If you see a character you don't "recognize".....

CutlerP

Mouseketeer
.....what do you do?

Let's say you come across a character with minimal lines around, it's an interesting looking character, you'd like a photo...(and, in H and my case, have no little ones with you)... what would YOU do?

Ask who they are?
Pretend you know?
Pass them by?
Something else?

Just wonderin' what others do......

(yayyyyy, 6 days to go!) :cheer2::cheer2:

Pretend you know, get a photo, and then Google the character later. That is what I did with Marie last year :)

Listen to those around you who might be saying the characters name :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 I pretty much know all the names of the characters (at least the ones that show up in the parks) and I'm one of those people who will call out their name. For example, I'll say to my daughter: "Look, it's Marie from The Aristocats!"

This happened to me on my last trip. I went to the MK one night alone as my mom wasn't feeling too great. I brought my drawings with me and went to look for Tinkerbell to get her to sign one. Got in line and first had to meet with this lovely girl who I had no idea who she was lol (turned out to be Rosetta). I had to be honest with her and tell her I didn't have a drawing of her since I had no clue who she was! She took it well and since was no one else in line so we had a nice long conversation about pirates and how its only ok to date the hot ones :)

This happened to me at the Halloween party one year. It was the very end of the night and I was so exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open. I was getting cranky too. But we decided to go in for one more meet, back when Storybook Circus was still toontown, where the meets were anonymous and you didn't know who you'd be meeting, and we wound up meeting some lion looking creature who I had no idea who it was. I think his name is Jojo?
I
I was not happy.

This happened to me at the Halloween party one year. It was the very end of the night and I was so exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open. I was getting cranky too. But we decided to go in for one more meet, back when Storybook Circus was still toontown, where the meets were anonymous and you didn't know who you'd be meeting, and we wound up meeting some lion looking creature who I had no idea who it was. I think his name is Jojo?
I
I was not happy.

haha... him?

He was from a Disney JR show :rotfl::rotfl:

I
I was not happy.

JoJo was the clown. Goliath was the lion. My oldest would have freaked!! He was in love with that show and was even Goliath for Halloween one year. :) I didn't know they ever had those characters out back then.

Happened to us, a lot, while eating at Hollywood and Vine in 2010.

I think the characters were Little Einstein or something, which we knew none of. I think the kids might have known one or two. They kept coming up to us at our table, and we would act all excited to see them. We would have them sign the kids autograph books so that we could figure out who the heck they were! Plus, it was a nice deflection from having to say, "Hey there!, uh, uh..."

...and for that reason, plus the very plain decor, and the so-so food, Hollywood and Vine is off our TS list since then. (it was a last minute ADR, which I wish we could take back and trade for something else)

Dan

Yep. I almost had an adult temper tantrum when I walked in and saw that.

I think that's called a hissy fit haha :rotfl2:

Happened to us, a lot, while eating at Hollywood and Vine in 2010.

I think the characters were Little Einstein or something, which we knew none of. I think the kids might have known one or two. They kept coming up to us at our table, and we would act all excited to see them. We would have them sign the kids autograph books so that we could figure out who the heck they were! Plus, it was a nice deflection from having to say, "Hey there!, uh, uh..."

...and for that reason, plus the very plain decor, and the so-so food, Hollywood and Vine is off our TS list since then. (it was a last minute ADR, which I wish we could take back and trade for something else)

Dan

We booked that ADR one time for my youngest nephew because he would know those characters. (He didn't know who Mickey and the gang were because my brother and SIL apparently were educating him in all the wrong things :confused3 ) The other 4 of us had no clue who any of them were and my youngest nephew was terrified of them. Wasted ADR. So disappointed! We grilled my oldest nephew on who they were, but he had no clue either, so we just pretended we knew who they were when they came around and then I googled their name from the autograph :thumbsup2

At Epcot one year we saw Jane (from Tarzan) - everyone was walking by her (she was outside MouseGears and I think most people didn't recognize her). We knew who she was and were thrilled to meet her!

We saw Max in a similar location one May (we were in line to meet the Fairies the year they were in Epcot) - he took me a minute to recognize (then we checked with a CM to make sure we were right before meeting him)

Back when you could actually encounter characters walking through the parks, we were in Magic Kingdom one day, and two characters from Pinocchio came toward us, a fox and a cat. As the handler for the cat drew near my wife, he asked her, "I'll bet you don't even know who this is, do you?"

My wife stopped, hugged the cat, and said, "It's Gideon, of course!" The handler look quite surprised, but Gideon gave my wife a second, prolonged hug with that one! :thumbsup2

And the fox, that was "Honest John!" :)

Sadly, we haven't seen either character in the parks since. :worried:

Back when you could actually encounter characters walking through the parks, we were in Magic Kingdom one day, and two characters from Pinocchio came toward us, a fox and a cat. As the handler for the cat drew near my wife, he asked her, "I'll bet you don't even know who this is, do you?"

My wife stopped, hugged the cat, and said, "It's Gideon, of course!" The handler look quite surprised, but Gideon gave my wife a second, prolonged hug with that one! :thumbsup2

And the fox, that was "Honest John!" :)

Sadly, we haven't seen either character in the parks since. :worried:

Our first trip in 2003 we met Gideon and King John (not together, I hasten to add)! Had to tell him off because he should have known that he needed to suck his thumb when things went wrong! We met Turk in 2005.

I've never seen a character that I didn't recognize. But I would meet them anyway.

Never encountered someone we don't know. We were wandering around Camp Minnie Mickey years ago and poor Brer Bear was all alone. No one knew who he was. He was so excited someone knew him. He picked me a nearby flower to show is appreciation. After we got to play for a while, others realized he was a nice bear and came up to him.

If we did find someone we don't know, I guess I would just play along and google them after.

During our firs family trip in January 2011 my daughters came across Marie from the Aristocats. They didn't now her but were very excited to see such a beautiful white kitty. They got a picture taken with her and her autograph, it was so sweet and magical. I guess the lesson is even if you don't know the character just go with it because it can turn out to be special.

This happened to me at the Halloween party one year. It was the very end of the night and I was so exhausted I can barely keep my eyes open. I was getting cranky too. But we decided to go in for one more meet, back when Storybook Circus was still toontown, where the meets were anonymous and you didn't know who you'd be meeting, and we wound up meeting some lion looking creature who I had no idea who it was. I think his name is Jojo? I I was not happy.

The Lion's name was Goliath from the show Jojo's Circus. Jojo is a clown. My oldest two kids loved that show!! We did a character meal at Hollywood and Vine so we could see them in 2006. Now the theme song is going through my mind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter