If You Find Money....

ctinct

DIS Veteran
Today I found a rather substantial amount of money on the floor of CVS- $200. Of course I turned it into the cashier, who merely put it by the side of her register. Once I got home, it occurred to me that she may not even have notified her mgr., and I wondered what would happen to the money if no one claimed it. I called the store and spoke to the mgr., and he said he didn't know what would become of the money if no one claimed it. I gave him my name and #, but I don't really expect to hear from him again. The best scenario would be for the person who lost it to claim it, but to be honest, even if the store tells me it was claimed, I'm not quite sure I will believe it. If this ever happens again, here is what I plan to do. I will tell the management that I have found a sum of money, and if anyone should happen to come looking for it, to please take down their name and phone number. I will then check back daily and if someone comes looking for it, I will call THEM and get the money back to them. (And btw, I have decided that if by chance I do get this money because it is not claimed, or if I find any other money for that matter, I will donate half to my favorite charity, Literacy Volunteers.)

I found a good bit of money at a fair once. We turned it into a state tropper who gave me a report number and all. It ended up being someone there to buy a horse for their kid.They sent me a nice thank you and a picture of the girl with the horse.
For being 17 or 18 at the time it was kool to get.

I found 100 at Wal_mart once...took it to the customer service and they laughed at me. I kept the cash, gave them my number and called back for two days to check, heard nothing. So,I kept it. I have found smaller sums, usually on the street or parking lot...how can you find the person who lost it then? I have a really hard time with these things...what is the right protocal?

A few months ago at TL one of the lifeguards found a billfold in the wave pool. When it was brought to Guest Relations we opened it up and found over $1,200 in cash in it. There was also a photo ID. We paged the person over the Park's PA system. When he came, he was not even aware he had lost the money; he though his wife had the billfold but it had been in his back pocket and knocked out by a wave.

I found $20 on Tom Sawyer's Island.. in the bathroom of that Fort area.

After I found it, my son and I played checkers for about an hour.. no one went to the bathroom to look for it. So, I decided to just keep it. It wasn't that large of a sum of money, and at a place like Disney, when I have less money than I thought I had... it's usually because I already spent it, and forgot about it.

A larger sum of money, and I would of turned it into guest services, or something.

I found $20 the other week at my doctor's office in a chair. The lady at the front knew who had been sitting there (an older gentleman) and she called him on the phone as I was leaving, she thanked me for turning it in. I never thought of keeping it, you never know who's watching..if ya know what I mean...

I've been on the "losing" end of this scenario before, and a good samaritan turned the money in - at Old Faithful Lodge at Yellowstone. I had dropped a $100 bill, and some kind person actually turned it in at the desk. I was so thrilled! It's not like losing that amount of money would have ruined the trip, but it sure would have spoiled my mood for awhile. So - if I were to find any, I'd definitely try to find a way to turn it in -whether with a manager, or leave my name and number as one poster suggested.

My DD found a wallet at a craft fair last year. It had 3 gift cards in it and 55.00. We took the wallet home and put an add in the paper saying we found a wallet in our town call to describe. I received over 20 calls from people saying it was their wallet. Finally a woman called and described the wallet perfectly. It was her grandson's and it was filled with all his birthday money and gift cards. My daughter was so excited about returning it that she wanted to leave school early to meet with her.

I used to be a manager at Meijer about 8 years ago and they were very strict about things like that for the employees. If they found money and didn't turn it in and loss prevention saw them they would be fired for theft, no matter what the amt was, if a guest turned in found money the employee was to turn it in to loss prevention immediately, but I can't remember what happened to it if no one claimed it.

The person who lost it will probably consider it gone, the way the world is today you can't count on honesty, although it's a nice surprise when it happens.

We found some money once at Disney World -- how in the world (no pun intended) would we ever find who it belonged to................

So we decided to donate it to a Florida school who had lost so much in the hurricane.

Really, I had no idea what else to do. We cuoldn't keep it -- it wasn't ours.

I found money ( good amounts) 3 times in a week. gave it back everytime.

Me and god had a talk about this since I was broke, with the understanding that I was keeping what I found after this. that was 3 yrs ago. Haven't found anything since.=D

I found money ( good amounts) 3 times in a week. gave it back everytime.

Me and god had a talk about this since I was broke, with the understanding that I was keeping what I found after this. that was 3 yrs ago. Haven't found anything since.=D

Too funny!

I found money as a child at a pharmacy and turned it in, think it was like $5 (alot to me at the time). They took my name and # and if it wasn't claimed in a week they returned it. No one ever claimed it!

I worked a grocery store, our policy was take the name and # of person that found it, after 30 days it was theirs if not claimed, that went for anything, jewelry, money, etc. I think alot the cashiers has no idea what to, but would usually call a manager over.

I've found various amounts of money, and usually try to find the owner - if it's on the sidewalk outside, I usually ask the three stores closest to where I found the money.

I feel bad for saying this, but I trust myself to get it back to the person more than other folks, so I would give my name to the folks at the store, and have them call me if someone comes to claim it.

I found 400.00 in a college library one day, i turned it in and we found the person whoo lost it,, they knew the amount and when they last had it so I was sure it was the right person but she barely thanked me! She was hyper but never really said thank you!! It really left a sour taste in my mouth.
She was saying I lost my money, I lost my money but never said thank-you.
PammyPoppins

One year I found two ladies handbags that were left in the shopping carts in the parking lots of two different stores. Both were left in the child seat, one at KMart and the other at Target. The one at Target I turned into customer service. The other one proved to be a problem since there were other stores in the shopping center and I did not know what store the person had been in. That handbag I ended up turning in at the township police department. I left my name and phone number and I received a call from an older lady who had lost the bag. She wanted to give me a reward but I refused. Later that week I received a lovely floral arrangement from her with a thank you note.
What amazes me to this day is how many people leave items in shopping carts in the parking lot. Besides the handbags, I have also found packages in carts at ToysRUs and Kohl's.

I work at The Home Depot and I find cell phones all the time. The best thing is most people have a number stored in there as "home". I call home and let them know where the phone is, and when they can pick it up. They usually come in and are so grateful. I even left my phone there once by accident and sure enough they called me.

It makes me wonder what happens also. I know in a perfect world it would be turned in to the proper people.
Maybe you should call CVS and tell them you lost money last night and see what they tell you. If they tell you that nothing was turned in I would call the manager or even corporate. If they tell you they have the money atleast you know it is being handled properly. Did all that make sense?

I think you did the correct thing, I truely believe in Karma and you will be rewarded eventually.

Deanna :bored: :cat:

Twice (in the distant past) I've found wallets -- both times with IDs. One was lying in the driveway of an apartment where I lived in college. The young man said he'd had it in his lap while driving, and he must've forgotten it when he stood up and exited the car. He was so thankful and offered me a reward. I can't remember the details of the other situation. Anyway, both times I was able to return it because of the ID.

I pick up coins off the floor at school all the time -- mostly pennies -- and I keep a little mental tab of my "bonus" for the week. Last week it was only .09, but some weeks it's over a dollar. I find girls' purses on a regular basis (at least one per week), and I automatically take them to the office so they can call the girls to pick them up. Usually they have ID but less than $10 in cash. Right this minute I have a pretty nice ring in my desk drawer, and I have a note on my board saying "Found a ring in this classroom -- please describe".

Once I found a $20 lying outside an ATM. I had no idea how to go about returning it (I was the only person there, so the previous customer was long-gone), so I kept it.

I try to be honest with things like this because it comes back to you -- good or bad. God taught me that lesson long ago, and I don't need a repeat. If I keep too much change at the store, or if the clerk misses an item and I don't say something . . . well, something will happen within days to take that money right back. I'll run over a nail and need a tire plug, or something -- and it'll always be just about the same amount of money. No, I don't want to repeat that lesson.

This lady remembered leaving her $$ at Wlamart. Our locla news just did the story on it.This one was a real shock to me. Go to www.wgrz.com and scroll the top stories (onthe left side) check out the Walmart link--it is unbelieveable. From now on I think I'd take the $$ to the police.

I have been on both sides of this....

The first time, I was out shopping for our schools biggest event of the year. I had both a large amount of cash, plus blank checks that had already been endorsed by our parish priest. I stopped by McD's and used the restroom. I ended up leaving my pocketbook in the stall. I never realized I didn't have it for about 2 hours. When I did realize it, I called McD's in tears. None of this money was mine. I was a wreck..The manager said it had been turned in. My first question was "Is there any money left in it"....He said "yes mam, theres alot of it in there" But, because there was so much money in it, they had turned it over to the police dept. When I got to the police dept. I had to do alittle explaining as to why I had so much cash, plus checks that weren't mine. Thank goodness I grew up in this town, so, there were officers that knew me, and knew I was honest. The woman that turned in the bag never gave her name, so, I wasn't able to thank her. I did call McD's corp. office to let them know how great their staff was. I got everything back.

That same year. It was Black Friday, and I found a purse in the shopping cart at KMart. Brought it to Customer Service to turn it in. The 2 girls working took it and said thanks and just put it under the counter and went on with what they were doing. After thinking about it for a minute, I went back. They had pulled it out and were going through it. I wasn't confortable with how they were handling it, so, I asked for them to call a manager. They were reluctant to do so but did. As the manager was looking for ID, the woman it belonged to came in looking for it. She was as greatfull as I was when I had mine returned. She stated that she too had a large amount of cash and was surprized it was still there. She was doing her Christmas shopping, and doesn't use credit cards. I told her that I never even thought to look in it, it's not mine. I'm glad I went back to the CS desk, because I truely believe the girls working at the desk would have taken the money. I'm happy I was able to return the favor.

I am a firm believer in "what goes around comes around", "you do good, you get good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter