• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ikea Hemnes (3 Drawer) Daybed

donnajz

DIS Veteran
I posted before about buying the Hemnes bedroom furniture from Ikea for DD21 after she fell in love with the Hemnes 3 drawer daybed. We are still tossing this around, however, I am concerned we will not be able to use a standard twin size mattress and twin size bedding (which we already bought).

For those of you with the Hemnes daybed, will a standard twin size mattress fit okay so she can I use the twin size bedding we bought or will it not work?

I would do to Ikea.com and look up the measurements for their single mattresses. Then compare it to the measurements of the mattress you have.

See, if the site gives a suggestions as to what mattress to use and compare sizes.

I posted before about buying the Hemnes bedroom furniture from Ikea for DD21 after she fell in love with the Hemnes 3 drawer daybed. We are still tossing this around, however, I am concerned we will not be able to use a standard twin size mattress and twin size bedding (which we already bought).

For those of you with the Hemnes daybed, will a standard twin size mattress fit okay so she can I use the twin size bedding we bought or will it not work?

Standard fits, however, the bed tends to fall apart! The drawers come off of their tracks a LOT if the bed is on carpet. On hard floors, it might be better.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

VP

My daughter has a standard mattress on hers and it fits just fine. We have had no troubles with her bed so far and its still very solid..even after a few years. She uses the drawers as a dresser and they seem to be fine too. I will admit that we only slide out the bed (to make it bigger) when she has a friend spend that night and thats not that often. We use a blow up twin size mattress for her friends to sleep on when they come and place it next to her mattress and it works great for them.

Standard fits, however, the bed tends to fall apart! The drawers come off of their tracks a LOT if the bed is on carpet. On hard floors, it might be better.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

VP

Are you saying the bed generally has a tendancy to fall apart...or just when used with a standard size twin mattress?

My daughter has a standard mattress on hers and it fits just fine. We have had no troubles with her bed so far and its still very solid..even after a few years. She uses the drawers as a dresser and they seem to be fine too. I will admit that we only slide out the bed (to make it bigger) when she has a friend spend that night and thats not that often. We use a blow up twin size mattress for her friends to sleep on when they come and place it next to her mattress and it works great for them.

Isn't the standard mattress about 5 inches wider than the daybed?

I would assume if it is put together correctly, it will hold up for you. A daybed is usually a basic twin. I can't see Ikea making a bed that you need a special size mattress for. All of their other beds are standard. You could always ask at the store though, just to be sure.

The standard twin mattress fits perfectly on it. Ikea twin mattresses have the same dimensions are regular twins except for thickness.

As for falling apart, the hardware on ours was very cheap. We're pretty particular about making sure we assemble correctly and that we tighten screws properly, etc. Repeated use of the trundle and the drawers resulted in things coming off of the tracks regularly, which eventually led to boards coming apart.

We are big Ikea fans and almost all of our kids' furniture is Ikea, so we were surprised by our experience with this bed.

YMMV

I have two of these beds. They have held up well. Both are used nightly for we purchased the first 8 years ago the other 3 years ago. We use standard twin pillowtop mattresses on both beds. We do not use the trundle on either. The beds are installed on carpeted floors and it (the trundle) is virtually impossible to pull out. 1 of the drawers in the newer bed needs new hardware. We believe that a child decided to stand in the drawer during a party. We have lots of IKEA stuff and find that wood glue is essential when putting the furnishings together.

DD17 has this bed, has used it for about 7 years now. We bought the mattress that fit at IKEA but we do use standard bedding with no problems. Ours has held up fine, DD uses the drawers to store extra bedding and she does open the drawers often. She has a carpeted floor.

I have two of these beds. They have held up well. Both are used nightly for we purchased the first 8 years ago the other 3 years ago. We use standard twin pillowtop mattresses on both beds. We do not use the trundle on either. The beds are installed on carpeted floors and it (the trundle) is virtually impossible to pull out. 1 of the drawers in the newer bed needs new hardware. We believe that a child decided to stand in the drawer during a party. We have lots of IKEA stuff and find that wood glue is essential when putting the furnishings together.

We are going to have the furniture assembled by whomever assembles furniture for Ikea in our area. The cost is $250 -- well worth the headache and arguing with my DH. I wonder if we bought wood glue if the assemblers would be willing to use it during assembly??? :confused3

We are going to have the furniture assembled by whomever assembles furniture for Ikea in our area. The cost is $250 -- well worth the headache and arguing with my DH. I wonder if we bought wood glue if the assemblers would be willing to use it during assembly??? :confused3

For $550 you could have a much nicer solid wood bed.

We have a different IKEA bed and while I love the design and uniqueness of it, its particle board and disposable.

We have lots of IKEA stuff and find that wood glue is essential when putting the furnishings together.

My 2 cents: I also have a lot of IKEA items (bed, dresser, table, shelving unit) & have never used wood glue when assembling and (knock on wood) they have all held up for years with regular use.

Side note: I have a Hemnes dresser for quite a few years now & I love it. Drawers have never slid off tracks in the dresser (but the daybed tracks may be quite different)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter