Illuminations dessert party?

Ceryssa

DIS Veteran
We cancelled the Wishes one due to the view not being what my husband wanted. Has anyone done this one? Worth it/not?

DD and I enjoyed it. I think chairs would drastically improve it, but we were at least able to grab a table with a rail behind it. The desserts were good, and the view was excellent. The night we were there, the areas we walked through before the party were already getting crowded, and as I am not a fan of crowds, I was happy to have some space.

This one is apparently the opposite of the Wishes party - the view is great, but the dessert selection is smaller and there are no chairs.

Do they have anything like fruit or cheese and crackers? DH doesn't have a sweet tooth and we don't drink. Wondering if the view is worth it?

Well we had an iced water chaser. But they have the basically the same drinks as Wishes. I do remember the coffee was good. They had fruit and lots of cookies. I just could not free myself from the Kahlua fried donuts.

We loved the Illuminations Dessert Party - much more than Wishes. Absolutely, Illuminations offers fewer dessert choices. But in our opinion, quality of the desserts at Illuminations is much higher. And the atmosphere was much more relaxed at Illuminations. There are certainly many places to enjoy Illuminations, so the party isn't a necessity. But we thought the desserts were higher quality, we enjoy an "event" and the uncrowded viewing location was fun and festive.

I don't mind less options, as long as they aren't your standard cupcake/cream puff type deal. The list on the website looks pretty good, but no idea if it's accurate. The only thing is I was hoping to catch an Eat to the Beat concert that night, and wouldn't want to miss any of the party. @pixarmom did you have kids with you? Did they enjoy it?

Yes, the kids were with us and they LOVED it. First, the buffet was uncrowded most of the time, so it was easy for them to review the options and we didn't have to hurry them along. Our oldest is a teenager, and he loved the desserts - especially the fruit cobbler-type options. Our youngest is 8 years old and he also loved the desserts (they did not have mickey bars, but they served yellow cupcakes with blue frosting and glitter, rice krispie treats and scooped ice cream with toppings.) Our kids also loved the energy and the interaction with other kids. Several of the kids were dancing and our youngest really connected with the others. A CM at the FP entry was waving his light around and the kids all started to mimic his motions before the show started. Then it turned into a game, with the CM doing silly motions and the kids following along. Those who got tired sit on the edge of the curb or on the ground, and the rest were up and dancing through the show, sharing glow cubes and light sticks, etc. Of course, this won't be the case every time, but it had a very different energy from our experience with buffet swarming (the chocolate covered strawberry hoarding became a family joke!) and rail crowding at Wishes.

This definitely sounds like it might be more our style. There's one open for the night we'd need...maybe I should book it. I'm a little worried my husband won't care for it, since he's not a big dessert person. But he'd drink coffee and some of the alcoholic stuff. Thanks for all the helpful info guys! If you remember any more details please let me know :)

Reading this thread and on Facebook people were discussing Wishes Dessert Party VS Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party made me decide to do the Illuminations Party in August!!! I just booked it. Payment was required at booking, and the total is $98 for 2 adults and includes tax and gratuities. I can't wait!!!

We are booked for the illuminations on 8/14. We have a 5 year old, 10 and 15. Can we bring chairs?

We are booked for the illuminations on 8/14. We have a 5 year old, 10 and 15. Can we bring chairs?

As far as I know you are not allowed to bring Chairs into the park with you at any time. The exception would be wheel chairs, ECV's & walkers for those who physically require them for health/medical reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter