If your toddler/kid has a habit of getting up at night...

My 3 yr old also opened the door on the Fantasy. He did it with ease so I'm not sure I understand the shock.

Anyway- I thought the same thing. Very frustrating that it automatically unbolted itself.

I had to start locking the bathroom doors myself from inside the room (the little knob turns and locks/unlocks the door) because they were obsessed with opening and closing the doors. They ran out on us once or twice too but never at night. I'd of also been terrified as we were right by the elevators and that likely would have been his first place to go.

We used the alarms on ncl when out twins were 3. They were $30 at RadioShack. We used the 3m strips. They do WORK!! We definitely slept better at night.

Great thanks!! Ours will be 6 and 3. They are pretty good listeners, but I think I will sleep easier at night with some extra "security" ;)

Don't they have a higher lock on verandah doors? like an extra latch?

I'm glad to hear that there is an extra lock on the verandah doors. That has me super nervous. With 5 of us in the room, we really didn't have a choice. The only other time we've cruised with the kids we had a room with windows rather than the verandah. My kids do get up in the night sometimes and get in bed with us. I will be right there though and my mom is also a very light sleeper so I'm not super worried about them leaving the room at night.

I am dissapointed that there is no way to keep it latched from the inside though. My 3 year old tends be a runner and we always have to use the latch in hotels to keep him in the room. This might be a very long cruise. Sigh. What kind of handles do the doors have? I'm wondering if I can find a child lock. At home he still hasn't figured out the child safety door knob things so that's how we do it at home.

There is an extra latch on the door. It's not a chain, but the bar that you swing across with the little latch that catches in a groove. It performs the same function as a chain, but isn't one. That would have prevented the kiddos from getting out.

As for the deadbolt, 5 will get you 10 that it's a fire code/emergency procedure rule. They use them to keep people on the outside from getting in, but not people on the inside from getting out!

Here's what they look like:
door-latch.jpg

There is an extra latch on the door. It's not a chain, but the bar that you swing across with the little latch that catches in a groove. It performs the same function as a chain, but isn't one. That would have prevented the kiddos from getting out.

As for the deadbolt, 5 will get you 10 that it's a fire code/emergency procedure rule. They use them to keep people on the outside from getting in, but not people on the inside from getting out!

Here's what they look like:
door-latch.jpg

I watched my daughter get on a chair, swing the lock over, and then open the door. We had only been in the hotel room 5 minutes!! And she wasn't even 2 yet!! We didn't sleep well that trip, even after we tried to barricade the door. DH and I have decided to wait a few years to take the family on a cruise. I don't think I would have a moment's rest with my little animal on a ship!:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter