If your employer contributes to your health insurance, how much do they contribute?

snoopy5386

DIS Veteran
So it is open enrollment time here again and I saw the form for our insurance. DH's employer contributes a whopping $550 a year to our insurance premiums, our contribution is somewhere in the neighborhood of $6000 a year. At our last employer our insurance was 100% paid so it has taken some getting used to. And the coverage is crappier too. With our old insurance it cost me $30 to have DD, that was it. Our next kid will cost us around $3000 after the insurance has paid their share. It seems we went from one extreme to the other. What is your situation like?

I don't think my DH's employer pays anything toward health insurance. They just bundle the group coverage so we get cheaper rates I guess. They do pay about $8 a month for life insurance (the first $10,000 of coverage).

Dh's company pays about $450 per MONTH, and we get the option of paying $75/mo ($2500 deductible) or $275/mo ($900 deductible) for family coverage. Funnily enough, it's cheaper to pay out the $2500 over the first few months of the year than to take the more expensive plan - and most families take the more expensive one! We just put the extra $200/mo in a HSA and use it to pay our bills as they come in.

Either dh or I have worked for this company for the last 20 yrs, and the most we have ever paid, per month, is $400. Looking back on it now, I should have done the math better and taken a cheaper plan that year.

I have a total of roughly $600/month through payroll deductions for family coverage for medical and dental, which is approximately 1/3 of the total premium; my employer covers the rest. Over the last nine years, deductibles and co-pays have steadily risen, while the amount I pay for coverage has also increased significantly. Last year I had over $12,000 in out of pocket medical expenses to pay (my son broke his arm and needed surgery, and I was in treatment for cancer), so obviously coverage helps cover a lot of the charges, but is not all inclusive.

The days of paying $30 for the birth of a baby are long over, and companies that pay 100% of health insurance are very few and far between.

My employer pays 100% of mine, family would be taken out of my paycheck. DH's does not offer insurance. So, DH and the girls are on one we got ourselves. It is $280/month, $3400 family deductible but once we reach $3400 they pay 100%. We hardly ever have medical expenses and I figure if we do, $3400 won't break us. In a year we can reapply for a lower rate since it will be 2 years past DD's ear tubes. It could have been $218 if it weren't for her.

You have to watch those deductibles. Sometimes lower premium + higher deductible is still cheaper than higher premium + lower deductible!

My company pays 80 % of my medical.
So it is not so bad. For a family plan I pay about 40 dollars a week.

I'm very lucky that my employer pays 100% of medical and life insurance.

I'm very fortunate that my employer pays 100% of health insurance as well as 100% of disability insurance.

I have $342/month deducted from my pay for health insurance & dental coverage for my family of four (no vision insurance available). My employer pays the other $1,000/month.

We pay out of pocket an average of $150 - $200 per month on co-pays for dr visits and meds - mostly for dh. Could be more but a couple of meds would help but are optional and we simply cannot afford to pay for them.

Dd requires glasses so that is an out-of-pocket expense for us.

This has been fairly typical for health insurance premiums for us with different companies we've worked for. Only one ever paid 100% of premiums and that was many years ago.

Even with "good" insurance our cost for my last pregnancy & delivery was just over $10,000 after deductables & co-pays.

Dh is uninsurable if not under a group plan so we have no real choice. I'm just grateful to have insurance.

I have a total of roughly $600/month through payroll deductions for family coverage for medical and dental, which is approximately 1/3 of the total premium; my employer covers the rest. Over the last nine years, deductibles and co-pays have steadily risen, while the amount I pay for coverage has also increased significantly. Last year I had over $12,000 in out of pocket medical expenses to pay (my son broke his arm and needed surgery, and I was in treatment for cancer), so obviously coverage helps cover a lot of the charges, but is not all inclusive.

The days of paying $30 for the birth of a baby are long over, and companies that pay 100% of health insurance are very few and far between.

Actually, it was 3 years ago and would still be the same today if we had that same plan. :rolleyes1 The folks at that place (a public university) now have to pay 1% of their insurance costs. We left there because DH got a promotion to come here, more responsibility, better title, etc. and a raise. Only not really because of the health insurance costs.

I'm very lucky. My employer pays 100% of my familes medical coverage. I pay a few dollars a month for life insurance and about $30 per month for dental. No disability insurance though.

We pay $100 a month towards medical and $30 to dental. $10 dr co-pay, $50 er co-pay. Up until recently we ha no co-pay. No idea what his employer pays. He works for the county and annual salary is crappy.

DH employer pays 100% of our insurance premiums (we just have a $10 co-pay) they also pay for his life insurance. My job would cover me 100% if I needed it, and my job also covers life insurance. That is for health, dental, and eye. We are very fortunate. :cheer2:

My employer covers 90% of the premium. It's really good insurance too, with low co-pays and deductables.

I am SO lucky!

I am SO thankful!

And I am SO not ever leaving this job if I can help it!

I'm the admin for our company's health insurance. The company pays 70% of health and life premiums.

The coverage gets worse and worse every year. Premiums have doubled over the last two years. We're a small business. The only choice is to pick a plan with less benefits that is less expensive. We're paying 30% more for our current policy than we were two years ago and it was an awesome plan. $10 copays, good drug card. The current plan has a 2,000 deductible, and only covers generic drugs until deductible has been met. For the most part, employees have been pretty understanding, but there are a few who think it's all our fault. :confused3

Actually, it was 3 years ago and would still be the same today if we had that same plan. :rolleyes1 The folks at that place (a public university) now have to pay 1% of their insurance costs. We left there because DH got a promotion to come here, more responsibility, better title, etc. and a raise. Only not really because of the health insurance costs.

"Public university" positions (or in our state, pretty much any state job) generally have tremendous benefits. My stepmom was a nurse for a state owned nursing home, and her benefits for health insurance, as well as her pension, were unbelieveable. Her pay was terrific too. The teachers in our public school district don't have to make any contributions towards their insurance premiums, and they have some of the best insurance available (very low to no copays or deductibles). Probably one of the reasons why my property taxes are sky high! When I had dd8, our out of pocket expenses were approximately $3,300 (back in 2000). When I had ds in 1991, we paid $350.

As pp have said, I'm just glad to have insurance. I see an amazing number of parents whose babies I take care of that don't have any private insurance coverage.

We just went to a HRA this year with a $1500 deductible/individual and $4500 for family. Company picks up 100% of premium for individual and a portion (around 40% maybe) towards all other tiers. They are also paying out the first $750 of the deductible for each employee. All other coverages (except for life insurance - they ensure FT employees & pay 100%) are completely picked up by individuals. As this is a non-profit organization, I feel blessed to have the coverage they offer.

The town I work for pays 90% for our health insurance. I pay $35/wk. We have great coverage -just about everything I've needed for my son ahs been paid.

Here's the deal..

A company is going to spend X on it's employees. So you can get paid less and have a bigger contribution to health insurance or vice versa.

Even with "good" insurance our cost for my last pregnancy & delivery was just over $10,000 after deductables & co-pays.

Dh is uninsurable if not under a group plan so we have no real choice. I'm just grateful to have insurance.

OMG. :scared1: Seriously!?

DH got hired by Fed. Government in April and so we picked up their health insurance... and I think they pay 90% of our premiums. :confused3 It's in the book, but I can't remember exactly. It ends up being $77.89/bi-weekly to insure DH and "family" which will include me and baby Lucas when he's born.

That said- our cost for all prenatal care, delivery and the hospital stay is covered at 100%. This has been a tremendous relief to DH and I but I had no idea just how relieved we should be!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter