• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you have an ipad or ipad mini

JanaDee

DIS Veteran
What made you chose the ipad over the mini or vice versa?

I want to purchase an ipad to replace my aging netbook, but I am not sure which one to get. It will be wi fi only and be used for internet and email.

Hi there, we have both! I vastly prefer the mini. Though it does have less storage space, I can easily say it has not been a problem. I find the mini far lighter and more pleasant to use for reading. Just my 2 cents!

I have both. I had the Ipad first and loved it, then I got the mini for traveling. I love the mini since it easily fits into my purse.

Another mini owner. My previous tablet was a 7 inch Samsung. Before that I had a first generation nook. The size works better for me as a public transportation commuter. Easy to pop it into my bag.

Hi there, we have both! I vastly prefer the mini. Though it does have less storage space, I can easily say it has not been a problem. I find the mini far lighter and more pleasant to use for reading. Just my 2 cents!

Do you find the mini easier to hold?

What made you chose the ipad over the mini or vice versa?

I want to purchase an ipad to replace my aging netbook, but I am not sure which one to get. It will be wi fi only and be used for internet and email.

The Ipad Mini wasn't on the market when I purchased my IPAD. I have seen the mini and played with it but I prefer the size screen for the IPAD for what I use it for. I think it would depend on what you want it for, if you watch a lot of video's (I do on airline flights) I prefer the larger screen. I also need to make the type large to read any books and with the larger screen more fits on the page.

The Ipad Mini wasn't on the market when I purchased my IPAD. I have seen the mini and played with it but I prefer the size screen for the IPAD for what I use it for. I think it would depend on what you want it for, if you watch a lot of video's (I do on airline flights) I prefer the larger screen. I also need to make the type large to read any books and with the larger screen more fits on the page.

It won't be used for videos or reading books.

i have both and I prefer the mini to take on trips. It fits easily in my purse. At home I use a laptop, so the iPad only gets used on trips. I think the screen size is fine for watching movies and surfing the net.

i have both and I prefer the mini to take on trips. It fits easily in my purse. At home I use a laptop, so the iPad only gets used on trips. I think the screen size is fine for watching movies and surfing the net.

I just bought a new Michael Kors purse and the mini won't fit in it. But there is no way I'm giving up that new purse! :rotfl:

Quote by Disneylover99: I have both. I had the Ipad first and loved it, then I got the mini for traveling. I love the mini since it easily fits into my purse.

Question: The DIS boards are so small on my iPad I can barely read posts without expanding the sections and having to scroll back and forth (on-line only, I don't use the app). How small is it on the mini? (Sorry I messed up quoting your post.)

We won an iPad 3 and used it for about 2 months and sold it off and replaced it with an ASUS android tablet. We did not care for the iPad or iOS at all. We now have 2 Blackberry Playbooks and a few android tablets. I would look at something other than an iPad for the money you spend. Not to mention the ASUS and other android tablets will allow you to use exandable memory via Micro SD cards to load movies or music etc on if the kids want to use it for that while in the car etc.

http://eee.asus.com/en/asus-memo-pad-10

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...fier=2&langId=-1&ddkey=http:StaplesZipCodeAdd

We won an iPad 3 and used it for about 2 months and sold it off and replaced it with an ASUS android tablet. We did not care for the iPad or iOS at all. We now have 2 Blackberry Playbooks and a few android tablets. I would look at something other than an iPad for the money you spend. Not to mention the ASUS and other android tablets will allow you to use exandable memory via Micro SD cards to load movies or music etc on if the kids want to use it for that while in the car etc.

http://eee.asus.com/en/asus-memo-pad-10

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...fier=2&langId=-1&ddkey=http:StaplesZipCodeAdd

I'm only interested in an ipad. :)

The current generation Mini comes in the same storage capacities (16/32/64/128 GB) as the iPad Air. Every equivalent version of the iPad Air is $100 more than the Mini at US prices.

And yeah - even though I have big hands, I like the Mini. My parents have the previous generation iPad (4 I think) and that thing just feels huge. We mostly got the Mini for our kid, and I think the full-size iPad Air is just too big in that case.

The current generation iPad Mini is almost as powerful as the latest iPad Air. I heard the main reason for the slight decrease in processor clock speed was to reduce heat and increase battery life (it's got a smaller battery).

When the first iPad Mini came out, they really dumbed it down with a considerably less powerful processor than the regular iPad - an older generation A5 compared to the regular iPad's A6X. The cost was also lower though. In electronics they call this "Nerfing" such that a company can put out something smaller and/or cheaper, but take away some performance or features to make it less desirable. The reference is to soft Nerf toys that aren't likely to cause damage - in this case to the desirability of the more expensive product that the manufacturer is hoping to sell.

I'm only interested in an ipad. :)

Can I ask why iPad only? I wonder because there are so many more and better options out there. Not to mention much more cost effective options.

Can I ask why iPad only? I wonder because there are so many more and better options out there. Not to mention much more cost effective options.

The OP wants an iPad. I don't give anyone the third degree over a personal choice. It's just a piece of equipment, and not a terribly expensive one for many families. Apple makes a great product and one with a huge infrastructure in terms of support and apps.

My wife has an ASUS netbook. She doesn't use it any more even though it technically still works. Even after I got her a large i5 laptop, she still ends up using my computer (a Mac) a lot. I prefer the Apple environment and apparently so does my wife. She ended up getting a Samsung phone too - and she's constantly complaining to me about how much of a pain it is.

I did help her with that phone by adding a 32 GB micro-SD card to it. I thought it was a good idea. However, ever once in a while it says that it doesn't recognize the card as formatted and asks if the user wants to format it. My wife panicked once because she couldn't find the photos she thought were on that card. She had me look at it, and I simply powered it down and back up. However, I'm wondering how many people have accidentally wiped their files because they didn't know what to do.

I have the mini, bc I feel the ipad is just much to large for me. It's just cumbersome to hold, and too large for my lap. I will say I find typing to be a bit difficult, but I don't think the regular ipad would be any better.

The OP wants an iPad. I don't give anyone the third degree over a personal choice. It's just a piece of equipment, and not a terribly expensive one for many families. Apple makes a great product and one with a huge infrastructure in terms of support and apps.

My wife has an ASUS netbook. She doesn't use it any more even though it technically still works. Even after I got her a large i5 laptop, she still ends up using my computer (a Mac) a lot. I prefer the Apple environment and apparently so does my wife. She ended up getting a Samsung phone too - and she's constantly complaining to me about how much of a pain it is.

I did help her with that phone by adding a 32 GB micro-SD card to it. I thought it was a good idea. However, ever once in a while it says that it doesn't recognize the card as formatted and asks if the user wants to format it. My wife panicked once because she couldn't find the photos she thought were on that card. She had me look at it, and I simply powered it down and back up. However, I'm wondering how many people have accidentally wiped their files because they didn't know what to do.

|The issue with the phone is actually due more to the bloatware added in by Samsung my mother has the Note 2 and goes through the same issue. I have since rooted her phone for her and set it up with a fresh load of android as it is run on the LG Nexus 4 and 5 phones, it runs so much smoother and the battery life has been extended due to it not having all the Samsung trash running in the background. I am a Blackberry fan I love the security of the OS and the new OS10 is stellar super fast best browser experiance of any mobile device. I have used every OS available on a mobile device and keep going back to the BB OS. I have found iOS to be very rudamentary and not all that intuative. No toast notifications failure to adopt NFC technology among other things.

I had an original iPad and now have the mini. I like the mini better because it is (for me at least) easier to handle. The mini just seems to be the right size. It is also cheaper, which I like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter