Iger is back and Chapek is out...

The guys 71. How much longer is the guy going to work? I expect this to be a short term thing until they find someone else.

The more you raise the price of Genie plus, the more exclusive it gets and makes the parks “standby only” for almost everyone. With the crowd levels what they are today and what they will be in the future, being in a park standby only is a disaster. Believe me I’ve been there.

Fastpass was introduced in the late 90s for a reason. Guests #1 complaint was long lines. Once the fast pass was introduced people loved it and park attendance grew. The last thing I want to do is go back to the days when everyone has to stand in long lines all day.

What Disney needs more rides and capacity. This is why G+ works so well at Magic Kingdom for instance

Dan
We were there for 2 different trips when they had stopped FP+ and had not started Genie +. Everyone was standby only and the waits were manageable. the continually moved and never stopped because of the other line of people.

We were there for 2 different trips when they had stopped FP+ and had not started Genie +. Everyone was standby only and the waits were manageable. the continually moved and never stopped because of the other line of people.
The parks were actually being limited in capacity then. I went too and it was manageable. I went right after G+ started and saw the crowds beginning to grow, and three months later felt it more. By last summer it was clear there aren't really any caps on the parks other than to push guests to other parks. We just can't compare the crowds pre-Genie+ to what is there now.

Bingo, when it was 100% standby only the lines always kept moving. The only people using the FP+/Genie+ line were DAS Holders and VIP Tour Groups so the slowdown was pretty much non-existent.

The latest: Disney worked out the deal with Iger over just a couple of days and Chapek wasn't notified until a few minutes before the news was announced.

Does this sound like Chapek knew the board had approached Iger on Friday? Surely they had him sign his nondisclosures, etc prior to the announcement.

https://wdwnt.com/2022/11/disney-bo...-chapek-notified-moments-before-announcement/
Well first I'd have to find a credible source for this.

Even if they spoke to Iger on Friday, they wouldn't have to do anything with Chapek's knowledge until they have come to an agreement with Iger and then pulled in Chapek to give him the news.

The latest: Disney worked out the deal with Iger over just a couple of days and Chapek wasn't notified until a few minutes before the news was announced.
You know how when people on tv get fired they always get that cardboard box that looks like every other cardboard box people get? I wonder if at Disney there's a bespoke version with Mickey Mouse on it saying "Wont' See Ya Real Soon!" :smickey:

You know how when people on tv get fired they always get that cardboard box that looks like every other cardboard box people get? I wonder if at Disney there's a bespoke version with Mickey Mouse on it saying "Wont' See Ya Real Soon!" :smickey:
OUCH! Haha.

It sounds like he did not know. It sounds like the Board had reached crisis point, and am sure had their discussions with lawyers about process. Then reached out to Iger Friday because unless he signed on I don't think Chapek would have been gone so fast. Friday would be best to be putting this together outside working hours. Sounds like they inked the deal with Iger yesterday then pulled in Chapek to tell him.

Can anyone go back to 2019? Everything in life has changed. I said at the time that Covid gives them the excuse to change everything they always wanted to.
Disney doesn't want to go back to 2019 and likely kicking themselves they didn't make more changes during COVID. COVID gave SO many companies the opportunity of a lifetime to make major change.

I realize that some things that have been implemented over the last two years will probably be here to stay after Iger returns (looking at you Genie +), but I am hopeful that things that don't really cost money will come back like regular park hopping, annual passes etc. And hopefully some of the magical extras that cost some money like longer emh and entertainment options come back too. I honestly don't mind and expect incremental price increases, but I don't want to pay more and get less. I have faith that Iger has a sense of the magic and what has diminished the brand after his retirement.

Yes but I think Chapek proved your resume must be more diverse to lead a diverse product company.
CEO has to be a bean counter, difference is how do you do it. Chapek was a product/retail/distribution guy. AKA DisMart. He made money with reducing production costs and raising prices. Results in short term but long term can’t sustain. His bubble burst.
[emphasis mine]
I love this euphemism... DisMart. Haven't heard it before, and will ponder using it in my discussions about this going forward. Thank you for the great phrase; it captures a lot of my thoughts in just a word!

It sounds like he did not know. It sounds like the Board had reached crisis point, and am sure had their discussions with lawyers about process. Then reached out to Iger Friday because unless he signed on I don't think Chapek would have been gone so fast. Friday would be best to be putting this together outside working hours. Sounds like they inked the deal with Iger yesterday then pulled in Chapek to tell him.

Thank you. As abrupt and wild as I thought. I like what you said about creating false profits. 11/11 Chapek announced layoffs/hiring freezes. Architect of his own downfall.

[emphasis mine]
I love this euphemism... DisMart. Haven't heard it before, and will ponder using it in my discussions about this going forward. Thank you for the great phrase; it captures a lot of my thoughts in just a word!
I've called him Bob DisMart since he was Parks President. Speaking of that is one area Josh has improved.

When big box Bob took over the parks he made it a mission to treat merchandise as if it were a walmart. Every store you went in sold the same stuff. Every product was exactly the same in different "flavors". Ride specific merchandise dwindled. Resort merchandise became a unicorn. The high quality clothing because cheaper and cheaper. He worked on that mode of operation that unique and creative merchandise is not big box mentality.

We dropped our AP in 2019 to take the gang to DL in 2020 but COVID cancelled our trip. I couldn't get my AP back so we didn't go. In 2021 summer the whole fam went with regular tickets and had so much fun that didn't include stores. Boys and I got AP back last November and been 7 times. With AP we relax a bit more and do the whole wander the stores thing. Now I left in 2019 having spent the last few years under Chapek regime as Park's King and I returned to the stores 2 years in to Josh's regime. I've seen a really big overhaul of merchandise for the good. (not good for my pocket book) Ride specific merchandise has increased, stayed at resort and happy to find resort merchandise. Quality seems improved and now shops don't all sell the same exact stuff. I'll give props to Josh for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter