Iger admits to Disney's been ripping off guests

It's pretty disingenuous to refer to the Starcruiser as a "hotel." It gives a really false impression of what you're paying for.

A thought on Hulu...I think Disney should keep it, and purchase the remaining interest from Comcast. And once they get total control of the original programming and licensing, try to market thr theme park rights back to Universal/Comcast, Cedar Faire/Knott's or Six Flags. Shows like The Orville could fit into a competitors theme park, much like Guardians of the Galaxy, since it appears CBS has no interest in licensing any part of the Star Trek franchise for theme park development. Create a Fox Animation divsion to give Hulu some good Childrens programming, and license that as well. LIcense the Simpsons to other parks, too, since they really don't fit all that well with Classic Disney.Use the FOX IP to your advantage, but don't mix it into the Disney theme parks.

Last edited:
Reactions: GAN
Besides, why are you all concerned about Bob Iger when we're faced with more pressing issues:
best-of-weekly-world-news-als-fake-news-noch-offensichtlich-waren-100988.jpg
I want to read about the giant Gefilte Fish attacking ships!!!

For me, it's not the cost as much as it is the value. I was one of those people who liked nothing more than setting up my spreadsheet, making my plans, tinkering with my plans, and then executing a great plan in the park. I thrived on that. This is my first trip since Genie+ and the fun just isn't there anymore. It's nothing but stress. And the cost just raises the stakes. I see people about to go asking things like 'what is a MagicBand' and I just sit in my little corner laughing madly like Renfield bc omg if you don't know THAT... ohhhh child!

I just want Iger to give the fun back.

Last edited:

Let me say I have little faith in most publications. They all slant articles to their benefit or views. I'd love to see more headlines like the DM and watch Disney defend itself AGAINST them.

As grandparents of 12 with a significant amount of DVC points...glad to know Disney no longer wants my $$$$$. We haven't visited in a year and just cancelled an upcoming vacation. This is down from 2-3 yearly trips. I recently had a VM from Disney thanking me for blah, blah, blah...didn't listen to the entire spiel. The kiddos aren't enjoying the new "magical experiences" at WDW so much nowadays. We are spending our time and $$$$$ out of the U.S. I guess it's a win win for all involved.

Iger stated that some of the pricing strategies were too aggressive; but weren't at least some of these things, things that were set in motion during his original tenure? And does he really think we the consumer are seeing "reduced crowding?"

LOL

Am I crazy or are we getting some doublethink here?
Yesterday the chocolate rations were reduced to 20 grams per week and today they were raised to 20 grams per week.
We love Big Brother! :rotfl:

weren't at least some of these things, things that were set in motion during his original tenure?
Yes they were but I think what happened with Chapek is changes were made very rapidly in a short timeframe. Chapek was only around for about 2 years 9 months and there were a lot of changes, and increases, and upcharges, enacted in that short time frame.

From what I have come to understand is with Iger changes may have still occurred regardless but he was more attuned to the public's perception of things.

Yes they were but I think what happened with Chapek is changes were made very rapidly in a short timeframe. Chapek was only around for about 2 years 9 months and there were a lot of changes, and increases, and upcharges, enacted in that short time frame.

From what I have come to understand is with Iger changes may have still occurred regardless but he was more attuned to the public's perception of things.
All of that… with the addition of it being crazy to assume that Chapek just ”took over” on that specific day. A transition like that could take a year minimum …and during that time Iger would have provided “guidance” not lead the ship. Not many people truly understand what happened behind the scenes… Chapek had his own ideas… did Iger push back… maybe Iger wasn’t 100% on board, but the Directors were 🤷🏻? Ultimately… you’re leaving -there is only so much you can do!

Can we please just get rid of the 7am Genie/ILL nonsense at WDW? It's completely unnecessary and just kills the entire vacation vibe. It wouldn't even cost anything.

Disneyland doesn't let anyone make G+ reservations until they are IN the park. Do that, WDW. Please.

This! That puts me off even more than the price increases. I'm barely up by 7am in my non-vacation life. Why the heck do I have to get up that early on vacation?!

This! That puts me off even more than the price increases. I'm barely up by 7am in my non-vacation life. Why the heck do I have to get up that early on vacation?!
Yep. Part of the issue is the price increases, but I think a lot of us understand that prices will inevitably rise, especially for something that's in high demand. But the decrease in quality of experience is what gets me, and the above is a prime example of that IMHO.

Depending on your taste in news, UK sources vary. The Telegraph is very right wing (The ToryGraph), Daily Star and Sun are rather trashy. Daily Mail is often referred to as the Daily Fail. I like the Guardian, BBC and Sky News. Financial Times is very good, but soooo dry.
I used to read Gor Blimey Governor Times, but now I stick to Bob's Yer Uncle Quarterly. Top shelf, that lot. And worth reading even while wrapped around a nice piece of cod.

The "price cuts" are already there, but they are nowhere near where "fans" want them to be to restore the previous value-for-money status quo.

-The offer of the "dining card" looks great to someone who never took full advantage of the previous dining plan. Compared to that, it's not worth the plastic it's printed on.

-The elimination of parking charges at the resorts is a good marketing point for AP holders (who didn't need the resort stay to get free parking at the parks) but let's not overlook the secondary reason that resort parking charges were instituted in the first place: to encourage use of Magic Express so that you wouldn't leave the Disney bubble during your stay. With ME gone, the bubble has returned to it's previously porous state, so returning to free resort parking is an easy bone to throw. ( And while we're on the issue of parking, when in the name of Florida Sunshine will full tram service be restored?)
Charging for parking at the resorts is a relatively recent thing. Magic Express had been operating for years before that event. If that did anything it pushed more people out of the resorts and led them to offsite hotels. Most of which, at the time, and probably still did not charge for parking. It was nothing more that an unadulterated money grab for those that were living close enough to use a car instead of the hassle of flying. It was more of a slap in the face for those willing to pay massive prices to stay in a 3 star hotel with a picture of a mouse in your room. It did nothing to discourage people from using the Disney Prison Bus, it did the opposite. As soon as they announced that I said that the bus was on it's way out., With the parking charge they not only eliminated the cost of transporting but increased revenue by charging for land paid for decades ago. Nothing but a win-win for Disney.

Charging for parking at the resorts is a relatively recent thing. Magic Express had been operating for years before that event. If that did anything it pushed more people out of the resorts and led them to offsite hotels. Most of which, at the time, and probably still did not charge for parking. It was nothing more that an unadulterated money grab for those that were living close enough to use a car instead of the hassle of flying. It was more of a slap in the face for those willing to pay massive prices to stay in a 3 star hotel with a picture of a mouse in your room. It did nothing to discourage people from using the Disney Prison Bus, it did the opposite. As soon as they announced that I said that the bus was on it's way out., With the parking charge they not only eliminated the cost of transporting but increased revenue by charging for land paid for decades ago. Nothing but a win-win for Disney.
Was it really targeted just towards those who are close enough to use a car? I mean plenty of people got rental cars before they even have the rental car facility on site. Plenty of people flew and got a rental car. We always have a rental car on vacation (excluding a few select places). When we went in 2017 we had a rental car for all the what 9+ days we were there staying on property.

It was just a way for them to get revenue stream and use the now extinct reasoning of "industry standard" (they used that a lot in press releases when it was announced in 2018). It made sense for the few Deluxe resorts (mostly Epcot and MK area) where parking was more limited and more sought after to park there but applying it to Values for example which neither had a parking issue nor close enough to really make it worth it (parking fees were added before Skyliner opened) was not even in line with industry standard for most large enough places.

I agree about moving to off-site but think it was more a culmination of many things.

Reactions: GAN
It was just a way for them to get revenue stream and use the now extinct reasoning of "industry standard" (they used that a lot in press releases when it was announced in 2018).
I never bought into their "industry standard" line/excuse. What other resort complex has 30-some hotels, 44,000 acres, and four theme parks?

We're the odd ones in that the timing of Genie+/ILL isn't a huge deterrent. I was up at 5-6:30am every morning of our May 2022 trip even earlier for 1 morning where we had a wedding at AK at 6am. That said for us it was more that you would feel like you had to purchase this product. We felt the same with MP at DLR.

I never bought into their "industry standard" line/excuse. What other resort complex has 30-some hotels, 44,000 acres, and four theme parks?
Yeah never bought it either. I remember how dumb I thought it was and spoke about it on the Boards. It was also highly incongruent with their marketing same as how Genie+/ILL is. For years they talked about how they were different than others, for years they talked about how their park admission included FP and 3 of them. I'm not even attempting to bring up the whole "but FP didn't work thing" just speaking towards their marketing.

For a long time they wanted to push how they were the different ones and then a switch was like flipped where now they are telling us all the reasons why other places are doing things (like park reservations, paid system, back in the past with the parking fees, etc) and they are just aligning with them. Def. removes more and more of that shine, if you're just like other theme parks why spend my time and money there ya know?

IMO Iger stated what we all feel - ie the prices are too high - but I don't believe they will take ticket prices down. It wouldn't make business sense. If people are still going and paying, there is no incentive for a corporation to reduce. They may offer incentives or some sort of "bonus" to make you "feel better."

Maybe I'm just a negative Nelly.

IMO Iger stated what we all feel - ie the prices are too high - but I don't believe they will take ticket prices down. It wouldn't make business sense. If people are still going and paying, there is no incentive for a corporation to reduce. They may offer incentives or some sort of "bonus" to make you "feel better."

Maybe I'm just a negative Nelly.
I have an unpopular opinion on this. I don't mind higher prices because in theory it keeps the parks from being overcrowded. I still remember being a kid and having the parks to ourselves at night back in the 80s and 90s. I realize those days aren't coming back, but one can dream, right?

I have an unpopular opinion on this. I don't mind higher prices because in theory it keeps the parks from being overcrowded. I still remember being a kid and having the parks to ourselves at night back in the 80s and 90s. I realize those days aren't coming back, but one can dream, right?
It would be nice, but the parks are packed. It seems no matter the price, the parks are never "empty" unless it's late at night or raining. 😢

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter