If you've been to POR & WL please come in!

mcgill93

Mouseketeer
Hello!

We are planning a trip to Disney this December. It will be my DH,and I and our daughter, who will 19 months old. We have been every year for the past three years, and stayed at POR the last two times (off-site before that). I am trying to justify the extra money to stay at WL. Here are my justifications: (I am really good at that :lmao: )

1. No need to take a bus to get to Epcot, DHS or Magic Kingdom.
2. The Christmas decorations at WL which I hear are amazing.

Can you share your opinions on whether WL would be a better choice than POR and why? We love POR, but the busses were tough the last time with the stroller etc. I would love to hear about why you like one resort better than the other and really appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks so much!

We love Wilderness Lodge mainly due to the closeness of MK. Although we have found that the bus to MK is so super quick(~3min) that we don't take the boat too MK much(it usually stops at fort wilderness before MK), but do take the boat home. With a young child, I would really look into staying in a wing room at the Contemporary and using the monorail. It is about the same price as a WL, but has the benefit of the monorail. WL does keep their pool very warm and the Christmas decorations are very nice, the reason we stay there is the pool slide(my girls are 6 and 8) and the closeness to MK... oh and the fact I couldnt' get a contemporary wing room for the dates we wanted.

We just got back from WL yesterday and loved it!!! It is a beautiful peaceful resort. The balcony just outside the room was worth it alone. Every morning we'd wake up and there would be 2 bunnies below eating. We'd usually see them again in the late afternoon after our daily siesta before heading back to a park.

DS & DH loved the pool as well. I never got around to using it because I napped a lot to keep my energy level up.

I would definitely stay there over Christmas. We're planning on going the 1st week of Dec and will stay at the Poly. We had breakfast there at O'Hana and loved it. We're also at the point where we really want to try a bunch of resorts and since we spend most of our time between the MK and Epcot a monorail resort is so much easier to stay at. We're also planning on taking my mom with us since she's never been.

We have stayed at both resorts around Xmas and prefer the WL because of the amazing decor and holiday feeling. We love POR but it was a bit blah for Xmas

In my opinion, WL is waaaaay better than POR! In fact, WL is one of my top resorts (tied with POLY). We have stayed there twice and loved it both times. The bus service is great and the boat service to MK is super fast and easy. I like that it has a main lobby to sit in front of the fireplace and just chill. The pools and hot tubs are absolutely breathtaking and so relaxing.

As for POR, we stayed there once and did not like it. The bus service was horrible and the rest of it was just okay. In fact, we like Pop Century much more than POR.

So to summarize, stay at WL! You will not regret spending extra. (Or stay at Pop Century and save money).

We've never stayed at POR, but we love WL......that's our second favorite resort next to the Poly :goodvibes. The entire resort is beautiful, not to mention the awesome decorations at Christmas :thumbsup2. We think the WL beats out all the resorts at Christmas time ;). We are booked for our third stay in December :santa:

I like WL MUCH better that POR-it is always so hard for me to justify the extra $$ that it costs to stay at WL....

Those are our 2 fav resorts! We haved stayed at each. For Christmas, I would choose WL! Also, I love the closeness of the MK. We are headed to POR in Sept again, and we just love that one too! No transportation problems any time we've stayed there, just hassle of figthing a double stroller on the busses. We will rent a single this time, because of price increase.

You're still going to have to take a bus because WL is not on the monorail line. Bus service during certain times in Decmeber (the week between Christmas and New Years) can be iffy, with larger crowds busses tend to fill up faster and you may find yourself waiting longer. At other times, the bus service is excellent. However, I'd much rather be at WL than POR during Decmeber. The decorations are beautiful as mentioned but the big advantage for my family was that the entire hotel is in one building. There's nothing worse than one of Florida's cold rainy December days when you have to run from one building to another just to get food or get to your room. The CR Tower provides the same benefit but the Garden Wings you still have to go outside. With a little one, that would be my main concern. I'd try for a Tower Room if you really want to be on the Monorail and avoid the busses or stay at WL.

I think Wilderness Lodge is beautiful at Christmas. The lobby is stunning. We stayed there last year in early December. But on the other hand, I love POR. POR riversides food court is so much better. We enjoy the fishing and boat ride to DTD. My husband was not crazy about Roaring Forks at WL. We also weren't to crazy about their rooms. That is just our opinion. WL does have its fans. It might be fun to do something different since you have already stayed at POR. I would not stay at WL without a discount. I do think there are specials out there during that time of year. You just have to weigh your options. Do you like being able to park right outside your building? Does a lobby matter to you? Does the food court matter? Do you want something different? Have you ever thought about AKL. We like the rooms here alot better. The resorts are similar.

We just returned from WL and loved it. But, you mentioned not having to take a bus to Epcot or DHS. You do need to take a bus to DHS (or drive your car). To get to Epcot without a bus you would need to take the boat to the Contemporary (or MK) then get on the monorail and then transfer monorails at the TTC to get to Epcot. IMO the bus is easier. have a great trip wherever you stay!

We stayed at WL last Christmas, and the decor is amazing. It really, truly puts you in the Christmas spirit.

However, we probably wouldn't stay there again. I prefered the CR for their ease of transportation (important when you are travelling with a 1 yo!). For the price, the room (I thought) was awfully small and not as nice as the other Deluxe's.

You do have to take either the bus to Epcot, or drive, or take the boat to MK, to take the Monorail to the TTC, and transfer Monorails to get to Epcot. You'd have to drive or bus it to DHS.

We have stayed at both and between the two, I prefer WL. That being said, the price is a deciding factor in that we are planning on staying at POP the next time we visit (since we need two rooms this time). WL is an amazing place and very pretty. We felt special when we were there. POR didn't trip any triggers with us. It all boils down to what you would like to spend and what kind of resort you enjoy.

I agree with Lori. If money were not a factor, WL would be my recommendation. POR is very nice and my family have spent many wonderful vacations there. WL is a superior resort, with excellent ameneties and location.

:goodvibes :goodvibes

Funny. This December we are planning on going down and spending three days at POR and three days at WL. Cheaper that way and we get to experience both. Never stayed at either but have visited both to take pictures and see the Christmas decorations. WL is stunning at Christmas time.

We just booked WL CL for our Christmas trip and although it is a splurge, it is going to be amazing. DH and I stayed there last August for his birthday and it just feels like home. Everytime we left the resort and came back, someone was always there to Welcome us home each time we returned. Our Bell services man knew our name and always spoke to us and called us by name and that was really special. We have just not had the same experience any where else, even though we do enjoy staying at other resorts

WL is just gorgeous at Christmas. As soon as you walk into the lobby, your jaw will hit the floor, the decorations are extraordinary.

We haven't stayed at POR, but did visit in December and it just doesn't have that awesome feeling that WL has.

Suzanne

We've stayed at both resorts and love each one for different reasons. If money is not a factor, you should do WL since you've already been to POR. We love POR for the theming and the value of the resort, we never ever feel deprived or short change when staying here. That being said, when we do have the extra money we will stay at a deluxe, either WL or the POLY, and since you're considering WL, here is why we love it. Of course without a doubt the theming is beeeeeeautiful, our last stay we had a 5th. flr. room that overlooked the stream, the pool, the geyser and the lake, just an amazing view. The boat ride to MK is so relaxing and we never waited any longer for a boat than we have a monorail at the POLY. If you're going at Christmas, WL would probably be the move because of the decor. Good luck with your decision, either way you won't be disappointed, you'll be at Disney.

We stayed at WL this past Jan. and just LOVED it!!!! It is a gorgeous resort and felt so cozy and inviting! We loved the property, especially the pool, hot tubs, and geyser. The boat to the MK was very relaxing. The rooms were very nice and we enjoyed the balcony. This is our favorite deluxe that we have stayed in so far. I will definitely be going back in the future!

We have stayed at POR, and I would say for us, it was absolutely worth the extra $$$ to stay at WL compared to POR.

We've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge once in 2004. It is an incredible resort, and with your trip planned in December, I can't see one single reason to stay anywhere else. Seriously. The Christmas decorations are amazing, and in and of itself, that is worth the extra cost in my opinion. I highly recommend you book your stay there! :)

I would pick the WL - especially at Christmas. You can sit in the lobby on comfy rocking chairs in front of the fire place. I love the decorations at Christmas. We spend out honeymoon there in Jan '08. The CM's were great. It was nice being able to take the boat over to the MK. WL is one of my favorite resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter