• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ikea kitchen cabinets ?

Question, considering they keep many of the same styles and update colors, is it possible you could do a door only change out in about 5 years if they carry the same line?

Here is my Ikea kitchen....love love the soft closing drawers and they clean up so easily:) Highly recommend! It was so affordable!
kitchencj.jpg

I can't believe that was affordable, it looks so high end, esp with that backsplash. It's super fancy pants!!! :cool1:

Question, considering they keep many of the same styles and update colors, is it possible you could do a door only change out in about 5 years if they carry the same line?

Yes, that is exactly what the sales guy told us. They all use the same "boxes", so any doors and drawer fronts would fit. They don't change that! The boxes have a 25 year warranty, too, and they are the most expensive part of the cabinets. The doors and fronts actually just POP off!

Yes, that is exactly what the sales guy told us. They all use the same "boxes", so any doors and drawer fronts would fit. They don't change that! The boxes have a 25 year warranty, too, and they are the most expensive part of the cabinets. The doors and fronts actually just POP off!

I have an Ikea kitchen also.

I priced out at Lowes, Home Depot and two kitchen design centers. Ikea was about 1/3 the cost. At the time, I was also considering how long I would be staying in the home. A 10k investment (some appliances) was definitely better then 35K. $2200 of that was granite. (Could have done a non granite surface a lot cheaper also.)

What I most liked was the Euro style boxes because I felt the space was more usable. And - the idea that I could change my doors and change the look and colors was also appealing. I was able to pick out all the doodads I wanted and several times I changed things and easily returned what I didn't use.

There is no damage or noticeable wear to my kitchen. After almost 3 years it is in excellent shape.

I love IKEA and have always thought their cabinets were nice looking. But a word of warning that I heard from DH who is a contractor. He said that the IKEA cabinets are incredibly difficult to install. The customer also ordered cabinets before hiring him and he found out later that IKEA had misguided them on the measurements. So I strongly suggest that you understand the installation if you are doing it yourself or wait to order the cabinets until you have hired a contractor.

I'm surprised to hear him say that the cabinets are hard to install. Mine were installed by my three sons! My oldest is an electrician, so he does have some experience with construction in general terms, but no actual experience installing cabinets, and they didn't find it hard at all. The instructions were very clear and easy to follow.

TP

I can't believe that was affordable, it looks so high end, esp with that backsplash. It's super fancy pants!!! :cool1:

LOL! Thank you very much:) Its almost embarrassing how cheap this kitchen was. We got a great deal..they gave us 20% off our total price during their yearly kitchen sale if we bought the appliances too. So all of the appliances minus the stove are from Ikea also. They are all Whirlpool. Thank you for the compliment on the backsplash:) It is my favorite part of the kitchen. That and the granite we got from a local granite company. My only advice is to plan on spending an entire day in the kitchen department at Ikea doing the ordering. Get there early and go on a week day. We were there when they opened and staggered out about 5 hours later lol. We used someone that specializes in installing Ikea kitchens to install the cabinets. My whole kitchen was done in less than a week. That included all the cabinetry, the flooring and doing the cutout in the wall. The biggest draw for me was the fact that I can pop off the cabinet fronts in like 5-10 years if I want and do a completely different color kitchen. The fronts literally pop right off. It's awesome!

Those of you who have had your cabinets awhile how do they hold up against kids, dogs, husbands, etc...? My family is very hard on things. I don't have a single door in my kitchen that doesn't have a chip or chunk out and hasn't had the front of the drawer screwed back on from it falling off of it and they are solid maple:sick:but came prefinished off white. They are 13yrs old and I've been begging for the last 5 for new ones.
We own a few Ikea dressers and they are junk the bottoms fall out, the fronts fall off, the drawers don't close properly. I vowed never to buy anything from Ikea with drawers. That said I absolutely love the look of their kitchen cabinets but I've always wondered how well they hold up.
Thanks!

This has been my experience as well. We purchased a large storage unit for DD's bedroom and it started falling apart about 18 months after we purchased it. Then DS decided he wanted a bed and dresser for his room (he was older and purchased it himself). The dresser started falling apart about 2 years after purchase.

No way would I invest another dime into something from IKEA, but I do like the look of a lot of their merchandise.

We have the huge wardrobe closets from Ikea as well as the Malm series in our bedroom and I have to say...it's fab. We haven't had any issues with drawer bottoms falling out or anything like that at all. :confused3

We have the huge wardrobe closets from Ikea as well as the Malm series in our bedroom and I have to say...it's fab. We haven't had any issues with drawer bottoms falling out or anything like that at all. :confused3

DD has a Malm dresser and the front of one drawer keeps detaching (DH keeps gluing it back on). It is about 5 yo and still looks pretty good. I have to say DD was VERY hard on it. Considering what I paid, I think I got my money's worth. Her IKEA bed, however, is solid!

The kitchens are a different story. From what I have seen they are much better constructed than the "low end" Malm stuff. I can't really afford a new kitchen right now, but I am seriously considering an IKEA kitchen when I finally budget for a renovation.

Here, too. We have a ton of IKEA furniture, and we haven't had issues with any of it. We've had Billy bookcases for 12 years, they are still in fantastic shape.

All of our bedrooms have Malm dressers = they look as good as the day we bought them. The kids have Ikea Beds = Still in fantastic shape.

We have some wood frame chairs with cushions (I forget what they are called) with ottomans - They have seen HEAVY, DAILY use with three kids and a large dog = still look and feel fantastic.

We love IKEA.

I haven't done a kitchen in IKEA, but I have done a large walk-in-closet with all the IKEA closet organizers that is about 10 years old and it still looks brand new

I absolutely love it!

I didn't read all of the other replies but when we bought our house in 1991, we gutted the kitchen and installed Ikea cabinets. In those 22 years, we've replaced a few hinges and I want my husband to cover the very bottom (it was a laminate with wood grain pasted to it back then). Other than those 2 minor things, the cabinets have held up very well.

I forgot to say that both of my daughters were born after we bought the house. We have also had 3 dogs and I am a habitual door slammer (cars, doors, cabinets, drawers).

Here is my Ikea kitchen....love love the soft closing drawers and they clean up so easily:) Highly recommend! It was so affordable!
kitchencj.jpg

This is lovely! Can we ask what the total was? You mentioned you hired installers? Did they assemble as well, or did you assemble and they installed?

I did Ikea cabinets back in 2005 and they have held up great so far and are in a rental house now. They were much cheaper than the hardware stores but a pain to install yourself but I just set up an assembly line and would put a few together each night. Its nice to be able to customize them so affordably.

Loving the Ikea Kitchen love. I work at Ikea and it makes me happy when people love our products. I did not read every post but I want to make sure everyone is aware that we do promotions where you get gift cards back for future purchases about every 4 months. 10 to 20 % back depending on the number of appliances you buy. The minimum value to get the gift cards is 1,000$ not very had to pass when you redo your kitchen. If anyone is heading to Ikea in Ottawa (Canada) we'd love to help you out and when coming through the cash look for Heather (That's me :cool1: I can always go for a great Disney chat)

so BEAUTIFUL!!!! so want to do our kitchen, do you mind me asking about how much do the cabinets cost

Thank you ...I believe we paid about 6500 for the cabinets and all the appliances (minus the stove) when the kitchen sale was going on!:goodvibes. Ofcourse that does not include the granite, the backsplash, stove, the flooring and some minor construction work we had done. The granite was costly because we had a large island that drops down into a table with stools and I didn't want a seam. However, because the company we worked with recommended we wait until the kitchen sale to buy, it gave me a few months time to haggle with the granite company to get the price I wanted per sq foot:)

To the other poster that asked..we had the installers assemble the cabinets as well. We were going to do it but the price they quoted us was so reasonable and included gutting our exisiting kitchen and assembling the cabinets as well so we went for it:)

Good luck to everyone getting Ikea cabinets. We are very happy with ours and I would definitely do it again. In fact we are doing an Ikea bathroom in our downstairs bath next:)

I can frankly suggest if you want a good quality of wood then don't go for big brand names. You can get same quality of wood in cheap prices as well. And many different companies are providing a ready to assemble kitchen cabinets.

Last year I bought a white kitchen cabinets from The RTA store and which cost about $1499 and they also provide a installation as well. I don't need to go anywhere to buy countertops and other basic requirements. No doubt IKEA is a big brand name since a long time but why not to use other option when you can get same cabinets at cheap prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter