If you used the free Dining Plan before...Tip Poll

Did you add to the tip given by the plan?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oh, I just wanted to quickly add that between Disney and me, our server at Le Cellier recieved a $30+ tip. And, at least in my opinion, we were a VERY friendly and undemanding group of four. I ordered the most expensive appy and lets just say noone got a salad. My only complaint was that we weren't able to flag down anyone for a drink refill until our entrees arrived. However, our waiter checked our glasses every 10-15 min after and refilled them automatically.

We were there for an hour....

Now on our last trip to Le Cellier we had a very rude waitress that not only didn't bring us refills but made frequent stops to the table inches from ours. We felt discriminated against b/c she was sure to refill his alcoholic drinks but would never stop by our table. We finally complained to the people that brought our food and they took care of it. She also never brought my soup or the breadstick refill. Then she came back and asked if I still wanted the soup or did I want her to take it off (after the meal was complete...and she was really snotty!!). When I asked her about our drinks she said "I can only do one thing at a time." She also told the story of the bread but she stood at the table next to ours to do it and I got the feeling she wasn't trying to talk to both tables at once because she wouldnt' look at us and kept lowering her voice. Anyhow, she only recieved a 5% tip from us (we were paying OOP) and if she didn't like it, too bad. All she brought to us our entire meal was our first round of drinks and breadsticks, and the bill. My husband and I discussed how if we were on the DDP we would have asked management to deduct most of the automatic tip.

I think she was new and an isolated case b/c she seemed very flustered as well. I was kind of jealous b/c I saw a very sweet waitress at a table not far from our sit down and chat with a lady who was alone and had completed her meal. They had a long conversation about something or other and I thought to myself....if only our waitress had taken 1/4 of the time with us that this other young lady did with her customers!

DisneyFreq said:
We only leave an extra tip when we feel the server has gone over and beyond...otherwise the 15-18% that the DDP pays out is sufficient. We had a wonderful waiter at Le Cellier and we added another 5 to the table and we had an absolutely awesome waitress at Ohana's that recieved and extra ten (we purchased alcoholic beverages that night + there was a mistake on the bill that she cleared up VERY fast)....as well as a very friendly, informative gentleman at Boma's that recieved another $5. We DIDN'T add to the tip at Chef Mickeys (very disappointing experience) or Teppenyaki (we were ushered thru and plates were just sort of slapped down in front of us...couldnt' find anyone for refills and the chef wasn't very outgoing).

I feel like this: if disney staff gives off the attitude "I'm making money whether I work hard for it or not" then the built in tip is all they really deserve, but when they come out acting like that tip is still something they "should" work for even tho its an automatic, then they'll be receiving extra from me.

I would build in about $5 per TS...if you use my guidelines, chances are you'll hit AT LEAST one TS that you won't leave extra for...leaving a bonus $5 (total $10) for that extra special cast member that knocks your socks off ( pixiedust: pixie dust that you find one!). I wouldn't go so far as to base it on the bill b/c TS have such a wide variety of price ranges (and really, does one waiter work harder to bring me a $30 steak than another waiter delivering a $20 family style meal??)...keep in mind the number of people...we had two adults and 2c. Our next trip we'll have 4a and 2c so I'll probably bring $10 per TS and leave $10 at good tables and $15 at great tables.

This is the exact attitude I have when it comes to tipping on the DDP. Could not have stated it better.

This year I going to to try a new techinque for free dining, when the server says "I see your on the dining plan" or "Do you plan on using the DDP today?"
I am going to pause and say "I haven't decided, maybe I might pay out of pocket for this meal, I'll let you know at the end of the meal" Maybe they won't take the tip for granted now.

Now when there is two tables with empty drinks, one one the DDP (and thus a granteed tip) vs me (someone the server has to still earn his/her tip), let's see who gets the drink refilled first? Any wagers out there?

Threeriversdisneyfan said:
This is the exact attitude I have when it comes to tipping on the DDP. Could not have stated it better.

This year I going to to try a new techinque for free dining, when the server says "I see your on the dining plan" or "Do you plan on using the DDP today?"
I am going to pause and say "I haven't decided, maybe I might pay out of pocket for this meal, I'll let you know at the end of the meal" Maybe they won't take the tip for granted now.

Now when there is two tables with empty drinks, one one the DDP (and thus a granteed tip) vs me (someone the server has to still earn his/her tip), let's see who gets the drink refilled first? Any wagers out there?

If you try that trick there, will it mess with you ordering? I mean... will it matter if you are on plan or not when ordering? Sorry- this will be my 1st time using dining!

miss missy said:
If you try that trick there, will it mess with you ordering? I mean... will it matter if you are on plan or not when ordering? Sorry- this will be my 1st time using dining!

My first two ADR are at buffets, so I guess even I can't mess that up on the DDP. My next one is at Le Cellier, the best servers in WDW work there. "Yes I'm on the DDP" will be my response and the next hour or so will be pure heaven. At HDDR everyone has tickets in advance, so as long as my server refills my beer on a some what constant pace I'll be happy. :drinking1

After that It's pretty much buffets so I should be DDP compliant.

results are about 50% tip extra and 50% dont... thanks everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter