If you had to cruise on another line.....

seafarer71

Earning My Ears
My family (Myself, wife, 2 boys ages 2 and 4) cruised with Disney last April, and are doing so again in December. I am considering cruising with another line next April (prices are so great, waaaay cheaper than Disney). My wife and I cruised with Princess, Royal Carribean, and Carnival prior to having kids, but only Disney since. Therefore I'm not familiar with the "family" cruise experience on the other lines.

Admitting that Disney is all of our first choice, what would your second choice be, and why?

You can't beat Camp Carnival for the 2-5 age group. We just sailed on the Splendor with our 3 year old DS and felt that Camp Carnival was superior to DCL for this age group. My son never wanted to leave. Carnival's cabins are also larger than other cruiselines and they have fold down sofa beds in their OV and higher categories. We would have to book a mini suite on Princess to get this. The food on Carnival was also better than DCL IMO. The ships themselves are not as refined as DCL and the entertainment is pretty cheesy at times, but overall a good family cruising experience.

The reason Disney is expensive in April is that the Magic will be going to Europe. Basic supply and demand dictates prices...so they are high while DCL waits for the Wonder to book.

First, I'd suggest that you wait a while and see what prices do for 2010. We really can't know whether prices will come down, specials will be offered, etc. It just depends on how fast the ships are booking up.

Secondly, NO other line will compare to DCL at the ages of your kids. At an older level, RCI is the most comparable. RCI has more "flashy" activities like a rock wall and skating rink, but they don't have the characters or the Disney touches...or the Disney shows. In addition, more of their items carry an additional charge--there is a "soda card" rather than free sodas, eating at Johnny Rocket's (an on line hamburger chain with an outlet on the ship) has a surcharge, etc.

I, too, am looking at another line for next summer. I have been researching RCI. I think my DGD 7 would like the rock wall and mini golf. But I have been reading about the horrible lines! Did you do these types of activities when you cruised? Is it that bad? We can do without soda but I would pay extra for Johnny Rockets if it was a good burger - I have read conflicting reports. If we pay extra for a special meal at Palo for us adults, why wouldn't we pay extra for a special meal for our kids? Are there any other extra expenses? I'm sure that cruising anywhere is better than being at work but I'd just like to be prepared and know what to expect.

The reason Disney is expensive in April is that the Magic will be going to Europe. Basic supply and demand dictates prices...so they are high while DCL waits for the Wonder to book.

DCL would be high in April 2010, even if the Magic stayed in FL, because of Easter and spring breaks. 2009 was the exception with some great rates for the late April cruises.

I have never cruised with young kids, so I can't help you with kids' club activities. I know that my teenage son really liked Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas (Voyager class).

Carnival Dream will be sailing from Port Canaveral in 2010, so check their prices for next April.

I'd rather not be held hostage by Disney and wait to see if their prices drop. There are so many other great deals, I'd be worried that if I waited, the other deals would diappear. My plan is to put a deposit on someting else, and wait to see if something better comes along before final payment is due and while I could still cancel without penalty. If Disney's prices fall by then, I can always jump ship (pun intended) back to Disney.

I'd rather not be held hostage by Disney and wait to see if their prices drop. There are so many other great deals, I'd be worried that if I waited, the other deals would diappear. My plan is to put a deposit on someting else, and wait to see if something better comes along before final payment is due and while I could still cancel without penalty. If Disney's prices fall by then, I can always jump ship (pun intended) back to Disney.

Good plan!

We have sailed RCI twice and have another cruise booked with them for next May. We have really enjoyed both cruises with them. We had only sailed Disney up until 2007 when we had a family memeber that could not afford the difference in two sailings Disney vs RCI, so we decided to "jump ship" to try the Mariner, then sailing out of Port Canveral.

We were happy we did it and then booked the Liberty for 2008. We are back on Disney this year, but we are sailing Alaska next Spring and obviously we couldn't choose Disney for that.

Both cruise lines have things that they do better than the other. IMO.

Kelly

Holland American, without question. They have very good kids clubs, and service on par, if not better than Disney.

We are cruising on RC next April doing an eastern cruise. The original
plan had been to do this on Disney but they aren't doing any easterns
at that time. I'm actually kind of glad things worked out the way they
did and we will be trying RC. I've only been on 1 Disney cruise and have
not been on many, many cruises as many others on this board have been
so I'm not "jaded" by Disney or any other line for that matter. We are getting
a bigger room than I was getting on Disney so I can't wait to try it! As far
as paying for the soda card or what not, on the disney, it's just paid for
already is how I look at it. We'll have 12 in our party on the cruise,
great food, awesome ship, beautiful ocean....how can it not be fun!!!!:woohoo:

Hey tvguy would you say Holland America is a little less expensive than DCL

A lot less expensive that Disney, and more expensive than NCL America. About half way in between actually.

Hey tvguy would you say Holland America is a little less expensive than DCL

A lot less expensive that Disney, and more expensive than NCL America. About half way in between actually.
We like DCL, but wanted some different ports. So earlier this year we sailed on Holland America, and ended up getting a veranda suite for the around the cost of a Cat. 9 on Disney.

Woody

We like DCL, but wanted some different ports. So earlier this year we sailed on Holland America, and ended up getting a veranda suite for the around the cost of a Cat. 9 on Disney.

Woody

did you have any kids with you? if so, what ages and how did they like the kids clubs on hal?

We've only cruised Disney so far and we don't have kids. We just booked a 7-night Mediterranean cruise with Royal Caribbean for November. It's less than $2,000 for 2 adults in a balcony room. The DCL 7-night Mediterranean is $7,000 for Cat. 6. We'll see how it goes. I know not to get my hopes up because DCL spoils us. :)

Our family is about to go off on our first non-Disney cruise after 10 cruises on Magic and Wonder. We leave on NCL's Pearl to Alaska from Seattle June 28 in a balcony stateroom. This includes the fourth of July holiday (though we'll be in Victoria, Canada, that day!) We paid $4000 for the four of us, way less than our next 4 day Wonder cruise in July 2010 in a cat 6. Luckily there's no chance of running into a Disney ship at any Alaskan port this year. I don't know if I could endure that. Although we know there will be differences, this trip is all about the beauty of Alaska and not so much about the ship. I'll be interested to see how my two teens compare the cruise lines. Me, I'm just happy to be going to Alaska!

Although we know there will be differences, this trip is all about the beauty of Alaska and not so much about the ship...Me, I'm just happy to be going to Alaska!

I'm with you on this one. I might be the only one here who feels this way, but for me, the decision to choose DCL comes down to value. And for me, DCL gives me the greatest all-around value and so I will continue to pay the premium rates for me to continue to receive the greatest value for my dollar. There would be only one exception I'd make on that and it would be for an Alaska cruise. If I do decide on one soon, I have no choice. But I keep thinking that if I hold off a bit, DCL will make a trip to Alaska and I'll be able to do that.

I realize my post above didn't exactly answer the OP's question, so I better do so to stay on topic. If I could choose another line who would it be and why? It would be RCCL simply on the basis that RIGHT NOW they go to Alaska and DCL doesn't. :love:

Our family is about to go off on our first non-Disney cruise after 10 cruises on Magic and Wonder. We leave on NCL's Pearl to Alaska from Seattle June 28 in a balcony stateroom.
We just went to Alaska on another cruise line and had a fabulous time. Lots of history, wildlife, glaciers, and beautiful scenery.

If your cruise stops at Skagway, I highly recommend a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railway. It was spectacular.

Woody

Our family is about to go off on our first non-Disney cruise after 10 cruises on Magic and Wonder. We leave on NCL's Pearl to Alaska from Seattle June 28 in a balcony stateroom. This includes the fourth of July holiday (though we'll be in Victoria, Canada, that day!) We paid $4000 for the four of us, way less than our next 4 day Wonder cruise in July 2010 in a cat 6. Luckily there's no chance of running into a Disney ship at any Alaskan port this year. I don't know if I could endure that. Although we know there will be differences, this trip is all about the beauty of Alaska and not so much about the ship. I'll be interested to see how my two teens compare the cruise lines. Me, I'm just happy to be going to Alaska!

Denise i just have 2 words for you "I'M JEALOUS"

I feel very fortunate to be able to go on a vacation at all...luckily we paid for this cruise months and months ago. My long-term contractor job is ending in July and I have to be looking for another position in this wasteland economy.
Of course, what I really want to be is a travel writer! Luckily we own DVC, so with cheap Southwest fares and our annual passes we can still keep traveling to Disney relatively inexpensively for a while until things turn around. So no complaints here. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter