• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you've been diverted due to storms...

kasidak

Mouseketeer
I am just thinking ahead here.

We are on a 9/5 Western Caribbean cruise. If the Magic gets diverted where are some possible or usual ports they go to instead? Has anyone been diverted on a Western before and can speak from experience?

Of course, I know each storm is different and it totally depends on the storm track, but I would like to think ahead to some possibilities.

I am thinking about shore excursions and how to better enjoy the ports etc...

Thanks!

I am just thinking ahead here.

We are on a 9/5 Western Caribbean cruise. If the Magic gets diverted where are some possible or usual ports they go to instead? Has anyone been diverted on a Western before and can speak from experience?

Of course, I know each storm is different and it totally depends on the storm track, but I would like to think ahead to some possibilities.

I am thinking about shore excursions and how to better enjoy the ports etc...

Thanks!

If they know before you leave and its in the Western Caribbean you will swap to an Eastern otherwise, they will try to outrun it, they normally only call at DCL ports where they have contracts, with Nassau a popular alternative.

Our first cruise (October 2005) was a planned Eastern during Hurricane Wilma. The next cruise was supposed to be a Western, but was changed to an Eastern.

Last October, we were on an Eastern and the port of St. Thomas was closed due to the weather and we were diverted to Nassau. Not what we wanted, but the captain did his job of keeping safe and the crew did their job of keeping us informed of the weather updates and changes in itinerary. We never did experience any bad weather due to Hurricane Omar.

My friend was on an Eastern that got diverted and they then did the Western itinerary, I know you were looking for the opposite, but I think they just switch itineraries if it is clear sailing for the other. We were on the Western the week after and we still did all the ports we were supposed to, nothing on ours got changed.

You could have a sea day, go to Costa Maya, Nassau or change the itinerary completely.

You could have a sea day, go to Costa Maya, Nassau or change the itinerary completely.

If they are on a 'western' and there is a storm in the Caymen or Cozumel area, they would be unlikely to dock at Costa Maya instead.

If an Eastern diverted its possible.

We've been on two cruises that have had storm interruptions.

In '04, Hurricane Jeanne cut our cruise short by a few hours. We left CC as planned and arrived back at PC by 10 pm Friday night. Most passengers were put up at the Swan and Dolphin for the evening and treated to a continental breakfast the next day. Our flight out of MCO was one of the last ones out before the airport was shut down completely to prepare for Jeanne's arrival.

The following year in '05 we were supposed to be on an Eastern, but a hurricane (can't remember which one) was making tracks toward those islands and we were switched to a modified Western: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya and CC.

Not DCL, But on Hal we were unable to make it to their private island. They gave us $25 obc pp. and we went back to Grand Cayman for a second time.

We've been on two cruises that have had storm interruptions.

In '04, Hurricane Jeanne cut our cruise short by a few hours. We left CC as planned and arrived back at PC by 10 pm Friday night. Most passengers were put up at the Swan and Dolphin for the evening and treated to a continental breakfast the next day. Our flight out of MCO was one of the last ones out before the airport was shut down completely to prepare for Jeanne's arrival.

The following year in '05 we were supposed to be on an Eastern, but a hurricane (can't remember which one) was making tracks toward those islands and we were switched to a modified Western: Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya and CC.

We were on the Jeanne cruise too.

Disney did treat us very well.

We were on an excurision and got about 10 minutes of rain, gave us a 50% refund. We didn't ask for it, it was a letter left in a stateroom. Surprise!

Jeanne was a treat! After the skies cleared DCL threw a deck party with free drinks.

We also received 50% off our next cruise, again we did not ask for this is was a surprise. Oh yeah, DCL gave us $250 additional OBC, again, surprise.

Yes, we hit rough seas in Antigua, but DCL made up for it with pixie dust.

In September 2004, Hurricane Frances caused damage to Port Canaveral, and we had to board the Magic in Port Lauderdale.

On the WB PC in August 2005, Hurricane Hilary made the Magic miss Cabo San Lucas, so we went to Manzanillo.

On an October 2008 Double Dip, rough seas prevented the Magic from tendering at Grand Cayman, so instead we went to Key West the next day.

Woody

:wave: I just had to pop in and say hello. Our family is booked on your same 9/5 cruise, and we are from Union County, NC!

Add one more NC family to that cruise. We can't wait. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing,

We were on the Jeanne cruise too.

Disney did treat us very well.

We were on an excurision and got about 10 minutes of rain, gave us a 50% refund. We didn't ask for it, it was a letter left in a stateroom. Surprise!

Jeanne was a treat! After the skies cleared DCL threw a deck party with free drinks.

We also received 50% off our next cruise, again we did not ask for this is was a surprise. Oh yeah, DCL gave us $250 additional OBC, again, surprise.

Yes, we hit rough seas in Antigua, but DCL made up for it with pixie dust.

They definitely did treat us very well. The 50% off was a really nice surprise.

If they are on a 'western' and there is a storm in the Caymen or Cozumel area, they would be unlikely to dock at Costa Maya instead.

If an Eastern diverted its possible.

DCL switched the line up to include Costa Maya back in 2005 when a hurricane had caused destruction to either GC or Cozumel...I can't remeber which. DCL wasn't supposed to go to CM until the double dip cruises in 2006 but started early due to the storm damage. A hurricane doesn't just affect cruises while they are active but can result in months of altered routes on cruises and since the OP asked where DCL has gone in the past for alternate ports due to hurricanes, I included it.

Has anyone been diverted from an Eastern cruise due to weather? Can someone please explain how you go about excursion changes and what happens with those? TIA!! I'm a planner and we've picked out and reserved everything for our October cruise and it is right during hurricane season. I'd like to know what happens just in case!! :scared:

The first Western cruise we were on was diverted. I don't remember which storm it was, but we ended up going to San Juan and Nassau. We don't really care where we end up. As long as the ship can leave port, we know we'll have a great time!!:goodvibes

We cruised September 2004, originally scheduled for the western. When we got to the port we found a new itinerary of Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and either Nassau or Castaway Cay. Hurricane Frances was just going through the Bahamas and Castaway Cay and they didn't know if it would be cleaned up in time for us to go there. While we were at Puerto Rico, Hurricane Jeanne was forming over St. Thomas and we did not go there. Instead we went to Nassau and then Castaway Cay.:banana:

Let me say this, the seas were calm, the crew fantastic and we were safe and kept well informed. We were happy to be on the ship where ever it goes!:thumbsup2

We were on the Western abt 5 yrs ago and we couldn't get into (actually could get in - not out!!) of Key West on the first day, Cozumel was cold and rainy the second, couldn't stop at GC because waves too high - went to Costa Maya instead - I loved it - some didn't, then finally was CC and the weather cooperated and was beautiful. I remember the Captain saying we were headed south 'as far as it took to get to nice weather.'!! Later said he had talked to a Captain on a Princess ship and he advised the Costa Maya stop.. I see that DCL now has it on some cruises! Other than everyone being sick DCL did everything humanly possible to give us a great cruise. We had saved for 6 years to take our entire family on this cruise - and the weather was not to be. Disney doesn't control the weather though, so despite the sickness etc. it was still nice to be together.

We were on after Frances/during Ivan. It wound up being San Juan, Nassau, and Castaway Cay (which had just reopened--I think we were the first ship back).

We had a great time, and didn't mind the change much. Every stage show started with the captain coming up on stage, showing us the hurricane forecasts with his little laser pointer, and then telling us there would be free drinks in the lobby that night. It was kind of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter