• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Iger is back and Chapek is out...

This was rumored awhile back but I didn't believe it! Wow. But 'stepped down' my butt...you know he got fired! BUT..Bob Iger isn't exactly great news. Iger was the one that green lit Genie+, he's the one that made the $70b bad Fox deal, he's the one that ruined Star Wars and brought all the politics into the company. Don't expect G+ to go away.

I don't expect G+ to go away, but transform maybe? Iger might have green-lit it but that doesn't mean he can't see the folly of it now that is has been out in the wild all this time.

I don't expect G+ to go away, but transform maybe? Iger might have green-lit it but that doesn't mean he can't see the folly of it now that is has been out in the wild all this time.
I truly don't think we will see much changes from the Parks. They met expectations this year. Streaming is a major issue along with their TV subsidiaries like ABC and ESPN. There will be major changes for those departments and then of course Iger will be training who ever the next CEO will be. Peter Rice makes a lot of sense like Hopperfan said, but we shall see.

Global Dream the proverbial straw?

Good to get Bob Iger back. Someone who has Disney written through him like a stick of rock.

Iger has a HUGE PR opportunity right now.

He doesn't have to roll back all of the things Chapek has done that increased profits at the cost of guest experience. If he just rolls back on one or two to make them slightly more guest-friendly, he'll get a ton of kudos and good will that could help the company long-term.

Iger has a HUGE PR opportunity right now.

He doesn't have to roll back all of the things Chapek has done that increased profits at the cost of guest experience. If he just rolls back on one or two to make them slightly more guest-friendly, he'll get a ton of kudos and good will that could help the company long-term.
My bet is on park hopping. Throwing a small bone to make people excited and get people thinking great changes are coming.

It's not like he's going to come in and give up the income stream he is getting now from Genie+.

One hopes he at least recognizes that G+/ILL is not “popular,” despite Chapek’s disingenuous attempt to spin it as such.

The utilization rate is high because it is a figurative gun held to the head of park guests, who pay under duress because the alternative is an absolutely miserable park experience where the bulk of your time is spent standing in lines.

If nothing else, Iger might give us a spoonful of sugar to help this medicine go down vs. Chapek, who rammed it up our you-know-what.

Last edited:
Yeah. I really don’t think there will be any major positive changes in the foreseeable future. Just business as usual.
Agree. His job will be to stabilize the company, try to get them off Wall Street's naughty list, help work towards future plans of growth instead of short term false narratives, hopefully replace some negative top level people (CFO), come up with long term plans for the Movie Studios and Disney+ AND maybe there will be some slight changes at the parks in areas that have been slipping (housekeeping, attraction operations, etc). I don't think guests will complain as much about costs if the product they are getting is cleaner, more efficient and feeling like it holds up it's value.

He has lots of bad PR to clean up in addition to the "settling" of the Reedy Creek issues. These are areas his personality will help. AND if he's only there for two years, whoever he is "training" needs to have either been decided or decided soon.

My bet is on park hopping. Throwing a small bone to make people excited and get people thinking great changes are coming.
What would they change about park hopping? If they drop the 2 pm then they might as well drop park reservations, they go hand in hand. Unfortunately both those are part of how Disney is keeping all those parks full.

Last edited:
Disney will never go back to a free skip the line service. Even if they hypothetically get rid of Genie+, they will replace it with another paid service.
G+ is a combination of what FP was in WDW and MaxPass in DL. I doubt it's going away. Tweaked, maybe. ILLs? Who knows.

The bone he throws should be park reservations and hopping at 2. Even if they don't get rid of the time in total, if they make it noon it's a huge improvement.

It's not like he's going to come in and give up the income stream he is getting now from Genie+. Or announce a bunch of big new projects for the parks. He was using the parks as an ATM for the rest of the company long before Chapek was in charge.

Right.

I'm happy he will give more care to the animated offerings (Less 45 day windows, I hope), but I don't imagine sweeping changes throughout the Parks. Hope I'm wrong.

Everyone that is screaming for the demise of G+/ILL is going to be sorely disappointed. Disney, with Fastpass +, was providing a free service that most other theme parks were charging for. It was only a matter of time until Disney started charging. They could change it a bit - but the free ship has sailed, never to return.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter