fountains at downtown Disney (even though I read about it somewhere here & it sounded fun) and we'd get a boat ride from POR. Also one of the DS's is a Lego maniac so he'd be in heaven.

But I'm still intrigued by Ohanas and you're right on about the monorail. When the boys saw it in one of the pamphlets they were asking questions so fast they were tripping over their words. I think it might help give us all a glimpse of the big picture as well. Sort of a tour to help understand the size of the place, a bit of a preview of what's to come.

Not sure which to chose but now I have 3 solid choices to discuss with DH.

Thanks again.

:sunny:

If you are looking for things to do without using your hopper, don't forget the EWP (Electric Water Pageant)! If you go to the 7:15 show of Hoop Dee Doo, after it is done, you can walk right out to the beach at Ft. Wilderness and watch the show. Be sure to bring mosquito repellant!!

Illuminations really needs to be viewed inside Epcot. You just miss too much of the effects in the water.

Save Illuminations for a day you can go into the park.

Going to Beaches and Cream and spending time at the boardwalk would be a lot of fun for your boys.

But, I think they might enjoy a monorail ride and dinner at 'Ohanas a little more. Actually. it's the monorail they'll love. From POR take a bus to MK and ride the resort monorailto the Poly. You'll stop at CR first. Your kids will love how it goes right into the hotel. You may even want to leave extra time to stop and explore all three monorail resorts before dinner. And, as others have said, you can see the EWP from the beach at Poly. That would be my choice if you don't want to spend the money for HDD.

Have fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter