Iger: Expanded Star Wars Presence Coming to Parks

The most amusing part of this:

Iger essentially made a "pre-announcement".

"I am letting you know that sometime next year we'll be announcing new Star Wars attractions in the theme parks. Our next announcement will be an announcement on when we will schedule the official announcement."

(Of course, then before the ACTUAL announcement, it will all leak on the internet and we'll already know about it.)

They should take Stich escape and turn it into Darth Vader breaking out. I haven't thought beyond that, but I bet you could make an awesome story and better ride.

The most amusing part of this: Iger essentially made a "pre-announcement". "I am letting you know that sometime next year we'll be announcing new Star Wars attractions in the theme parks. Our next announcement will be an announcement on when we will schedule the official announcement." (Of course, then before the ACTUAL announcement, it will all leak on the internet and we'll already know about it.)
I know and this will probably be the last big thing he does before he retires. I also think the actual announcement won't come until later in the year because they want it to be close with the new movie.

Based on the time invested versus the actual product quality, Fantasy Land expansion is a pretty good example of how badly Disney can drop the ball on a project.
I don't think they dropped the ball it was originally supposed to be a big meet and greet area basically. Originally there was no mine train it was a sleeping beauty area and a tinker bell area.

I know and this will probably be the last big thing he does before he retires. I also think the actual announcement won't come until later in the year because they want it to be close with the new movie.

It occurs to me they will likely hold it for D23. They got a lot of grief last year for having no Disney Parks presence at D23. There will be a ton of Star Wars stuff there (I would expect the cast of the new movie, and probably the first full trailer to premiere there.)

I expect that just after the nhype over the new Harry Potter changes die out that Disney will bring Star Wars to Hollywood Studios.

Star Wars has many more fans going back to the original movie.

BTW Why do so many people come to Disboards to bash every change Disney makes? If you don't like Disney and the way they run their park why are you constantly following the message board about the park?

Although I didn't expect any details with this announcement everyone should take notice that the comments don't specify that Orlando is getting anything. Something may very well come to Florida (hopefully), but Iger stated 'the parks'. Let's hope it's not just Anaheim or Shanghai.

Let's also hope that if something comes to Orlando it doesn't take a decade to build.

Although I didn't expect any details with this announcement everyone should take notice that the comments don't specify that Orlando is getting anything. Something may very well come to Florida (hopefully), but Iger stated 'the parks'. Let's hope it's not just Anaheim or Shanghai.

Let's also hope that if something comes to Orlando it doesn't take a decade to build.

I'll say this, if its not a big presense at WDW, then Iger made a massive mistake.

WDW is due for something big, bigger than Avatar. They aren't going to open a 5th gate anytime soon, and they shouldn't, but if you think about it, between 1971 and 1998, Disney opened 4 parks in Orlando. Its been 16 years since the last park opened and some of the parks are starting to get stale. It's time for a make over, it's time for something big to happen.

If it's not Star Wars, then I have very little faith that Disney is ever going to do anything with WDW. Personally, I think Star Wars is coming to DHS, and I want to see a billion plus spent on it, and done correctly.

This is Disney's chance to wow people, lets hope they do it.

It occurs to me they will likely hold it for D23. They got a lot of grief last year for having no Disney Parks presence at D23. There will be a ton of Star Wars stuff there (I would expect the cast of the new movie, and probably the first full trailer to premiere there.)

I agree and at the last D23 they teased Star Wars and avatar, the only thing that was for sure at that point was avatar. There wasn't any announcements at D23 really just teasers of all things coming.

Well as of right now, there are no rumors for a big presence of star wars in Shanghai but, Anaheim and WDW do have lots of rumors floating around. Latest I have heard about Anaheim is once the 60th celebration is done or near the end tomorrow land is getting lots of star wars.

Although Im sure it will be I Florida ( DHS ) Im holding out hopes they will do SOMETHING In California! We only have the 2 parks which Disneyland in general NEEDS help. There's just NO room! And just about everything needs some major updating!

Although Im sure it will be I Florida ( DHS ) Im holding out hopes they will do SOMETHING In California! We only have the 2 parks which Disneyland in general NEEDS help. There's just NO room! And just about everything needs some major updating!
You're the first person I've seen here, to mention that Disneyland needs some major updating - adding some Star Wars stuff there could be the answer. :thumbsup2

You're the first person I've seen here, to mention that Disneyland needs some major updating - adding some Star Wars stuff there could be the answer. :thumbsup2

Yep after all the work on DCA recently I don't think the California resort needs as much help as DHS needs in FL. A few things need updates in CA such as a Captain EO replacement, replacement for Innoventions and general updates (such as was done to Alice). Also the only bit on DCA that still doesn't feel right is the Mad T party corner. I expect any expansion of DCA will be Marvel based, but Tommorowland could have another Star Wars attraction to compliment Star Tours.

Obviously DHS can't have a Marvel attraction so a Star Wars land exclusive to that park would be great (similar to Cars Land being exclusive to DCA).

As much as I'd like a 5th gate I just can't see it. Id be shocked if Star Wars wasn't a hollywood studios addition.

I absolutely agree. There is too much improvement needed at DHS to justify a 5th gate at this point. I am excited to see what plans they have for bringing Star Wars in, though. Expanding on the current theming surrounding Star Tours would make for a really cool land!

I think it's funny to bring up DLR, which has certainly had a lot more focus over the last 5 years than WDW with all the fixes in DCA. Our first two trips ever to DLR were 2012 and 2013, so it's hard to say from that point of view what really needs updating, but I thought the only part that REALLY needs help out there is Tomorrowland. Other than the awesome Space Mountain, the rest was in sad shape. OK, Star Tours and Astro Blasters were fine, but had no outdoors presence at all. The rest of the area looks run-down and is overcrowded with the stupid placement of Astro Orbitor and the dead peoplemover track in the middle of the walkway.

The rumor out of Anaheim is they are looking at an overhaul of Tomorrowland that would basically convert it to "Star Wars Land", which may be disappointing to fans of the Tomorrowland concept, but it is much needed.

I think that should Star Wars movies/merchandising be successful, you will see a big time push on both coasts for Star Wars. Talking at least 2 new rides per coast and new attractions/dining as well.

The rumor out of Anaheim is they are looking at an overhaul of Tomorrowland that would basically convert it to "Star Wars Land", which may be disappointing to fans of the Tomorrowland concept, but it is much needed.

ALongTimeAgoLand? ALongTimeAgoInAGalaxyFarFarAwayLand?

Other than the awesome Space Mountain, the rest was in sad shape. OK, Star Tours and Astro Blasters were fine, but had no outdoors presence at all. The rest of the area looks run-down and is overcrowded with the stupid placement of Astro Orbitor and the dead peoplemover track in the middle of the walkway.

That area is such a bottleneck for people it is not funny. Even if they moved Astro Orbiter, they still have the narrow area between Buzz and Star Tours. I think they keep the peoplmover track up for the shade :)

If they add it to dhs I would really like to see them expand outside the current park's borders. I know it won't happen, but I don't think closing existing attractions and shoehorning it into an existing part of the park will do it justice.

Posted from Disboards.com App for Android

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter