• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you're debating on the letter of consent....

Applemomma

DIS Veteran
Do it!! Took the girls to Disney last week without hubby and it was the first thing the customs agent asked for! Good thing I had it. Would have hated to see the delay/upset that would have caused in our trip if I'd decided it wasn't necessary!

We took our cousin's two teens to Florida with us 3 weeks ago and had the consent forms and medical consent form with us but were never asked for anything. When we came back on Tues. I thought the Canadian customs agent in Toronto was going to ask for it but all he asked was how did we know each other. :confused3

We always have one for my step-son. They've only asked for it once in three times, but we'll never fly without one. My brother almost got arrested in the Toronto airport coming back from Orlando because he never had one for his daughter. They thought maybe he kidnapped her! And she was old enough to answer all of their questions! (she was 8!). Lesson learned from him....We won't even risk it. We have a general letter written (both my husband and his ex-wife) that we took directly from a Canadian Customs website and we both use it for my step son. We both work with someone who can notarize it, and we have never had a problem, nor do we ever want to!

:goodvibes Thank you for reminding us that this is a good idea :goodvibes
I was on the fence about this very thing because my son is 14, but an earlier thread I wrote last month asking for opinions about this convinced me to get the letter for our upcoming February trip.

I went to our town office with my husband and a Commissioner of Oaths signed/witnessed the travel letter for us for free. I am feeling more confident knowing i have this piece of paper....perhaps I won't need it, but if I do, thankfully I have something!

Better safe than sorry, I'd hate to be delayed for any reason on my way to our happy place! :lovestruc

Agreed! Took DS to Star Wars weekends in May without DH or DD. Even after handing over our passports and the consent letter, the agent asked my son where we were going. He said Disney for Star Wars Weekend. The agent asked "Why isn't Dad going if it's for Star Wars? Does he know you're going without him?" :scared1: Then after he and my son had a nice long chat about George Lucas and Star Wars, we were on our way. :goodvibes

What border was this? Seriously, I have taken my kids accross at Sarnia & Niagara (all bridges), many times, and never been asked.

What border was this? Seriously, I have taken my kids accross at Sarnia & Niagara (all bridges), many times, and never been asked.

I think it would be more for flying. We never had a problem with my stepson driving across, but flying is a whole different bag.

For me it was the pre-clearance border flying out of Halifax. I've always heard that most child abductions are done by the non-custodial parent so I can't blame them for being on the alert!

Also, if your spouse is diseased, it's a good idea to bring along a death certificate. I haven't been asked, but always carry one. The customs official always asks where Mommy is, but after the kids say that she's in Heaven they drop the subject.

Better to be prepared though, just in case.

Also, if your spouse is diseased, it's a good idea to bring along a death certificate. I haven't been asked, but always carry one. The customs official always asks where Mommy is, but after the kids say that she's in Heaven they drop the subject.

Better to be prepared though, just in case.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

A spelling note: I just stared at this for 30 seconds wondering how you can get a death certificate when your spouse is "diseased" but still alive. Then the lightbulb went on. You meant "deceased"!

I carry a consent letter, passports, AND my DD's birth certificate when we travel without DH, because my surname is different from hers and so the birth certificate listing me as parent takes care of any awkward questions about "Are you the mother? You don't have the same name." I probably don't need it, but I'm paranoid.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

A spelling note: I just stared at this for 30 seconds wondering how you can get a death certificate when your spouse is "diseased" but still alive. Then the lightbulb went on. You meant "deceased"!

I carry a consent letter, passports, AND my DD's birth certificate when we travel without DH, because my surname is different from hers and so the birth certificate listing me as parent takes care of any awkward questions about "Are you the mother? You don't have the same name." I probably don't need it, but I'm paranoid.

It was too late at night to spell correctly.

What are your experiences when travelling with a child who is not related?

My DD is bring along her BFF (both girls are 17). Is a consent letter " recommended" or "required" ?

I'm an obsessive planner - so I don't want any issues.

I would do it .... just to be safe. The Risk is too great to be held up at the Border!

I would do it .... just to be safe. The Risk is too great to be held up at the Border!

Agreed! If we do bring our DD's friend with us, we will be getting a letter from her parents. There is no way I want to take a chance on being stopped at the border or at the airport.

Going back again in October, 2012 :yay: my youngest son will be 16 this time, I did have this consent letter when he was 14 for our trip....this time I will be flying with Him and his older brother (19)

I'm not concerned about my oldest son, as he's considered an adult now....but will a consent letter still be necessary now that my son is an older teen at 16?

What are your experiences when travelling with a child who is not related?

My DD is bring along her BFF (both girls are 17). Is a consent letter " recommended" or "required" ?

I'm an obsessive planner - so I don't want any issues.

Bring one because last March my daughter brought her 16yr old friend and oddly enough we did not get asked by US Customs but were asked by CAN Customs on the way back into Canada at the Peace Bridge.

Going back again in October, 2012 :yay: my youngest son will be 16 this time, I did have this consent letter when he was 14 for our trip....this time I will be flying with Him and his older brother (19)

I'm not concerned about my oldest son, as he's considered an adult now....but will a consent letter still be necessary now that my son is an older teen at 16?

It may not be necessary but I would get one just in case. Once they asked for the letter and my son was 14 years old and six feet tall (I'm only 5"5").

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter