If you were only going to one park, would you go to Animal Kingdom?

Tina26

<font color=red>Say something witty and you will r
This year my family will be going to Universal Studios for the first time and Blizzard Beach. We want to visit one other park at Disney and I have already chosen AK for that park but now I'm having second thoughts. I know the park closes at 5pm but costs the same as the other parks that stay open later.

We've never been to AK and I'm wondering if you guys think this park is worth using our park day, or do you think another park would be better? I've heard conflicting opinions about this park and I'm just a little confused:confused:

Any info or opinions you guys could give would be great. By the way, my boys ages are 5, 12, and 15, would they like AK? Thanks so much for your help!:D

Tina

While I enjoy AK and think it a worthy addition to the Disney family, I don't think I've ever spent more than 4 hours there in a single trip.

You could probably do every single attraction in the park in a full day. If you find that everything there appeals to you, go for it. Personally, it would be last on my list.

I would much prefer either MGM or MK if I only had one day.

I would pick Magic Kingdom myself.

It seems to have the largest amount of rides and a nice variety of things to do for people of all ages.

I personally wouldn't do AK if I was only doing one Disney park.As you said it costs the same as the other three and it closes earlier.My family pretty much does it all of AK in 4 or 5 hrs.

If you're wanting more bang for your buck I'd definitely pick one of the other 3 parks,probably one that was showing fireworks.With the ages of your kids I think MK would be your best bet.::MickeyMo

As the others have said, I would not do AK if I only had 1 day. We do AK on an early entry morning and are done by noon everytime. I would do MK because of all that it has to offer. By the way, I think you will love Universal and your kids especially IOA. Are you staying onsite for FOTL? Good luck on your WDW choice. You really can't go wrong with MK though.

Yes, because that's the park my son's a cast member at! :teeth:

But seriously, it would be tough to choose between the classic MK day and another park...

AK is our absolute favorite of the parks--the shows, the ambience, the rides (the safari is never the same twice), the Flame Tree BBQ or Rainforest Cafe. It's the park we always leave with a satisfied, peaceful and magical feeling. And always seem to find a full day's worth to do.

Can you park hop?? AK first, followed by one of the later closing parks to finish the day?

If I was in your possition I would probably stick with a more framiliar park. Since the only other park you're going to is also one you've never done before, maybe you would also like to round out the trip with an old favorite that really makes you feel like you're at WDW as opposed to going to another park you've never seen before in your life.

I'm with every one else. If I only had one day to do to one of the WDW parks, it would be the Magic Kingdom. Lots to do, and more time to play. And you will be able to meet more chateters.

I think everyone and every family is different when it comes to picking just one park to visit--or conversely one park to skip. :) If your boys like animals, then AK certainly makes sense. And since your family has never been to AK, there is definitely some logic in making it your one park visit.

As an alternative, MK is certainly a safe choice for a one-park trip. But just to show how everyone is different, MK is the one park I would skip if my time is limited. We live near Disneyland, so if we had to skip any park in Orlando, we would skip MK so we could experience the parks that are most different from Disneyland. In fact, I did skip MK during my first visit to Orlando since my time was limited (a business trip).

Again, everyone is different. I think either AK or MK would be good choices for your family. You can't go wrong with either...after all, it's Disney!!! :)

If I only had one day at the parks I would have no problem choosing AK for it. But only if you want a much more relaxed type of day. I spend entire days there, just walking around enjoying what the park has to offer other then shows and rides. It is a beautiful place. If you don't think that is something your family would like to do, then I would pick one of the other parks.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I say if you've never done AK then you should do it. There are many things for your boys to enjoy there & contrary to what others believe, I think you can spend a whole day there.

There's:

The Safari
Dinosaur ride
Tough to Be A Bug
Festival of the Lion King
Tarzan Rocks
Flights of Wonder
Kali River Rapids

All of these I consider not-to-be-missed attractions. JMO.

There are also walking tours to view the animals. There is a boat ride (can't remember the name of the attraction)

There's the midway area now, which has Primieval whirl & a lot of other attractions. Your 5-yr old could probably spend hours in the Dinosaur Dig area (playground). For that matter, I bet your 12 yr. old would enjoy it too.

If you're sons are just into all thrill rides & nothing else then maybe that's not the park for you, but if you want to do some rides & also some shows & relax while enjoying the animals, etc. then I would suggest doing AK, only because you've never done it before.

Good luck with your decision! :D

I really like this park and have no trouble staying there from open to close. After 5pm, I would go over to AKL for a nice dinner.

My personal answer is no - but for you its a little more complicated. How many times have you visited the other parks in the last five years? Are you bored with the other parks - you have never been to AK and it took me years to go after it opened because I always chose the others parks over it due to always spending 3 or less days at WDW. AK is a neat experience completely different from the other parks and you can start your day at my favorite character breakfast with Donald Duck and Mickey and end in one of the most raved about restaurants, Boma, at AKL. Your sons, other than the five year old, may be ready to try something new and something thats not as childish - not my opinion trust you - as MK. Epcot is a little too much for one day I have always found (and trust me I try every time I go and it just doesn't work). MGM is fun but IMHO it doesn't appeal to the childish imagination and desire for exploration like AK does.

You can really spend the whole day at AK with lots of time to explore whereas in the other parks you will be rushed and frantic that you need to get everything in in one day.

Have fun and I wouldn't second guess yourself - it will be fun and definately not boring or a wasted day. Just think if they did have a lowered price ticket for AK it owuld be unbearably packed each and every day because it has a lot of fans who would die to just stop in for the day.
:wave2:

For me it would depend on the time of year you're going. AK is known to be the hottest of all parks in the summer which is why most people only can take a couple of hours of it and move on to another park, I know that's what happens to me. I love this park but I only do it in the early morning and I'm sure to be gone by noon! That said I try to go at least once in every vacation, I love seeing the animals (which you get the best view early in the morning if you can get on the first Safari ride). I personally would also pick MK if I only had one day because there are more rides and entertainment for all ages. Have a wonderful time whatever you decide.:teeth:

If we could only do one park, it would definitely be MK.

BUT, if you've never been to AK before, your kids love seeing animals, and you've already done the other parks before (and know you'll do them again), then there's nothing wrong with AK being your one park.

I'm sure your family will have plenty of fun no matter which park you choose! :)

I totally agree with the suggestion to go to the park and then the AKL. If you went to Boma, they do have a children's section that serves American food, so you will definitely have something to fall back on. The food there is delicious and quite authentic. I recently spent 2 weeks in Africa and ate exactly what was on the buffet there, well besides the dessert part of the buffet. There are also many activities at the hotel, including animal watching with night-vision goggles and stories around the campfire. The hotel is very beautiful and transports you away from the hustle and bustle of the theme park world.

Plus, the early night could give you time to go shopping at DTD or to go back to the hotel and relax and enjoy instead of tiring yourself to the bone. You could have a very relaxing day that day.

Also, if you are worried about the lack of thrill rides for your sons, there is Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, and Kali River Rapids that you could ride many times over if the shows do not appeal to you.

In general, I don't think I would pick AK if I had only one park to go to (probably would choose MK), but if it was the only one I had never been to before, that would be a different story. I think going to AK (if you think your kids will enjoy it) is a great idea in that case. Have fun on your trip!

Thank you all so much for your reply's. I'm still trying to decide on which park, but now I'm definitely leaning toward MK as our Disney park day. I think we might wait til we have park hoppers to do AK. We stayed at AKL last year and really loved the resort, so I feel like we've already had the chance to see all the animals while we were there. I really appreciate all your help!:D

You didn't say when you are going . If it is summer, I would immediately eliminate AK because of the heat.

I have three boys and none of them would pick AK if they could only go to one park, but each would pick a different park.

The 9-year-old would choose MK. He loves the mountains and Buzz Lightyear and likes Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, speedway, TTA, etc. He likes to stay out of Fantasyland totally, but he hasn't yet seen Mickey's Philharmagic. He would want to eat at Pecos Bill's and stay to see the evening parade.

The 16-year-old would choose MGM because Tower of Terror is his favorite ride and since it's been changed (not the same every time), he would ride it over and over. He also would vote for a meal at Prime Time. He can take or leave Fantasmic.

The 19-year-old would choose Epcot. It's always been his favorite park since his first trip when he was 5. He loves Mission Space and Test Track, some of the educational attractions (Spaceship Earth, Energy) and the funny World Showcase entertainment (living statues, mime, chair act, etc.). He would want to eat at Teppanyaki. He would insist that we stay for Illuminations.

I personally would have a lot of trouble choosing if I could just go to one park. MK has a lot of attractions, but it tends to be crowded. My favorite single attraction is at MGM (ToT), but it has fewer stuff over all. Epcot has diversity and great food. AK would be my last choice, too, especially since it closes so early.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter