Ikea Furniture

naomiatx86

Mouseketeer
Hello!

Does anybody here have Ikea furniture? Has it lasted? Is it you get what you paid for?

My hubby & I want a king size bed and I like the prices at Ikea but don't know anybody who has an Ikea bed.

We are also looking at a loveseat and a dining table set. (Yea, I shouldn't have been looking at the whole catalog...:thumbsup2)

We have a lot of ikea furniture . We have a couple entertainment centers, shelves, a couple dressers,bookcases, poang chairs, a desk, two twin beds and a queen size bed.

Some of it we have had for 8-9 years, the beds we have had for about 2 or 3 years. DS has two wooden twin beds, DH and I have a queen size Malm bed. We have had no problems or complaints.

It really depends on the product. Their more inexpensive sofas are just plain terrible, but we have Malm dressers and my fella has had his for 10 years. (I got mine a few weeks ago so that they would finally match) we also have a Malm queen bed (make sure you get the supports) and it's great, however if you use a boxspring on this line the bed is higher than the headboard. We have friends who have their leather sofas and have lasted over 2 years and still look like new. I hope this helps.

I have a kitchen island from IKEA that I absolutely love! We also have bedroom furniture (the HEMNES line). We don't have beds or sofas from there, but my daughter is wanting a bed from there for her birthday, so we will be making another trip to the store. I have a friend that has furnished nearly her entire house with IKEA stuff and loves it.

We also have a lot of Ikea furniture. Our bed is Ikea and it is about 5 years old. We have moved 6 times in the past 5 years and one time was cross country. It is still great. We have Ikea dressers, lamps, couch, bunk bed and rugs. I am looking at buying some new Ikea furniture after our move in May (Hopefully the LAST move for a LONG time). Anyway, I full endorse them.

i took the ikea plunge last year. i had a kitchen cart that was handed down from my brother and one in my kitchen as a built in of sorts that my landlord put in to go with the cabinets and both held up really well so i figured why not? i got 2 hemnes dressers and a nightstand. i did not get my bed there, i wanted no headboard and instead got a frame with mattress at macys.

my sister in law has the same hemnes tall dresser as me and has had it for years (through at least 6 moves) and it looks good. they had an ikea headboard but not frame and it did well. they also had a desk and bookshelf.

just a warning, their customer service sucks, so be very careful if you buy one to ensure the one you get is in good condition and be careful putting together.

We bought a dining table and chairs a little over a year ago, and have been very happy with them. No problems so far!

Hello!

Does anybody here have Ikea furniture? Has it lasted? Is it you get what you paid for?

My hubby & I want a king size bed and I like the prices at Ikea but don't know anybody who has an Ikea bed.

We are also looking at a loveseat and a dining table set. (Yea, I shouldn't have been looking at the whole catalog...:thumbsup2)

We won't buy soft furniture from them (couches, etc.) but we own... 8 Billys? Maybe 9? We LOVE their bookshelves and have done well with desks and things too. DS's bedframe is IKEA (Malm, I think) and while we chose to buy a higher end mattress than they sell, I have heard good things about their mattresses.

I have a ton of Ikea furniture and it's lasted for years. The bed is the cast iron white frame, I can't remember the name of it, but it's held up very well and never creaks or gets wobbly. It's been assembled and disassembled through at least 8 apartment moves too. I have the white malm dresser and it's held up super well and the drawers never have stuck. I think I've had it about 10 years now. I have the expedit shelves and they are really functional and have held up through 5-6 apartment moves. The couches are okay, I've gone through 2. The first one was their cheapest model and it fell apart during the second move, but the second one I got was the ektorp and it's lasted about 5 moves. The dining tables and chairs are of decent quality, but I feel that they're too short for taller people like my father and a few of my guy friends to use. The chairs can get rickety depending on the weight of the person sitting in them, I usually have to tighten the screws every few months. But I have neighbors, family, and friends over constantly for dinner and they get a LOT of use and are still hanging in there.

We love our Ikea couches! I especially like the idea that I can wash all the fabric or even replace them if we get sick of the white with black flowers pattern. (3 years and still going strong!)

I was just at Ikea yesterday. Anyway, we have a good amount of their furniture. Our kitchen table and chairs are 15 years old and still in great shape (except for where the kids have marked it up). Not bad for $200.

just a warning, their customer service sucks, so be very careful if you buy one to ensure the one you get is in good condition and be careful putting together.

Experiences may vary here. I've brought back Ikea items many times and easily exchanged for a new package. Sometimes because of damage inside the pack that couldn't be seen until opened or perhaps a missing part. They give you a time limit to return an item which is printed on the receipt, but I've also returned without the receipt and have received a store credit on a gift card.

As far as Ikea furniture is concerned, if I expect to have a furniture piece forever, I am not shopping for it at Ikea.
I think Ikea is great to quickly furnish an apartment, or to buy items that you expect to change styles in a few years - I know I love stuff for a few years, than I decide I would love something new - everything I love will not become an heirloom or a vintage piece, lol.

Or - if I have a child and I want something to last for 5-10 years, I'm fine with many Ikea products. We've had Hemnes tall dresser and desk in a child's room and it is still in perfect condition after quite a few years. The child is now grown and we are about to replace those items. They will sell on Craigslist in my area for easily one third of the price I paid, maybe more.

In fact, I may do better clearing out the Ikea stuff on CL than some of the Ethan Allen (such as $1500 armoire that will only net $100 if it sells at all!)
Compare that to the $249 paid for that Hemnes dresser that will sell after 7 years for $125.

I can't think of a room in our home that we dont have IKEA furniture in.

Our ENTIRE playroom is 100% IKEA.

We've got stuff from when we lived in Europe that we bought there, moved it in shipping containers back to the US and is still in great shape.

Our dressers, desks, the kids dressers, & desks, bookshelves, our entertainment system in the living room, kitchen buffet, etc.

The only thing I can think of is a $99 couch we bought for the playroom that we beat to death, the fabric stained very easily. The couch is on the list for a recovering, other than that it's, still great !

We moved to CA in 2008. We left Boston but kept our Boston home totally furnished.

So we decided to go to IKEA to furnish my 3 bedroom townhome here in OC.

Every.single.item in my home is from Ikea including all the dishes, pots and pans, towels, bedding, lamps besides the furniture.

We have the HEMNES King bedroom set. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/11731/ In the dark wood. Absolutely love it.

For the living room we have the EKTORP furniture. Couch, chairs, footstools.http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/07488/

We paid the $50.00 to have all the furniture delivered. But DH and I put it all together.

We have been VERY happy with everything Ikea and we are headed there today!!!

We moved in our house almost 7 years ago. We have a tv table, coffee table, 2 end tables, a corner desk hutch, closet, shoe bench and coat hook shelf. Held up all this time with a then teenage son and now a soon to be three year old.

We moved in our house almost 7 years ago. We have a tv table, coffee table, 2 end tables, a corner desk hutch, closet, shoe bench and coat hook shelf. Held up all this time with a then teenage son and now a soon to be three year old.

:rotfl:

renee, do you mean the other way around???

If you really shop at IKEA a lot, you will notice that they basically have three different quality levels.

The low end stuff is usually very trendy stuff that will last 1-2 years with regular use.

The mid level stuff is made better, with better materials, and can easily last 3-5 years.

Then you will find the solid wood furniture - not solid wood as in SOLID wood - but solid as in pieced wood that isn't particle board/OSB.

We have a sofa table and tall corner shelf in our living room that are solid wood, and I can easily see that furniture lasting 20+ years. It is solid furniture, and easily survived through bumps and dings.

We just put a three piece corner book shelf set in our office - it is the BILLY line - and for around $300 or so, we couldn't have found a better fit, better storage, and better style for the price. It took about a full day to get everything put together.

DO NOT attempt to put large pieces together with the included tiny tool - you WILL get tendonitis! HAHA Yes, I speak from experience!

Craftsman makes a great rechargeable driver that comes with all of the standard bits you would need to put together IKEA furniture! They usually have it on sale for $18-$25 (Normally $35) It charges fully in about 6 hours, and recharges in just a few hours. It also comes with a nice case.

I've never had a piece of IKEA furniture fail - it always hold up!

We're another Ikea family. My husband was joking this morning that if we move most of our furniture is bolted to the wall- we love the Besta units.

Our oldest Ikea shelves are in the garage now but they started life as the entertainment center in my husband's college apartment over twenty years ago. We store our hurricane water on them so they are holding a lot of weight! I also love out Ektorp sofas, being able to change the slipcovers had made it easy for us to add pieces to the set and it never looks dated. One of our Ektorps is 14 years old.

Some of the really inexpensive pieces are sort of flimsy but over all they make very sturdy furniture that breaks down very easily if you need to move or keep it in storage for a while.

We bought a kitchen table and 4 chairs when we moved into this house 11 years ago. They were just supposed to hold us over 'til we re-did the kitchen but they are still in use and holding up well. The chairs are only plastic so I'm surprised how long they've lasted under continuous usage.

We also bought a sofa for our basement about 6 years ago and my husband (he spends the most time down there) loves it, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter