If you have a cleaning service, should you leave a tip for the crew/person doing the cleaning??

kathy884

DIS Veteran
I just changed cleaning services. Previously I had a private person clean my home. With the old private person, all I ever did was pay the normal amount, and at Christmas time, I'd leave a Christmas card with a thank you note with cash pretty close to the amount of one cleaning.

Now I have one of those bonded / insured franchise cleaning services. It's one called Molly Maid. I just have them come once a month, they do a great job (very thorough), and they charge me $118 each time. I know the person cleaning my house doesn't own the franchise or anything, and the service may even have a different person come each time. I've had the service clean house twice, and all I did was leave the check for the payment amount that they told me before I started the service. I know there is a supervisor too that does an inspection of each cleaning.

Is it in this situation customary to leave a tip for the person doing the cleaning? And if so, what is typical? I didn't do this, as I indicated before. Hate to be short changing hard working people who do a good job just because I don't know proper etiquette. // I don't want to be overpaying either if tipping is not customary.

I could call the office and ask I suppose (I'll probably do that vs. just asking on this forum too). (I know to leave tips for a maid at a hotel $5 room, $10 suite, give tips for taxi, hair cut person, dog grooming person (10 to 15%), 10% at a buffet, 15 - 20 % at service restaurant), $2 for valet, $1 or #2 at those included self serve hotel breakfasts when staff clean the table, tip for tour guides and bus drivers on vacation, $1 for airport bus drivers as a thank you, etc. but I have no clue if tipping is also customary for a cleaning service. (A friend of mine mentioned that a different cleaning service that she just started had told her about tipping being customary, so that's the reason all of a sudden for my asking about this).

I'll also in case anyone is interested will leave a follow-up post after I call the franchise office for the cleaning service and let you know what they say.

Last edited:
You certainly can leave a tip if you choose to do so. I would leave cash for them.

I have a cleaning service twice a month. I do not leave a tip, but I don't tip the lawn service or pool service either. At Christmas I will give them a card with some money.

Most people don't tip - it's not required. I would tip if I made any special requests.

I have a similar arrangement and I don't tip. I send a check into the owners around Christmas and they split the money between the various people who have cleaned my house.

My DM has one of those services as well, and while she doesn't tip when they are there, she tries to always have a cold drink for them (and has learned from having the same ladies over and over what they prefer). Since they're coming today, right before the 4th, she got them some patriotic cookies from the bakery next door as well, for a treat. She says they work VERY hard, and she just wants to make the rest of their day a little brighter :).

Terri

I belong to a facebook yardsale page for my area, and a girl that works for a cleaning agency will advertise every so often and it always says at the bottom of the page to please remember to tip for a job well done.

I remembered it because I never had thought to do it.

We only tip when we make special requests or something unusual takes place causing them additional work.

I have a person come to my house every other week and she just gets paid what she charges and at Christmas we usually give her another week as a gift. We have a service at my office, they come once a week, same crew every week with a supervisor who walks through each time and checks everything. We don't tip them but at Christmas I usually give them something from me and not the company. They actually leave little bag of candy every time they come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter