Ike

If you look at a map look at a map of Galveston Island or an overhead satilitte view you will see that from the far east end of the island extending westward is a 17 ft high seawall protecting the biggest part of the island, where all the businesses, resturants, and historic areas are located. It runs I think about 15 or 16 miles before it ends. There is a lot more island past the seawall and all of the pictures posted are from that area. The highest point of land on that part of the island is only a couple of feet above sea level. When I was growing up and going down there to fish there was not much in the way of development on that end of the island. Today beach homes stretch all the way to the far end of the island where San Luis pass is located and the toll bridge to Brazoria County and eventually Freeport. Some of these homes are valued over a half a million dollars. I know they are great and wonderful vacation spots but I still seriously question why they build them. Over the years parts of the west end of the island have gotten eroded down to only about 100 ft from the gulf to Galveston Bay. Developers have built up the area by dredging sand in to create more area to build. They are fighting Mother Nature and the one thing that time should have taught us is that in the end she always wins. Hopefully the only thing lost there during the storm was property and no lives. One of the big reasons Galveston allows the construction is for the tax revinue it generates. In Texas we pay property taxes based on the assessed value of the house and land. We pay a little under 3% of the value in taxes each year. We have homested exemption laws that allow us to keep our primary residence from going up in value for tax purposes more than 10% a years, however there is no such exemption available for second homes and vacation homes so their values have skyrocketed in the last 10 years which means Galveston has collected record amounts of taxes. An article in the Houston paper yesterday says that as of the day after the storm half of Galvestons tax base has been destroyed. It's going to make findin the money for the restoration of Galveston that much harder.

I lived in the west-end of Galveston. we have not been back to galveston,but we have seen pics of what was our home. well, we heard there is a lion roaming around crystal beach and he is very hungry. we also know that they are keeping all the flooding deaths a big hush. i was told they sent in 250 body bags for just crystal beach. i know that there were a bunch of flooding deaths in jefferson county-bridge city and orange area and they still don't know the count in that area bc of the gators:scared: we also heard that the cows are going crazy in crystal beach from drinking the salt water. well, we are taking it day by day. it's so hard to deal w/ the insurance company. we have flood , windstorm ,hail and hurricane and they still don't want to pay for anything:mad: if anybody has heard all of this stuff please let me know. i don't know what is true and what is lies. we have chosen to still go on our disney trip in dec,so the kids and get things off their minds for a little while. this will be our first trip to disney world.

I lived in the west-end of Galveston. we have not been back to galveston,but we have seen pics of what was our home. well, we heard there is a lion roaming around crystal beach and he is very hungry. we also know that they are keeping all the flooding deaths a big hush. i was told they sent in 250 body bags for just crystal beach. i know that there were a bunch of flooding deaths in jefferson county-bridge city and orange area and they still don't know the count in that area bc of the gators:scared: we also heard that the cows are going crazy in crystal beach from drinking the salt water. well, we are taking it day by day. it's so hard to deal w/ the insurance company. we have flood , windstorm ,hail and hurricane and they still don't want to pay for anything:mad: if anybody has heard all of this stuff please let me know. i don't know what is true and what is lies. we have chosen to still go on our disney trip in dec,so the kids and get things off their minds for a little while. this will be our first trip to disney world.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.:hug: Unfortunately I wish I could tell you that it gets easier dealing with the insurance companies but it was not for us.

I haven't been able to watch the news at all this weekend so I'm not sure what's true and what isn't. Hopefully someone else here will be able to help.

Good for you deciding to keep your vacation plans in tact. We didn't after Katrina and I regretted it.

I know it's hard to believe but y'all will get through this my friend.:hug:

Yankeechick, what is the reason that they don't want to pay? It seems like you have every possible insurance. I have all those policies too. I didn't have any damage but the thought that I wouldn't be covered scares me to death.

Yankeechick, what is the reason that they don't want to pay? It seems like you have every possible insurance. I have all those policies too. I didn't have any damage but the thought that I wouldn't be covered scares me to death.

The flood insurance people will say it was wind damage (some will even go so far as to say it was wind-driven surge) that destroyed your home so they don't want to pay you. The homeowners insurance people will say it was flooding that destroyed your home so they don't want to pay. See the little game they play? And this could go on for months and months while they stall payment and argue who is responsible. Meanwhile, all you want to do is rebuild your home. You can see why so many homes in New Orleans still sit untouched and ungutted.....in the same condition they were in when the waters went down after Katrina. I have no faith at all in insurance companies anymore. But I keep up my policies....I guess I'm still going on blind faith. :confused3

My heart goes out to all those that have suffered through this Hurricane. I was one of the fortunate 3% that still had power after the storm and because of that I spent the last weekend including last Thursday and Friday volunteering at the Houston Food Bank to help out those that are recovering from Ike. FEMA in its great wisdom (yeah right!) has decided to close nearly all of their Points of Distribution (PODS) in the Houston area and sadly to poor folks that have had to either dish out cash to stay in a hotel or barely live from month to month on social security are finding that they do not qualify for assistance and when they get their power back they are still in need of food and water. I really do not want to rant hear on FEMA so I will leave it at that. If anyone feels that they would like to help in donations, the Houston Food Bank is taking donations in both money and food items. Google Houston Food Bank for the website to get the information on where you can make the donations. If you feel up to volunteering they are right now open 8am to 6pm every day till they feel that the need for a continuing 7 day a week operation is not necessary. Again check the web site for further details on volunteering too.

My heart goes out to all those that have suffered through this Hurricane. I was one of the fortunate 3% that still had power after the storm and because of that I spent the last weekend including last Thursday and Friday volunteering at the Houston Food Bank to help out those that are recovering from Ike. FEMA in its great wisdom (yeah right!) has decided to close nearly all of their Points of Distribution (PODS) in the Houston area and sadly to poor folks that have had to either dish out cash to stay in a hotel or barely live from month to month on social security are finding that they do not qualify for assistance and when they get their power back they are still in need of food and water. I really do not want to rant hear on FEMA so I will leave it at that. If anyone feels that they would like to help in donations, the Houston Food Bank is taking donations in both money and food items. Google Houston Food Bank for the website to get the information on where you can make the donations. If you feel up to volunteering they are right now open 8am to 6pm every day till they feel that the need for a continuing 7 day a week operation is not necessary. Again check the web site for further details on volunteering too.

FEMA makes me ill. I'll be googling Houston Food bank and donating tonight. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with all affected. :grouphug:

now my insurance company ups my coverage due to increased property values . then they want me to pay a deductible on the new coverage amount saying that is my property value . i haven't had anyone apraise my property lately, just because they think it's worth a certain amount doesn't make it so . then to make things better if you have wind damage from gustave and water damage from ike,then it's two seperate claims with two deductibles. why should i pay a deductible according to the new coverage amount instead of the actual apraised value of my house?:mad:

Unfortunately even though I am never going to support the insurance companies I have been pointed out several times that I have to read that fine print on the coverage that says that the deductable is per claim/incident, in the case of Gustav and Ike, and not per year like health insurance. Just be glad we have insurance. Florida has a hard time with insurance and if I am not mistaken so does most of Louisiana now.

How is everyone doing with your repairs?

Our insurance adjuster is finally coming out today. I'm hoping he give us a decent amount for our repairs. My friend had one adj come out who tried to give her a horrible settlement and they had a lot of damage.

Yankeechick how are things going with you?

Beware if you have Allstate. I heard from my contractor that they are denying the majority of roof claims and that you will have to refile. They screwed up my claim and didn't send the amount of money that they put on my claim - they shorted me by over $1,000. Also, when the adjuster was out (a car adjuster!) he told me that they would cover 600 square feet of my roof and on my claim they only put 300 square feet. When my roofer came out he said that my roof sustained much more damage than that and he has been wonderful, sending the adjuster a report complete with pictures showing the damages. They are sending out a second adjuster to look again.

I ended up getting a home loan from the SBA - I'm getting a new roof, insulation, sheet rock repair, new fence and new flooring. I will probably also have my house repainted and some exterior work done to fascia boards and vents that were damaged. Thank goodness for the SBA - at least they are helping. Fema denied everything. I'm just thankful that my house is liveable.

I'm thankful our house is liveable too and thank goodness since we are still waiting for the adjuster. I have State Farm. However one of my best friends has State Farm too and she lost her entire roof and had lots of damage to the walls inside. Her adj tried to give around $3800 which wouldn't even come close to what her repairs will be.

I never even filed anything with FEMA. I have only heard how they are screwing everyone over. I saw on the news that the percentage of claims approved by them was around 9%. 9%! :rolleyes:

This was a photo making the rounds in New Orleans after Katrina. Dark humor, but it might hit home with some of you who are battling FEMA now.
WaitingforFEMA.jpg

Hi all... glad to hear you all are getting back to normal too, but sorry to hear about the insurance problems. I'm still in limbo there. My insurance (the part that covers this sort of thing) is through Texas Windstorm, and I'm still waiting to hear what they're going to pay. The adjuster was very nice, and luckily I don't have any roof damage aside from two missing shingles, which he couldn't believe. Almost every other house in our neighborhood is sporting a lovely blue roof tarp. But my house is smaller, and I think was sheltered a lot.

But I still have a large horizontal tree in my backyard, no fence, and shredded window screens. It's really weird... looking around our neighborhood, you'd think that Ike hit last week. There are still huge piles of fence pieces and carpet and whatnot, the majority of fences are still down or completely gone, and all the roofs are still messed up. But it could be so much worse... those Galvestonians have such strong spirits! I know the city will come back stronger than ever.

I hope everyone gets their insurance woes cleared up quick!!

-gina-

hey all!! Still waiting for a check. The adjuster finally came out 10/31. I wasn't too frustrated because our damage was all outside-patio/pool. My backyard looks like heck and the birds are still upset about loosing 3 trees (me too!). We did have to get on our agent a bit. The adjuster wasn't going to make allowances for us taking down 2 trees. We had one uproot in the back but the tree dude had to take 2 more (not healthy) down to get to the fallen one. The crane just couldn't reach it unless the trees were gone or go over the roof-ummm no thanks didn't want to chance a 100 ft tree falling on the roof. Anyway we've been with State Farm since 1973 and never made a claim-not house or auto (the wrecks we've had were the other guy's fault). So he talked to the adjuster who upted the check a bit to cover replacing the patio and replastering the pool.
We were lucky and I'm grateful. It was an adventure-one I don't want to repeat but probably will cuz I'm not moving from paradise!!
Take care y'all

Our adj came 10/30. Said to give him a couple of weeks to give us the amount (he needed to check on a couple of things). He seemed nice enough now I guess we just wait to see if he was fair.

YankeeChick
So sorry about your loss. We dealt with Katrina. Didn't lose everything, but it was devastating.
Please contact me. I am on the Mac Stroller swap with you and need your info. PM didn't work.

Wow! Glad I found this thread. We've lived around the Gulf Coast forever. In 2004 when Hurricane Ivan hit my parents who lived over 100 miles inland had a large bull pine tree go thru 2 stories of their house. State Farm really did a job on them. Four years later and their "repaired" home is pretty much a big lump of mildew, mold, and falling down. Great job, State Farm. Way to go. :thumbsup2 In 2005 we lived in Covington, Louisiana and I worked in law enforcement. I worked thru Katrina while my family all evacuated. By the grace of God our home only had very minor damage. We had no power for almost a month. I went 3 weeks without seeing my children which was brutal. Lots of lessons learned. We knew so many people who had no flood insurance loose everything to rising water, breeched levees, etc. The entire thing is one of those big defining points in the timeline of life for me. Then this year we lived in Port Arthur, Texas for Ike. Yep. Our neighbors said that they are noticing a pattern with us and suggest we move far away from them. LOL! This time we weren't so lucky with the damage. Our home was brand new, just completed at the end of June. Ike blew a large section of our roof down to plywood and we had subsequent water damage down thru the walls on both stories of our house. Bummer. I still don't complain because with this storm & Katrina I know so many people who lost so much more. We had Farmers Insurance on this one. Because so many of the houses in the new neighborhood weren't yet sold the general contractor came thru with their subs the day after we returned home. We were #2 on the roofer's list. The claims guys kept telling us to just have the roof tarped so their adjustor could take pics. Our roof is so high. From what we knew with our experiences with previous storms we knew if we tarped up and waited it could be months before our roof was fixed. Instead of paying the $800 to tarp up the roof and then also pay for the repair down the road we did what was logical and had the stinkin' roof fixed. The roofers took our camera up on the roof and took dozens of great pics. When the adjustor did make it out a couple weeks later he thanked us because his ladder wouldn't even have reached. Farmers was okay to us. They refused to pay for the replacement of our carpet even tho it was totally soaked. They said they'd pay for new carpet pad but not carpet. They wanted us to get the carpet cleaned. My question is how do you replace the pad without taking up the carpet??? Duh! We fought them and got them to pay for part of the carpet. It took numerous calls from the husband and me and a whole lotta language I wouldn't want my mother hear me use. I think those fellas sittin' in those nice offices up there in Oklahoma need to come down here and get a dose of reality. One of them even asked my hubby why we didn't put a fan on the carpet upstairs if we had a generator??? Obviously he doesn't realize that there are priorities and keeping food cool is pretty important when in survival-mode. LOL! Anywhoo, we ended up doing a large amount of the work ourselves. We had to rip sheetrock, insulation, flooring, etc. out of the front side of the house on both stories. We did our own mold/mildew treating and insulation...paid subs for the sheetrock reinstallation/finishing...paid flooring people to come do the carpet upstairs...did our own base/crown mouldings...and did our own painting. The hardwood floor downstairs still needs to be ripped out and replaced because it's somewhat bubbled by the front entry. It's still in good shape other than the slight flaw. For now it's going to stay how it is. Farmers got us a check within about a month of the storm. I felt like they refused coverage on stuff that was clearly covered in the policy but they'll argue to the death over interpretation. Whatever. In life there are some things ya just gotta let life take care of. I told the key adjustor guy that karma is real and we all get what we give in life. I told him when he found himself in a predicament someday when he was on the receiving end of the royal screwin that he was so blatently and shamelessly putting on us that I hoped he remembered us and understood that he reaps what he sows. In all I'd say that in spite of our 3% deductible, after we paid all the expenses and added back in the insurance check we probably were out maybe $2K. Of course that doesn't include the cost of evacuating (twice) and supplies to survive without power, etc.

We ended up having to postpone our WDW trip the 2nd week of December to the end of January. That was tough but we needed some extra time to somewhat get ourselves together financially and get the house where it needed to be. We can't wait to get back to "da World". What a huge reward for all our efforts!

To y'all down there in Galveston or in other hard-hit areas, let me know if there's anything we can do to lend a hand. We've helped many a friend do demo work and rebuild over the years. We're not above coming in and doing what we can to help out. I like for my sons (11 & 12) to get involved and understand the bigger picture. Working with their hands really makes a difference with them, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter