If you love deluxe resorts would you consider

We prefer to stay deluxe, but if I couldnt go to Disney for 4-5 years then I would surely stay in a value. That is just too long for us in between trips. We usually go every 12-18 months and sometimes stay deluxe, sometimes value. I have no problem staying value, we have done it before and are doing it again in May. It is just a different type of trip. We never stay mod, I dont see the worth of spending $700 more to get 2 mod rooms instead of 2 value rooms.

For me its deluxe/villa all the way. We go every year and with all the offers that have been out there we go deluxe. Even if Disney doesn't have an offer available we get the AAA discount. I have never stayed mod or value and truthfully don't have any desire to. Even when we take vacations to the islands it has to be deluxe. I figure we work hard all year and my vacation is a time for pampering.

if I had not brought DVC - then it would be Pop - and Pop is just fine.

it is not a deluxe.

your neighbors are louder. you can heard the plumbing - that is the case all over because Disney is going with the new toilets that make a lot of noise but use less water.

it is very nice for a value.

Have you considered staying off property? Our family of 7 stayed in a very nice house in Windsor Hills 2 years ago and it was much nicer than a value hotel with very cool amenities (game room for the kids with a pool table, arcade games, barbies, AND a pool in the backyard). The beds were very luxurious. The cost was considerably cheaper than a resort.

If I can't stay deluxe or mod, this is my choice. Check out vrbo.com or homeaway.com. It isn't staying on property, but we were at the parks in 10 minutes, and we went back for naps every afternoon with no problem.

Have you considered staying off property? Our family of 7 stayed in a very nice house in Windsor Hills 2 years ago and it was much nicer than a value hotel with very cool amenities (game room for the kids with a pool table, arcade games, barbies, AND a pool in the backyard). The beds were very luxurious. The cost was considerably cheaper than a resort.

If I can't stay deluxe or mod, this is my choice. Check out vrbo.com or homeaway.com. It isn't staying on property, but we were at the parks in 10 minutes, and we went back for naps every afternoon with no problem.

I second this. We had two very nice stays at Windsor Hills.

And I can relate to your dilemma; I just shortened our trip in January so that we can stay at a Deluxe. I would rather lose a couple of days than to stay in a hotel that I am not crazy about. The hotel is a big part of my stay. I really enjoy the lobbies and balconies of the deluxe hotels. It makes my vacation more special. But we spend more time there now that we have been so many times and are not doing park commando tours any more.

What about the cabins? They sleep 6. I enjoyed my stay there. It was nice having the deck for the kids to play on and plenty of room.

We rent poitns and stay at DVC villas each year. We wanted to go back for a "budget" trip a few months after our annual trip so we stayed at CBR. It was a change for us to not have the suite and separate bedrooms and a kitchen, but it was still a great trip. There were things I missed, but I did not dwell on it. I enjoyed the fact that I was at my favorite place with my kids and my family.

If I couldn't stay at a deluxe, the next thing I'd look to is Swan or Dolphin. If those don't work out...I'd start weighing out some of the higher end off site lodging options and some of the non-Disney hotels in DTD. I might consider POR or CBR if we were really in a pinch. While there are times I wish I could be...I'm not of the "it's just a place to sleep and shower" mindset. The hotel experience for me is just as much a part of the vacation as the activities.

So if you are renting DVC points from someone, what is the guarantee that you won't have problems? How does that work? I looked on the DVC page but don't quite understand.

So if you are renting DVC points from someone, what is the guarantee that you won't have problems? How does that work? I looked on the DVC page but don't quite understand.

There's no guarantee, but most rentals go very smoothly. The fact that there is an element or risk is why it's a cheaper route. Go with someone who has references from other renters and has a high post count. Neither is a guarantee, but will give you some peace of mind. Definitely read the stickies on the DVC pages to find out how you can make renting safer. One thing I've seen lately is people putting part of their payment into escrow. Also, make sure you check out the points charts to find out how many points you'll need ahead of time. Most owners charge around $10 a point, give or take a few dollars. I've done it several times and it has worked out very well except for one thing: DVC will spoil you. As a renter you'll have access to everything the owner has except free internet, DVC owner functions, and, if you're staying at BLT, the Top of the World Lounge.

One way to make it safer is to go with a broker. If you have to cancel you're still pretty much out of luck due to the way DVC reservations work, but at least with a broker, you'll know who you're dealing with and they will make all the arrangements. I haven't used David's (he is a sponsor here) but my good friend has and liked his service. He charges a few dollars more per point but his short term rentals are a very good deal from what I've seen. Notice of these rentals comes through his newsletter. The only downside with these shorter term rentals is that they tend to be less popular DVC resorts.

For me, the biggest risk with renting has been the fear of having to cancel. This happened to me once, fortunately the person I rented from worked with me and we found someone else. If you're worried about this happening, make sure you talk about it ahead of time.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

What about one of the value family suites? That way your wouldn't have to rent two rooms, you would have a small kitchenette and a little more space to spread out.

I bounce around between Deluxe and Mods, and am happy at each. Our fav Mod is POR- Riverside in the mansion section.
But if it was WDW or no WDW, I'd stay at a value.

I wouldn't stay off site. We did that our first trip, and decided after that we'd stay on site. Not that the off site hotel wasn't nice, it was. Just a different experience, and prefer being "in the bubble" and the perks of on site. We love the DDP, DME, EMH, and being able to go back to our resort for a mid day break. I don't like staying non stop at the parks from opening to closing, we go back to our resort for a break, swim, etc. Then go back to a park at night for EMH.

For a family of 6 you may want to think about staying in a Family Suite at All Star Music.

Most of the Disney resorts (excluding DVC) charge extra for more than 2 adults in a room.
The Family Suites do not charge extra for extra adults.
1-6 adults can stay in the Family Suites for the same price.
The Family Suites have discounts available also so if you keep your eyes open you just may snag a great deal.

---------------------------------------------

Family Suite info:

DH and I stayed in a Family Suite at All Star Music ( a value resort) in Sept. of 2006.

We really enjoyed the Queen size bed, the kitchenette with the microwave, having a sofa and cushioned chair to sit on and relax after a day at the parks before retiring for the evening.

I thought the pullouts very comfortable.

They are designed so the back cushion and seat cushion of the pullout support the pullout. There is no metal bar to hurt the sleepers back.

Info thread--Pullouts in Family Suites at ASMU with photos of how the pullout is supported.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18100990#post18100990

Here is the layout of the Family Suites:

ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

They:

-Sleep up to 6 (plus one child under age 3 in a Pak-n-Play crib)
-Studio amenities and separate sleeping areas giving more privacy than a standard room.
-Queen bed, full-size pullout sofa, convertible ottoman & chair sleepers
The pullout chair and large ottoman each pull out into standard size twin beds.
(4 separate sleepers)
-Private master bedroom and family room have 27” flat CRT TV and high speed Internet access.
-Kitchenette with microwave, small refrigerator (4.3 cu. ft) and coffee pot
-Two-full bathrooms

Here is my review of the Suites:

www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=17640774&postcount=7

For more photos and info please see this info thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072409&highlight=faq+family+suites

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay!:wizard:

I too enjoy the higher end hotels, however, as beautiful the Grand Floridian is, the rooms are very small. Polynesian has nice rooms with that worlds away feeling.

We go back and forth between all 3 levels of resorts and like them all for different reasons. I actually liked Pop Century better than CSR and POFQ. I can't put my finger on why exactly, though. That being said I wouldn't put off a trip to Disney just because I couldn't stay at AKL I would just stay at my other favorite... Pop! 4 years is a looooooong time without any trips down Main St. USA!:goodvibes

I have never stayed anywhere but a deluxe, but like you, I ponder it all the time. If I couldn't go to WDW for 3years unless I did value, I would pick value. The savings alone should make you smile.

We totally love the deluxe resorts too but can't afford them any longer. Given the size of your family, try staying off-site like we are doing. It is inexpensive, we get a two bedroom condo in the low 60's per night.

We started staying at deluxe resorts because we had small children/strollers etc. Now we are in love with them. I tried staying at the ASmu a couple of years ago for just a couple nights. Hated it but it could just have been some of the other people that were staying there. It will be 4-5 years before we can afford to stay at a deluxe again so would you consider staying at a value if that was the only way you could go? it would cost about half for us(family of 6). I am so afraid that I would get there and just hate it and wish I was at another resort. Would you take that chance? After all it still would be disney.

I have rented points 3 times and never paid more than $100 a night for a room (a studio). Plus, they were all somewhat last minute trips (30 days or less). I LOVE the spread out quieter resorts. We have stayed at Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, and Animal Kingdom- Jambo. Shoot, the one trip I planned 3 days before we left Thanksgiving week! I have never had a problem. I would love to stay at the Poly but its double the cost of renting points and staying at an equally nice deluxe villa.
I don't know if I would stay at a Value, probably less but I would change my expectations. Not necessarily lower them, just change them. I need peace and quiet after being in crowds for so long, and with the exception of AKL (and it was Thanksgiving week when we were there), they were so nice and quiet. We don't spend a ton of time at our resorts, usually an afternoon break and one or two earlier evenings at the pool, but I still like the quietness and having a balcony. I do plan on buying DVC in the next year or two after I finish my M.Ed. and Ed.S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter