Illuminations Cruise for Vow Renewal?

grovberg

Earning My Ears
I'm looking for something interesting to do for our wedding anniversary and happened upon the Illuminations Cruise. Would it be totally unreasonable to try and have a vow renewal there on the ship? Any way I could communicate that to the captain ahead of time to make sure he/she is okay/prepared for that? I have plenty of time to plan (18 months or so).

If this is a bad idea, anyone have any alternate suggestions? All the wedding stuff on Disney's site is WAY too big for what we're hoping to accomplish.

Hello and welcome to the Dis! :goodvibes

DH and I also wanted to do a small vow renewal, much like it sounds like you want. Just the two of us, intimate, no flowers, etc.

I called Disney - they said the only vow renewals/weddings they officially "allow" are the ones booked directly through them (yes, the cheapest package is around $2,000). When I explained to them that we didn't want anything like that, she apologized and said this was all they offered and did not condone anything otherwise. In other words, no outside preachers/officiants ... nothing done "on your own".

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. DH and I have decided on our upcoming trip to just repeat our vows quietly recommitting ourselves to each other privately during Wishes ... with thousands of our closest new friends surrounding us. ;) Perhaps you could do the same.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond. That at least gives me some information to work with and it's good to know that Disney doesn't have something official that I'm missing so I won't spend any more time looking into that.

As to what they do or do not condone, unless the captain is going to leap upon us and wrestle us to the ground, I can't imagine someone stopping us from standing up in front of our friends who are also on the boat, holding hands, and saying our vows to one another. :rolleyes1

As I think about it, I guess what I really need to know is if the pontoons are the "mill about standing" kind or the "please stay in your seat until we have come to a complete stop" kind. They may not need to wrestle us to the ground if the sloshing of the boat would topple us.

Thanks again for responding.

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond. That at least gives me some information to work with and it's good to know that Disney doesn't have something official that I'm missing so I won't spend any more time looking into that.

As to what they do or do not condone, unless the captain is going to leap upon us and wrestle us to the ground, I can't imagine someone stopping us from standing up in front of our friends who are also on the boat, holding hands, and saying our vows to one another. :rolleyes1

As I think about it, I guess what I really need to know is if the pontoons are the "mill about standing" kind or the "please stay in your seat until we have come to a complete stop" kind. They may not need to wrestle us to the ground if the sloshing of the boat would topple us.

Thanks again for responding.

You're most welcome!

I don't know about the boats being "sit-only". That's probably your first order of business, finding that out. If you find out you can stand, I would just do it and let it play out. As you said, once you're out there, I don't think the captain will do much to stop it. ;)

Best wishes to you! pixiedust:

IF you do decided to try the VR on the boat - just be aware the boats are "lined up" (like in a parking lot) immediately before and during the fireworks - you are right next to others (for us that would be too intrusive and not romantic enough)....but I think before the fireworks you get to cruise around beforehand - so that might be the better time to actually "exchange" your vows...I take it you are going to just exchange personal vows without any "official" ceremoney???

Hubby and I went for the Memories packages - just the two of us for the ceremony itself - Luau Beach at the Poly - it was perfect!!!! You get violinist, bouquet and pictures.........you do have to hire an officiant - but we also wrote and exchanged our own vows -

Good luck and have fun planning - I know whatever you decided it will be special....:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter