If you had to give up a Deluxe - Which Moderate would you stay at ?

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
Due to financial problems - we may have to give up our Deluxe resort.

We have never stayed at a moderate - they do seem nice though.

Which one would you stay at ?
We would like to stay on WDW property and not go off site.
We like the refigerators in the moderate resorts.

CSR is totally booked for end of June (would have been our first choice)
CB seems a bit too spread out and confusing for us.

POR or POFQ, which should we do ? :confused3

POFQ gets the buses first, correct ?
But which has the better pool for teens ?

POFQ only has water/pool view rooms available for our days at WDW.
Are the water/pool view rooms worth it at POFQ ?

We have 2 teens and are AP holders - but no AP rates for end of June out yet.
We would bring an AERO bed for one of the teens (DS & DD).
We will also have a DDE card.

Thanks for all your help !

FQ. All the way. Small quaint resort with great landscaping and theme.

Honestly between them all it would be CSR or FQ but since CSR is booked I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go with FQ.

Waterview rooms at any of the moderate resorts aren't exactly the greatest. I say that because you don't have a balcony and would have to sit outside in the walkway to have the view, or keep your curtains open and sit at the table but all passerby's could see in your room.

We actually had a waterview room when we stayed at FQ and while it was nice, we didn't actually take advantage of the view for those reasons.

But FQ is very nice.

I have stayed at Port Orleans Dixie Landings. I thought it was quite nice for a moderate resort and there was a nice fridge in the room. We stayed on the what they call "mansion side" which is what I would suggest, unless you like the old woodies look. It is true that the French Quarter gets the bus first but we really didn't find that a problem. I would stay at Port Orleans again.

I just like the theming of POR better than POFQ.

I'm trying a mod for the first time in July. We've always stayed at deluxes also but I have to say I really liked the looks of POR, CBR and CSR. Originally I wanted to go with CBR ( liked the island feel) but in-laws wanted POR and they haven't been in twenty years, whereas we go once or twice a year, so I felt it was only fair to let them decide. One day I would like to try both CBR and CSR.

I think the biggest difference is in what theming appeals to you.

Absolutely, positively....CBR!!!!!! :banana:

I've stayed at CSR and CBR. I would've chosen CSR first then CBR. Hey no matter what you chose, you are on Disney property. Hooray!!!

Both Riverside and French Quarters are our favorite moderate resorts. They both share a killer boat ride to downtown disney (especially at night). The main difference for us is Riverside is the only one that has a sit down restaurant (the wife has to have her breakfast). If you go that route Alligator Bayou is our favorite section. It's quiet with quaint walkways. Also, the Alligator Bayou section has just been referbished and everything is new.
Have a great trip,

If I couldn't stay deluxe my first choice would be POFQ. Second choice would be Pop Century. Third choice would be CBR. Fourth choice would be CSR. Fifth choice would be POR. Last choice All Stars.

Good luck making a decision! :)

CBR! Our stay there was magical and I sent my sister and her family there last year and they absolutely loved it. Great theming and not confusing at all. We loved the surrey bikes. When you know something is good, it is hard to take a risk on something else. :banana:

So far, I've only stayed at CBR and we LOVE it but I'd really like to try POR. From the pictures, it looks beautiful. Maybe those discount codes will come back someday and I can. Until then, its the values for us!

POFQ all the way. Great manageable size, good theming and nice boat ride to DTD.

I agree with the poster above, Jules76126. If I had to choose...it would be POR, Mansions...specifically OAK MANOR, which is centrally located and a two-minute walk or less to everything on property. We have stayed there on several occasions when DD was younger (it's a fabulous resort for children). :yay: We have some great memories from this place. We could actually see a nightly fireworks show from the balcony just outside of our room. We believe this was the MAGIC KINGDOM. :wizard:

The food court (Riverside Mill) is also undeniably one of the best on property, with a VAST variety to select from (the hot wings are outrageously good). Boatright’s Dining Hall has some of the best prime rib (bone-in cut) offered on property. The pizza delivery is also amazingly fresh and hot (and good!). :thumbsup2 Fulton’s general store is a fabulous and fun gift shop...and the entire place is warm and welcoming.

Not only do they have a great main pool (awesome playground and slide), they also have QUIET pools all over the property (one @ Oak Manor is lovely, with giant stately white pergola's and lush plants all over the place). There are seven swimming pools in all. The convenient laundromat is right here on property overlooking the pool!

There is a fabulous arcade for kids (the Medicine show, second only to the CR), and even a children's fishing hole for them. I love the Sassagoula express boat transport to DTD, or even just next door to the FQ to swim in the big Dragon pool! Yes, guests from both properties are permitted to pool-hop and/or dine and use the facilities of both resorts. The rooms on average (340 SF) are larger than most Mod resort rooms, and the price of the room at this resort includes a fridge and trundle bed (if needed/requested).

They offer everything from boating to cycling, and some other fun things which are not offered at the deluxe properties. DD always enjoyed displaying her "grotto" (stuffed animals won in the arcade, as well as those purchased in the parks) in the windows for guests passing by to see! She would arrange them inside the closed curtain, like a little shop-owner! People would stop to "ohh and ahh" and make comments. We could always hear them inside, and DD delighted in this pastime *(she was only about 4-6).

The housekeepers also arranged her animals in "scenes" where some were hanging off the lamps over her bed, others were READING books on the bed, and some were making a mess (scattered paper around the corner of the bed-cover..and the animals with the paper in their paws!). We took photos to remember all this fun. These mousekeepers were all warm, friendly and always left some fun towel animals in the room as well. ;) Part of each day's excitement included returning to the room to see what "surprise" the housekeeper's had left for her!" Even in the Deluxe resorts, we have never had the same consistent treatment by mousekeeping.

They also offer a horse/carriage ride in the evenings, with/without champagne and goodies. This is so reminiscent of the old south, as is the entire property (which in the Mansion area seems to scream "Southern" Antebellum's)! The Spanish moss draped softly from the trees at dusk, as they reach over the amber-colored water is absolutely breath-taking. The boat master will explain the water is colored DARK and MURKY due to the release of tannins from the roots of the famous mangrove trees which dot the entire river landscape.

The "bus depot area" near the mansions (and all over this property) is one of the nicest on property. It's fully covered (for rain/hot sun), with ample bench and other seating available. There are also COOL refreshing water fountains to drink from. I've never understood why some of the nicest deluxe properties had the worst bus stop areas?!? You really can't go wrong with any of the mansions in this property. Birnbaum's always touted the old Dixie Landings as a "DELUXE" resort at a MODERATE price. That about sums it up for us as well. :goodvibes As much as we LOVE the Deluxe properties, there is something about POR/DIXIE which always seems to continually tug at our heart. Sometime we will have to return for an eve/two, for sentimental reasons!

Enjoy your time together with your family, irregardless of WHERE you stay! :goodvibes :grouphug:

TTFN...DF99 :wave2: :banana: :sunny:

POR was my favorite moderate for years until we finally did POFQ this last trip. Both are quiet and relaxing, but I loved that POFQ was small without feeling crowded. Also loved the decor and the grounds.

One thing I never see mentioned and surprised me when we were there (might have been mentioned here but haven't read all POFQ threads over the years) is that at MK at the end of the night they run two separate buslines for the POR and POFQ. There were literaly 3-4 times as many people in the POR line as our POFQ and they were stuffing them in til they couldn't fit another body. Our bus pulled up and everyone in line got on (including people who didn't want to wait in the other and decided to bus ot POFQ and walk to POR) and only a few people had to stand. We only did 2 parks that trip, so I don't know if they do it at others.

I would choose FOFQ. Seems like it would be very easy to get around there.

POR no doubt if you can't get CSR (but I would keep trying - it's my teens favorite resort).

All the amenities are at POR, at FQ you would have to travel over. Plus even when my kids were 7-10 they wouldn't even consider going to the FQ "baby" pool as they called it. Adorable theme - for the very young.

My kids, now teens, would flip out (not in a good way) if I told them we were going to FQ.

Thank you to all who have responded.
What we will do:

1) keep calling and see if there is a cancellation at CSR. Never know - if AP rates come out maybe a CSR guest could afford a deluxe and we can snag the CSR room :goodvibes

2) We will book POR - since the POFQ pool has been rated better for younger kids. I will also ask for a mansion room. I will let the room controller CM pick which one for us.

The magic :wizard: of Disney will still be with us at a moderate.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help pooh:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter