• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you own a Sony PS3, what would make you buy a PS4?

Big Cuddly Bear

DIS Veteran
I bought the PS3 because at the time I bought it, it was just about the cheapest way to buy a Blu - Ray player. It was a nice bonus that the new technology allowed for far improved graphics, but speaking for myself, I don't really need for video games to look any better than they do now.

So, obviously, I have no idea what will be new and exciting in a PS4 when it comes out, but improved graphics would not be enough for me to buy it. I don't know if there is anything that would make me buy it unless my PS3 broke.

What would you like to see in a Sony PS4? It seems like the PS3 has just about reached the end of its life span, based on previous console generations - though, it is also obvious that a PS4 not imminent.

We would not upgrade until our current PS3 broke. There are very few family friendly games on that system. We do use the blu ray capabilities and our youngest child loves to play LBP so we would replace it fairly quickly if it broke.

I bought the PS3 because at the time I bought it, it was just about the cheapest way to buy a Blu - Ray player. It was a nice bonus that the new technology allowed for far improved graphics, but speaking for myself, I don't really need for video games to look any better than they do now.

So, obviously, I have no idea what will be new and exciting in a PS4 when it comes out, but improved graphics would not be enough for me to buy it. I don't know if there is anything that would make me buy it unless my PS3 broke.

What would you like to see in a Sony PS4? It seems like the PS3 has just about reached the end of its life span, based on previous console generations - though, it is also obvious that a PS4 not imminent.

Though I believe it will be quite awhile before we start seeing information about a next gen system from any of the major companies (sales are actually still decent), I know of only one way to get me to buy a PS4 type of machine.

Full backwards compatibility. If it does not play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, then I have no need for it.

Consoles are far outdated from computers, but most people don't want to spend the money or know how to upkeep a computer powerful enough to run those games. So there's only about a 1% market for the most powerful games out there. Consoles are a set cost, and have a larger market. So that's how they earned and keep a larger profit developing games for consoles.

So there is still plenty of room for upgrading, especially with LED tv's, 3D tv's, and screens getting larger and larger. Plus load times are horrendous with some of these new games. There was never a load time with cartridge based games.

Full backwards compatibility. If it does not play PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, then I have no need for it.

Agreed.

Thankfully, we have one of the first generation PS3s and it is backward compatible. We wouldn't give that up for anything.

Consoles are far outdated from computers, but most people don't want to spend the money or know how to upkeep a computer powerful enough to run those games. So there's only about a 1% market for the most powerful games out there. Consoles are a set cost, and have a larger market. So that's how they earned and keep a larger profit developing games for consoles.

So there is still plenty of room for upgrading, especially with LED tv's, 3D tv's, and screens getting larger and larger. Plus load times are horrendous with some of these new games. There was never a load time with cartridge based games.

I have high end computers and I have consoles. It totally depends on the games that I enjoy playing. Not all games are released on both the console and on the computer and it always seems to be the ones I want.

Though, honestly, many of the top of the top games I don't usually play. Not my style or genre usually.

I would probably buy it right away if it had good launch games. Otherwise wait for some to be announced.

I have a PS2 and two PS3s so a PS4 would be welcome.

I am tired of upgrading gaming systems so yeah it would take the ps3 to break.

We'd only replace our PS3 if it broke.

My husband does play it, but he tends to play more games on his computer overall. For me, the thing is only useful as a blu-ray, and the kids use it, but they also use the PS2, Wii and their DS's.

It's likely whatever system comes out next will capitalize on the new 3D televisions. Considering that my husband and I both have minor vision issues that don't allow us to enjoy 3D, we won't be purchasing a TV with that feature, and are unlikely to buy a game system with it.

We'd only replace our PS3 if it broke.

My husband does play it, but he tends to play more games on his computer overall. For me, the thing is only useful as a blu-ray, and the kids use it, but they also use the PS2, Wii and their DS's.

It's likely whatever system comes out next will capitalize on the new 3D televisions. Considering that my husband and I both have minor vision issues that don't allow us to enjoy 3D, we won't be purchasing a TV with that feature, and are unlikely to buy a game system with it.

Games are already being released in 3D, Killzone 3 just came out. But often times it's not throughout the whole game, or it's so horrible done that the settings have to be turned way down which puts it back into regular mode almost.
Plus until 3D tvs are common in every household, playing it in both formats will always be an option.

Plus in a small niche of gamers, you can't beat out an old CRT tv, no frame rates, true colors, and a few other things that new TVs haven't got. But unless you're into those sorts of games, the average person would never know the difference.

It would take Sony realizing that they had an inferior design and heat build up problem in their early PS3 units that caused them to prematurely fail. And then to stand by their warranty to fix or replace it. I got my son an XBox 360 instead and we took additional precautions with a vented computer stand setup and elevated open bottom platform.

Our PS3 was so overheated at one point (with minimal playing time - my kids are not allowed to play for hours on end mind you - talking like 45 minutes to an hour here) was blazing hot...open shelf, open cabinet, lots of clearance around it...unacceptable design and lack of customer service...

In short, it would take alot to bring me back to PS4.

It would take Sony realizing that they had an inferior design and heat build up problem in their early PS3 units that caused them to prematurely fail. And then to stand by their warranty to fix or replace it. I got my son an XBox 360 instead and we took additional precautions with a vented computer stand setup and elevated open bottom platform.

Our PS3 was so overheated at one point (with minimal playing time - my kids are not allowed to play for hours on end mind you - talking like 45 minutes to an hour here) was blazing hot...open shelf, open cabinet, lots of clearance around it...unacceptable design and lack of customer service...

In short, it would take alot to bring me back to PS4.

No malice here, but this post is funny to me, with the infamous XBOX 360 "Ring of Death". The XBOX 360 ( 1st generation ) is factually the game console with the highest rate of failure within 1 year in the history of consoles.

http://consumerist.com/2009/08/xbox-360-failure-rate-is-542-percent-game-informer-finds.html

The Xbox 360 breaks five times as often as its closest failure-prone competitor, the PlayStation 3, a print edition-only Game Informer survey found.

The poorly manufactured, red ring of death-prone console has a 54.2 percent failure rate, compared to 10.6 percent for the PS3 and the Wii's 6.8 percent.

The magazine surveyed nearly 5,000 readers to get the data. And while the 360's rate is alarmingly higher than the others, it's still bafflingly low because it blows the mind to imagine that 45.8 percent of the consoles have not broken. Also, Microsoft's numbers are inflated because 360s are used the most of the three consoles. Results said 40.3 percent of 360 owners use the console three to five hours a day, compared to 37 percent of PS3 owners. Meanwhile, the plurality of Wii owners (41.4 percent) play their consoles less than an hour a day.

Microsoft also seized the gold medal for unhelpful customer service, taking nearly a month to repair or replace a console, while Nintendo and Sony stuck closer to a week. Only 37.7 percent of Microsoft customers found the company's customer service was "very helpful," compared to 51.1 percent fo Sony and 56.1 percent for Nintendo.

The most shocking number from the survey — and frightening from a consumer perspective — is only 3.8 percent of Xbox 360 owners said they'd never buy another Xbox because of hardware failure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter