If you want to stay someone other than your home resort...

Do you go ahead and book your home resort at 11 months just in case and then try to get into the other resort at 7 months? Does this create any problems with "tying up your points"? Sorry if this is a silly question. We are researching buying into DVC and this is something that I was wondering about.

Yes, I generally do this (book at my home resort before the 7 month mark and then switch if we want to try a different resort). But this can impact your points negatively if your home resort is a higher point resort. For instance, my home resort is BLT and if I book a 2 bedroom for a week, that's more points than a 2 bedroom at some other resorts. If I borrowed points to make the BLT reservation, they won't be "unborrowed" if I change to a lower point resort.

This year I borrowed 2017 points to make a BLT reservation for 2016. At the 7 month mark I switched to the same type room at BCV. The total points required was two points less. So I was refunded 2 points from my 2016 basket - not my 2017 basket. Not a big deal because we're planning another trip in 2017 so I can bank those 2 points from the 2016 basket and use them in 2017. And also because it's only 2 points. But if it had been a lot more points and/or I didn't plan to go again next year, not being able to get back those borrowed points could have been a negative.

FYI I think this gets more complicated depending on when your use year is. Mine is Feb so I basically treat it in my head as calendar year. I would need a spreadsheet if I had a middle of the year use year. :)

I would buy at a resort where you'd be happy if it was your only option. That being said, it is wonderful to stay at the other DVC resorts and try as many of them out as you can!

We bought Aulani when we lived in California and was looking to use it as an every other year stay in Hawaii. However, life changed and we moved to the East Coast in 2013. We can't travel to Aulani as often so we have made the most of the 7 month window for the resorts on the east coast. Maybe we're easy guests but we've loved every stay so far. Since moving eastward 3 years ago we had a great two bedroom unit at HHI for a week, spent a week in a 1 Bedroom at Saratoga Springs, sent my parents to Aulani for a week and will be spending a week in OKW in three weeks. So far, those stays combined with the prior stays we made at Aulani and Grand Californian we feel like we've made our initial investment back (not counting dues). Next year we'll be going back to Aulani for 10 nights in a 1 bedroom.

I don't mind the 7 month lottery and seeing whatever is available within my points budget. However, if I did own at WDW, I'd want to own at a resort I knew I enjoyed staying at on the off possibility of no availability at 7 months.

This year I borrowed 2017 points to make a BLT reservation for 2016. At the 7 month mark I switched to the same type room at BCV. The total points required was two points less. So I was refunded 2 points from my 2016 basket - not my 2017 basket. Not a big deal because we're planning another trip in 2017 so I can bank those 2 points from the 2016 basket and use them in 2017. And also because it's only 2 points. But if it had been a lot more points and/or I didn't plan to go again next year, not being able to get back those borrowed points could have been a negative.

I planned to do something similar to this for March '17 but it's my first time trying it so this is answering some of my questions. Specifically, I was planning to book BLT for 1 week at 11 months then see if BWV was available at 7 months for less point, but for a 10 day stay instead. my plan was to keep the number of points used about the same but for a longer stay. Or what about a split stay? From previous posts, it sounds like I would have to completely cancel my 1 week at BLT then try to rebook BWV or whatever else is available at 7 months. My main goal was to get longer stay for my points than what BLT is costing at that time.

unfortunately, I can't plan another trip later in '17 since the points I'm trying to use are expiring in March '17. just trying to figure out if booking BLT at all is worth it or does everyone just wait for the 7month window & see what's left? Ideally, I wanted a week at BWV 1BD then 3 days at AKV CL. from what other postings have said, not much available at AKV CL at 7 months...

unfortunately, I can't plan another trip later in '17 since the points I'm trying to use are expiring in March '17. just trying to figure out if booking BLT at all is worth it or does everyone just wait for the 7month window & see what's left? Ideally, I wanted a week at BWV 1BD then 3 days at AKV CL. from what other postings have said, not much available at AKV CL at 7 months...

"Not much available at CL at 7 months" really means very little chance! You may get a 1 bedroom for a day or two, but if you plan on a studio you will most likely be disappointed. There are only 10 2 bedroom lock offs altogether . As expected , the 1 bedrooms usually are last to go.

"Not much available at CL at 7 months" really means very little chance! You may get a 1 bedroom for a day or two, but if you plan on a studio you will most likely be disappointed. There are only 10 2 bedroom lock offs altogether . As expected , the 1 bedrooms usually are last to go.
Five two bedroom lockoffs on the AKV CL at Jambo House. So half of what you even said. Three are partial savanna view (the roof overhang partially blocks the view of the Sunset Savanna) and two are pool view (again with a lot of roof in the way).

Basically, at most, there are 10 bookable Club Level AKV units. In practice, this is usually a lower number if someone manages to snare a 2BR.

Max: 10
Minimum: 5

Until you stay at all of the resorts I don't know how you can pick a resort that will make you happy. We bought BLT before staying there and it has turned out to be our least favorite.

:earsboy: Bill
How many points did you end up buying. I'm about to buy into animal kingdom and would have no problem swapping with you if you would rather have animal kingdom.

I'm thankful we booked OKW at 11 months, even though we hoped to switch to AKV. I knew October was a busy time to go, but really never assumed AKV would be booked by 7 months! We didn't want to risk a split stay, so we wait listed the whole week. If we don't get it I'm ok with that, as we have stayed at OKW before we became members.
We will always book at 11 months "just in case," because I don't want to risk having to pay cash for a room (but we are also looking for an AKV contract to ensure I can stay there)

Five two bedroom lockoffs on the AKV CL at Jambo House. So half of what you even said. Three are partial savanna view (the roof overhang partially blocks the view of the Sunset Savanna) and two are pool view (again with a lot of roof in the way).

Right...I am working on a value 2 bedroom reservation. Sorry...only 5 2 bedroom lock offs in CL.

You may get a 1 bedroom for a day or two, but if you plan on a studio you will most likely be disappointed. There are only 10 2 bedroom lock offs altogether . As expected , the 1 bedrooms usually are last to go.

i'd LOVE a 1 BD at AKL CL for a couple of days if i can get it. crossing fingers it will somehow work out at 7 months. so majority of DIS experts feel that booking at BLT at 11 months is unnecessary if I don't truly plan to stay there anyway?

i'd LOVE a 1 BD at AKL CL for a couple of days if i can get it. crossing fingers it will somehow work out at 7 months. so majority of DIS experts feel that booking at BLT at 11 months is unnecessary if I don't truly plan to stay there anyway?

Since you say you want less points are you aiming for BWV Standard view? What if BWV is not available? Since you say you want less points are you aiming for Standard view? Then where would you want to stay? Is any location that requires less points than BLT acceptable? If so then there probably isn't any need to book BLT although the most conservative would be to book it just in case something goes really wonky with availability next year - although I wouldn't really expect that to happen.

How many points did you end up buying. I'm about to buy into animal kingdom and would have no problem swapping with you if you would rather have animal kingdom.

We also own AKV and it is also one of our least favorite. The novelty of the animals has worn off for us and it's too far from everything. It's a nice place to visit but we don't live there often.

:earsboy: Bill

If you don't want AKV, don't buy it. You can get almost anything you want on the resale market, so buy where you want to stay.

Since you say you want less points are you aiming for BWV Standard view? What if BWV is not available? Since you say you want less points are you aiming for Standard view? Then where would you want to stay? Is any location that requires less points than BLT acceptable? If so then there probably isn't any need to book BLT although the most conservative would be to book it just in case something goes really wonky with availability next year - although I wouldn't really expect that to happen.

I've always gotten a standard view 1 BD. I've never stayed at BWV but I definitely like the location & the lower points cost. Also what I've read on the Disboards makes it sound really good. My backup would be at either OKW or AKL-K. I've never stayed at either of those resorts yet, but my friend stayed at OKW 5 years ago & she said it was ok. Thank you for your advice! I'm a hardcore planner, so I have to fight the urge to book at 11 months & see what happens at 7 months. HAHA! We've never been to FL in March, so we're hoping for nicer weather, F&G festival & Spring Training! Let's all cross our fingers for no wonky bookings for 2017... :yay:

so majority of DIS experts feel that booking at BLT at 11 months is unnecessary if I don't truly plan to stay there anyway?
I don't know where you'd get that idea. Why would you NOT book your home resort? There's usually no downside, and if everything higher on your wish list is booked, at least you've got something. That's especially true for longer trips, where you might find what you want at 7 months, but only for a few of the days.

Unless you just wouldn't go if your home resort was the only option, I'd always book it.

If you are going at a time that is busy, yes I'd book at your home resort 11 months out. The only time we've booked 11 months out so far was for marathon weekend, as we're happy to stay at AL but hoping to stay elsewhere.

However, anytime we've wanted to stay at another resort we've never had an issue booking what we wanted at 7 months. We might not get the view we wanted but we've always gotten in.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter