If you don't like your meal and you are on the meal plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see one of the places you are going to is Raglan Road. Word of the wise, SKIP this if you are going with people with severe food allergies. We had an awful situation with my nephews at that place. Figured it was a fluke until someone else complained about the same thing with their nut allergic son! I'd stay far away from there with food allergies. Just my opinion.

Thank you for your warning. I hope everything turned out okay! We love to eat out, but it's very risky with food allergies.

WRT the chef mickey thing..
sorry but no the fact that the spoon rest wasn't immediately hosed down with bleach after having a dropped utensil placed in it doesn't squick me out. Floor germs?! seriously? my kitchen floor is worse than anything at WDW as IT only gets washed every 2 weeks by the hired help. and I have cats that plop allover it getting in my way as I cook. haven't died of botulism yet....

To each their own....but people have walked all over Disney (where people spit and everything else) and have been in Disney bathrooms (we all know what is on the floor in there). Totally would have grossed me out, too!! Off topic, I know!!

would have totally grossed me out too. And I think you would have been well within your rights to demand (I mean, ask nicely but forcefully) that the situation be corrected or be given your money or TS credits back. That having been said, it should surprise no one that kids are misusing utensils at Chef Mickey's on a regular basis. You just happened to see that particular time. Because of this, I avoid WDW buffets geared toward children ie; the character meals. I will go to Boma (maybe too adventurous for your group) and especially like Biergarten (the food has German names but is realy pretty straight forward).

IMHO I think your posts have been somewhat confusing as to exactly what your concerns are (aside from CM and that would be a problem to almost everyone). Perhaps if you told us what restaurants you like and which ones you've got ADRs for, we could be of more help.

would have totally grossed me out too. And I think you would have been well within your rights to demand (I mean, ask nicely but forcefully) that the situation be corrected or be given your money or TS credits back. That having been said, it should surprise no one that kids are misusing utensils at Chef Mickey's on a regular basis. You just happened to see that particular time. Because of this, I avoid WDW buffets geared toward children ie; the character meals. I will go to Boma (maybe too adventurous for your group) and especially like Biergarten (the food has German names but is realy pretty straight forward).

IMHO I think your posts have been somewhat confusing as to exactly what your concerns are (aside from CM and that would be a problem to almost everyone). Perhaps if you told us what restaurants you like and which ones you've got ADRs for, we could be of more help.

I suppose my posts can be confusing lol.

After getting many negative responses, I deliberately did not say all the places we have reservations for. We are not going to Chef Mickey's.:rotfl:

I've already been told not to go to WDW at all and that I am an unadventurous elitist snob with a bad attitude for wanting to take off sauces, not eat cartilage and eat meals which aren't being served by utensils from the floor lol. I'm sure listing all my ADR's would really bring out negative comments since I have already stated that they did not make our "favorite" list :). They are new to us, and they have a few standard options with more exotic sauces over them.

I just wanted to know if we could take the sauces off things to make them plain for the people who dislike certain foods and safer for the food allergic person. For example, a salmon filet with mushroom sauce. We would ask to have it without the sauce. We won't ask them to make an elaborate sauce for us to substitute it lol. We just want it plain. If some restaurants couldn't do that (some may have things pre-made or cooking in the sauce), we would have tried to find someplace on the DDP that could. From some of the responses, I anticipate that we will not have that problem.

As for the rare instances of poor quality, I wanted to know if we could receive a refund of our TS credit if we were unable to eat because the restaurant was not appropriately dealing with the situation. By appropriately, I mean bringing a new dish out if it has been contaminated by spoons from the floor, bringing a new dish out or allowing an alternative of equal value if poultry cutlet is mostly cartilage, and heating up a meat dish if it is cold or raw and was not ordered that way. I used the Chef Mickey incident to illustrate when we would consider complaining. People seemed to think that I was ordering dishes that I knew I wouldn't like and then sending them back and "demanding" refunds. An incident like Chef Mickey's or a situation where they don't want to replace a bad or raw piece of meat is when we would consider asking for a refund of our TS credit.

c3363,

It would have grossed me out as well. We are very picky eaters and we like what we like. That doesn't mean we complain a lot, we pick our battles and it sounds like you might too and were probably only getting on here to prepare for what you know might become issues due to past experiences, seeking others experiences so that you can avoid issues. I had BAD food when we were there in 2007, and we did not complain because it really wasn't worth the effort at that particular time, I was too exhausted to fight that battle...and sometimes I just don't want to ruin my whole family's meal by complaining. But sometimes, you just have to, especially if it is costing so much money. I feel that just because you're on the DDP plan it does not mean it hasn't cost anything! This year I'm paying out oop, and in 2007 we had free dining BUT we gave up a discounted room rate to do it. So either way, it is costing me money...why would I say "oh well, they should charge me if the food is bad...I owe it to them".

What I have noticed on these boards is that people will pick apart what you post. They are quick to twist everything around or misunderstand you and push their thoughts and opinions down your throat. In the end you are having to defend yourself and then start looking like the bad guy. I rarely ever post now and couldn't even read through all the posts on this particular thread because it just upsets me. I mean for heaven's sake, these are boards where people type out messages, they don't have time and some don't have the talent to post their life history or to explain everything out for all the readers. I feel that if you are not the op and you don't agree at all or don't understand a post or have nothing really helpful to say, well then don't comment at all. But...it seems the opposite, people just keep going and going on them. MOST often repeating what others have said, or keep posting even after the OP answered and clearly ended the conversation. I've read quite a few like this just today. It seems to have become the norm. Now I most often just do a search and look for answers as the enjoyment of communicating on here has absolutely bit the dust for me.

I'm sorry you've had to defend yourself on this thread. I would ignore those that look to argue, think they are smarter than everyone else, think because they will eat anything they are more sophisticated, those that use dirty utensils and who think Disney is perfect.

I really hope you have a great vacation and enjoy great food while you are there!!!

Sincerely,

Wen8jr

c3363,

It would have grossed me out as well. We are very picky eaters and we like what we like. That doesn't mean we complain a lot, we pick our battles and it sounds like you might too and were probably only getting on here to prepare for what you know might become issues due to past experiences, seeking others experiences so that you can avoid issues. I had BAD food when we were there in 2007, and we did not complain because it really wasn't worth the effort at that particular time, I was too exhausted to fight that battle...and sometimes I just don't want to ruin my whole family's meal by complaining. But sometimes, you just have to, especially if it is costing so much money. I feel that just because you're on the DDP plan it does not mean it hasn't cost anything! This year I'm paying out oop, and in 2007 we had free dining BUT we gave up a discounted room rate to do it. So either way, it is costing me money...why would I say "oh well, they should charge me if the food is bad...I owe it to them".

What I have noticed on these boards is that people will pick apart what you post. They are quick to twist everything around or misunderstand you and push their thoughts and opinions down your throat. In the end you are having to defend yourself and then start looking like the bad guy. I rarely ever post now and couldn't even read through all the posts on this particular thread because it just upsets me. I mean for heaven's sake, these are boards where people type out messages, they don't have time and some don't have the talent to post their life history or to explain everything out for all the readers. I feel that if you are not the op and you don't agree at all or don't understand a post or have nothing really helpful to say, well then don't comment at all. But...it seems the opposite, people just keep going and going on them. MOST often repeating what others have said, or keep posting even after the OP answered and clearly ended the conversation. I've read quite a few like this just today. It seems to have become the norm. Now I most often just do a search and look for answers as the enjoyment of communicating on here has absolutely bit the dust for me.

I'm sorry you've had to defend yourself on this thread. I would ignore those that look to argue, think they are smarter than everyone else, think because they will eat anything they are more sophisticated, those that use dirty utensils and who think Disney is perfect.

I really hope you have a great vacation and enjoy great food while you are there!!!

Sincerely,

Wen8jr

Thank you! I'm sure we will have a great time. I've also noticed that many people are attacked if they post anything with even an ounce of negativity toward Disney on here. However, it's worth it for me to post for the many respectful responses I received. Some don't agree with me and that's fine, but at least they respond respectfully. The personal attacks? I see no need to degrade others over food. :rotfl2:

The personal attacks? I see no need to degrade others over food. :rotfl2:

LOL, I agree!!! There is a lot of information to be gained on the boards and there are some very informative and nice people too (it was a life saver for my very 1st trip in 2007). Its just hard to get past all the muck for me at times. I'm glad you have a positive attitude!!! Again have a wonderful trip! :)

OP...I think I understand your concerns, and can see how that experience at CM turned you off.

BUT... that was one experience with the utensils, right? So...a) don't go back to CM's where parents let their kids run rampant at the buffet, and b) if you choose another buffet and you see a utensil that has been dropped...do yourselves and all the other diners a favor, and ask a CM to replace the utensil (and spoon rest, if necessary). That's not too hard and would be understood by any food service worker.

As for if you happen to get a bad piece of chicken (and mind you....if you keep getting gristly chicken at McD's...why go back/order it? Of course, McD's has cheap cuts of meat with heaven knows what in it).... that is another situation where the server would likely understand....it's not that you didn't like the dish...it's that you happened to get a lesser cut of meat, which is not a high likelihood anyway. Or....as in the case of maybe some fat around the edges of a steak....just eat around it.

You do seem like you are going into this expecting a bad experience, even though you said that you have had 95% good experiences in the past. I don't get that part. Sorry.

Maybe they should have a picky eaters restaurant instead of dumbing down the menus elsewhere for those that aren't picky.

:rotfl::rotfl:This thread reminds me of a trip I took to WDW several years ago. I had met a fellow DISer down there the year before, for a couple of meals and was totally embarrassed when she sent both meals back for one reason or another. I thought they were just isolated incidents though. A year later she was posting on the solo board and inviting other DISers to join her for all of her meals. When I noticed it was going to be a large group hanging out for meals and that I liked most of her ADRs, I decided to join in. Boy, was I sorry.:rolleyes1 I was the only one there who had met her before. We quickly found that her sending back the two meals I knew about the year before, were not isolated incidents. Every single meal, she switched out sides, had them leave off sauces, wanted items cooked differently than they are recommended, etc. Then every single meal she'd send her meal back with some complaint (not enough pumplin in the pumpkin ravioli, prime rib too rare, even though she ordered it rare, the different side she chose didn't 'compliment the dish well', she just thought the dish would taste different and really didn't care for it so wanted to order something else, etc). In other words she caused a scene every single meal both while she was ordering and then again after the meal arrived. She was paying OOP and every single meal she wanted something adjusted on her ticket, since there was always some item she hadn't liked. It got to be a joke. While we were waiting to enter a restaurant someone would wonder what she was going to send back that meal. Halfway through the week, we were looking for excuses to eat somewhere else (without her). If she hadn't been the one to make the ADRs and if we weren't such a large group, we would have.:rotfl: We were all embarrassed by her. She kept saying she was just a picky eater.:rolleyes1 I felt so sorry for our waiters. I know I tipped extra and a few others in our group said they did also, hoping to compensate the waiters for having to deal with her.

couple of final points.. in general

I honestly do not think your personal character has been attacked. your ACTIONS may have been. my biggest issue was with your comment about getting refunds due to not liking the taste. sorry but THAT is expecting way too much, is unrealistic and frankly, offensive to the chefs who have to please thousands of people a day and deal with allergies of a wide ranging scope.

Ironz: you do NOT wanna know the ingredient list on a bag of chicken Mc Nuggets or the original chicken patty. ( and if you ever see the Mc Rib again.. I can assure you there is no actual pig in it at all...) spent several years working for the Arch. the biscuits are safe. salads are too(if the fridge door gets properly shut at night..ask me how I know that)

allergies and contamination and sickness.. wanna know WHY our immune systems SUCK now? cus everything is bleached out after every use. anti bacterial hand sanitizer is used every 30 seconds. our bodies cannot build up immunities to anything as they are not allowed to be in contact. germs are GOOD for you.

WRT DP.. actually I am not sure if the OP has it free or is paying for it.. but regardless the advice still stands.. if you cannot use the credits, then what's the point of having them if you are still paying OOP someplace else to find a meal hell with Free dining i'd take the room discount in a heartbeat and use that savings to help cover the cost of meals.

yer right I just plain cannot swap my head around those people who refuse to eat sauces or spices or other added ingredients. food is meant to be enjoyed. i am sure you are just as flummoxed by me who lives for exotic foods and doesn't skirt from eating chopped up octopus tentacles in dough or skewered lizard and has no problems with normal everyday filth on a busy buffet restaurants floor. and for the record..I am severely immunocompromised due to my disease and the medications I must take to combat it. my doctor has only told me to be extra careful in public restrooms, that your average buffet restaurant is fine to serve yourself with the utensils provided.

there is such a thing as being too anal about standards. you cannot control everything.

MrsJVB, what actions are you judging? Since I have not sent anything back or asked for a refund? I don't want to eat with utensils from the floor. You said you don't mind. That's fine. You don't see me describing you with negative comments.

I still can't understand people that feel it's their right to comment on my choice of food. What is it to you if I choose to order my food plain?

I am not "fixated" on having a bad experience. However, I have received many negative comments, and I will respond to them and defend my position. Why should people be bullied off the boards every time they post something with any hint of negativity toward Disney? People read what they want and ignore everything else. I've said several times that we love Disney and we love eating out there with the exception of a few times. IF those situations happen to arise again on this trip, we may or may not ask for the food to be corrected so that we can eat the meal we paid for.

Do you think it's realistic that there has never been a meal served in Disney World which was improperly cooked, unsanitary or just plain gross? You can honestly say there has never been a case where a meal was worthy of bringing a new dish out or a refund?

MrsJVB, what actions are you judging? Since I have not sent anything back or asked for a refund? but you DID ask about doing so on the basis of taste only. THAT action.. yeah I protest .

[...]

Do you think it's realistic that there has never been a meal served in Disney World which was improperly cooked, unsanitary or just plain gross? You can honestly say there has never been a case where a meal was worthy of bringing a new dish out or a refund? never happened to either myself nor my husband in multiple trips. and I am quite sure the number of families.. with and without food allergies and/or 'picky' eaters can say the same exact thing FAR outnumber the isolated incidents that do occur.

One thing I will take from my experience at Mickey D's.. they were VERY anal about cleanliness and food quality( as far as one could be with preprocessed chicken like product). WDW makes mickey D's look like a greasy spoon you see on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares BEFORE he gets in there and browbeats them into submission.

you took ONE incident at a buffet and turned it into ..OMG will the entire trip be this horrid?! will there be cockroaches everywhere?! dirty silverware at the tables?! many others have stated more than once.. you seem to be LOOKING to find faults. you also seem to be peeved that your 'usual' standbys are unavailable so already you were gonna be disappointed.

have I had a bad meal at WDW? maybe. there have been times where what I ended up with either wasn't what I wanted or expected. so yeah, maybe for that second it was 'bad'. but was it worthy of sending back or demanding a refund? nope. I just got hungry again faster.. and ended up with a Dole Whip that much sooner.

One thing I will take from my experience at Mickey D's.. they were VERY anal about cleanliness and food quality( as far as one could be with preprocessed chicken like product). WDW makes mickey D's look like a greasy spoon you see on Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares BEFORE he gets in there and browbeats them into submission.

you took ONE incident at a buffet and turned it into ..OMG will the entire trip be this horrid?! will there be cockroaches everywhere?! dirty silverware at the tables?! many others have stated more than once.. you seem to be LOOKING to find faults. you also seem to be peeved that your 'usual' standbys are unavailable so already you were gonna be disappointed.

have I had a bad meal at WDW? maybe. there have been times where what I ended up with either wasn't what I wanted or expected. so yeah, maybe for that second it was 'bad'. but was it worthy of sending back or demanding a refund? nope. I just got hungry again faster.. and ended up with a Dole Whip that much sooner.

On the contrary, I asked a simple question with an example to illustrate an instance where I felt a refund would be necessary. I wasn't looking for people to attack my choice in food or tell me that restaurants need to be "dumbed down for me" etc. I feel as if some of the other posters take everything out of context. It's as if they just expect me to take on their opinion and not respond. I don't see why people feel the need to be hurtful over a difference of opinion about food!!

I've said many times that the taste is affected by the quality. Poor quality makes food taste bad. I didn't say I wanted to return food because the flavor was bad or I didn't like the experimental sauce.

Also, I love this theory that all I have to do is look for something or expect something and I will find it. I'm going to "look" for a million dollars later. Do you think it will happen? lol.

Thread's done, it's just an off-topic argument now, and the OP has been apprised that they can order their food plain and make contact with Special Diets and WDW Dining for their allergic guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter