If you couldnt afford a disney cruise , what would be your second choice cruise line

I've done a Caribbean cruise with Carnival and a Norwegian Cruise with RC. It seemed to me Carnival was geared more to the younger crowd. RC again for us starting in Rome at the beginning of September and finally our first Disney cruise (also starting in Rome) next year. We need something to entertain our (will be) three year old so I would assume Disney Magic is the ship for us. I was not at all happy with RC since they advertised a nursery and once we were on the ship, had no crew members certified to do it.

Are you flying to Rome before you cruise from Barcelona?

Excellent suggestion! We took the railroad from Seward to Anchorage when our HAL cruise ended, after spending the morning and afternoon in Seward. The railroad doesn't parallel the highway all the way - and the area where the paths diverge is especially lovely. The train to Seward leaves very early in the morning, so you would need to arrive in Anchorage at least the day before.

The road and train tracks parallel each other between Anchorage and Whittier, and it's also a very scenic route.

We were on that early (6:45 a.m.!) train to Seward before our Celebrity cruise. Luckily the rest of the trip was relaxing and the scenery was breathtaking. We had breakfast in the dining car with a couple of locals and by the time we were done, we had the rest of the ride to enjoy the scenery. The area between Whittier and Seward was amazing and then we got to enjoy Seward before boarding our ship, which didn't leave until 9 p.m.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward a Celebrity cruise in Alaska next year. Although, I am dying to see Sitka and that would mean either HAL or one of the luxury lines, which I'm not going to pay for. What did you think of HAL? It would just be me and DH (mid 40s) and possibly another couple. None of us are big night owls.

We were on that early (6:45 a.m.!) train to Seward before our Celebrity cruise. Luckily the rest of the trip was relaxing and the scenery was breathtaking. We had breakfast in the dining car with a couple of locals and by the time we were done, we had the rest of the ride to enjoy the scenery. The area between Whittier and Seward was amazing and then we got to enjoy Seward before boarding our ship, which didn't leave until 9 p.m.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward a Celebrity cruise in Alaska next year. Although, I am dying to see Sitka and that would mean either HAL or one of the luxury lines, which I'm not going to pay for. What did you think of HAL? It would just be me and DH (mid 40s) and possibly another couple. None of us are big night owls.

I really enjoyed HAL in Alaska, and loved the Amsterdam's 14-night roundtrip from Seattle that went as far north as Anchorage, plus Kodiak, Homer, as well as Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm. Unfortunately - 2012 is the last year that itinerary is offered. (**My northbound one-way was on the Veendam in 2008.)

The only way to see Sitka on HAL is on a roundtrip from Seattle. HAL Westerdam goes to Sitka and Glacier Bay in 2013: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-...voyageCode=W331&webItineraryIdForAudit=AE307S

I truly don't know. In March we're doing Carnival during Easter break since it's a Southern Caribbean itinerary & my mom is coming with us. We're also sailing the Fantasy next August. After that who knows? If I couldn't afford DCL and I just absolutely had to cruise I would sail with Carnival just for the different options and I like it. I've been dying to sail on Oasis/Allure of the Seas so that may be in our future.

I really enjoyed HAL in Alaska, and loved the Amsterdam's 14-night roundtrip from Seattle that went as far north as Anchorage, plus Kodiak, Homer, as well as Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm. Unfortunately - 2012 is the last year that itinerary is offered. (**My northbound one-way was on the Veendam in 2008.)

The only way to see Sitka on HAL is on a roundtrip from Seattle. HAL Westerdam goes to Sitka and Glacier Bay in 2013: http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-...voyageCode=W331&webItineraryIdForAudit=AE307S

Thanks for the info; that's too bad they are doing away with that itinerary because Kodiak and Homer would be great. I wonder why so few ships stop in Sitka. I just realized that unless you want to travel on Regent or Silversea, you give up Skagway to go to Sitka. I really liked Skagway. There is one Celebrity Century trip at the end of the 2013 Alaska season that hits both. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for the info; that's too bad they are doing away with that itinerary because Kodiak and Homer would be great. I wonder why so few ships stop in Sitka.
We've enjoyed our HAL cruise to Alaska.

Kodiak, Homer and Sitka are wonderful.

Woody

Thanks for the info; that's too bad they are doing away with that itinerary because Kodiak and Homer would be great. I wonder why so few ships stop in Sitka. I just realized that unless you want to travel on Regent or Silversea, you give up Skagway to go to Sitka. I really liked Skagway. There is one Celebrity Century trip at the end of the 2013 Alaska season that hits both. Decisions, decisions!

Both of my Princess ships went to Skagway, and both of my HAL ships went to Sitka. Before Celebrity and Royal Caribbean started visiting Icy Strait Point - they used to go to both Sitka and Skagway on their 7-night one-ways. I would love to visit both on the same cruise.

Are you looking at Century's 11-night Ultimate Alaska Cruise on September 15? Great itinerary! You just have to hope the weather isn't too bad that late in the season!

Both of my Princess ships went to Skagway, and both of my HAL ships went to Sitka. Before Celebrity and Royal Caribbean started visiting Icy Strait Point - they used to go to both Sitka and Skagway on their 7-night one-ways. I would love to visit both on the same cruise.

Are you looking at Century's 11-night Ultimate Alaska Cruise on September 15? Great itinerary! You just have to hope the weather isn't too bad that late in the season!

That's exactly the one I'm looking at. We went in September last time and as dumb as it sounds, I loved the weather. It was rainy and foggy most of the cruise and I thought it made Alaska seem sort of magical and mysterious. I could have done without the downpour in Juneau, but the steady drizzle the rest of the time didn't bother me. Plus, in September, there are NO kids on the ship. We only saw about ten all week. We loved the Millennium and my only concern about Century is its age. I do love smaller ships though so I'm sure it will be fine.

I figured Icy Strait Point was the culprit; everyone needs to skip that stop and go back to Sitka.

I've pondered the idea of taking the kids to Alaska but I think they would be bored. DCL is not the experience I want in Alaska and I'm sure my teenagers wouldn't think much of listening to a naturalist for entertainment.

I truly don't know. In March we're doing Carnival during Easter break since it's a Southern Caribbean itinerary & my mom is coming with us. We're also sailing the Fantasy next August. After that who knows? If I couldn't afford DCL and I just absolutely had to cruise I would sail with Carnival just for the different options and I like it. I've been dying to sail on Oasis/Allure of the Seas so that may be in our future.

When I read your post I assumed you were sailing on the Breeze but I just looked and realized that the Valor is sailing round trips out of San Juan and Barbados. Nice! Plus the Freedom is going out of Ft Lauderdale. Which are you taking? We were also considering doing a Carnival Southern Caribbean in March on the new Breeze.

We've enjoyed our HAL cruise to Alaska.

Kodiak, Homer and Sitka are wonderful.

Woody

I'm dying to go back to Alaska, what a beautiful place! I wish HAL were still doing that itinerary next year; I would prefer Kodiak and Homer over stops in Canada.

That's exactly the one I'm looking at. We went in September last time and as dumb as it sounds, I loved the weather. It was rainy and foggy most of the cruise and I thought it made Alaska seem sort of magical and mysterious. I could have done without the downpour in Juneau, but the steady drizzle the rest of the time didn't bother me. Plus, in September, there are NO kids on the ship. We only saw about ten all week. We loved the Millennium and my only concern about Century is its age. I do love smaller ships though so I'm sure it will be fine.

I figured Icy Strait Point was the culprit; everyone needs to skip that stop and go back to Sitka....

I kind of preferred Alaska when it was sunny! :teeth: It does rain a lot there, and one needs to be prepared with appropriate attire. I've been to Alaska in late May, early June, late July, and mid-August. I'd love to be there in September to see the fall colors.

I would prefer to go to Sitka over Icy Strait Point, yet the latter has fantastic whale watching. Hoonah is a sleepy little Alaskan town, and is much more the "real Alaska" than a town like Skagway.
ilovetexas said:
I'm dying to go back to Alaska, what a beautiful place! I wish HAL were still doing that itinerary next year; I would prefer Kodiak and Homer over stops in Canada.
The roundtrip cruises from Seattle have to stop in Canada, and that's why most choose Victoria for a few hours the last evening. The nice thing about my 14-night HAL cruise and the 11-night Century cruise is that Victoria (and Prince Rupert on the Century) gets a full day. Century doesn't need to stop in Canadian ports, since it's roundtrip from Vancouver, but the 2 Canadian ports on that itinerary are attractive to me.

I tried to think of how I could do the 11-night Century cruise plus a land trip and a southbound cruise that goes to Glacier Bay! Okay - I could fly to Anchorage for a one-week land trip, sail south from Seward on HAL (that stops in Haines instead of Skagway), then do the 11-night roundtrip on Century from Vancouver! :teeth: I think that almost-4-week trip will have to wait until 2014! Maybe HAL or Princess will bring back their 14-night cruises by then.

I tried to think of how I could do the 11-night Century cruise plus a land trip and a southbound cruise that goes to Glacier Bay! Okay - I could fly to Anchorage for a one-week land trip, sail south from Seward on HAL (that stops in Haines instead of Skagway), then do the 11-night roundtrip on Century from Vancouver! :teeth: I think that almost-4-week trip will have to wait until 2014! Maybe HAL or Princess will bring back their 14-night cruises by then.

When you get it all figured out, stick me in your suitcase so I can go, too!

Disney is our "home" cruise line, but we did Holland America in Alaska and loved it. The food was terrific and the rooms have so much more storage space and a better layout -- but you still can't beat the split bathrooms on Disney!

I miss sailing Disney, but just cannot afford them right now! We priced out another 7-day cruise on HAL for next year in Alaska and it is hundreds of dollars cheaper for a verandah than on Disney! Third passenger is only $157 on some sailings. Disney never has prices THAT low :confused3 [And the pricing I compared included port fees and taxes in both totals.]

When I read your post I assumed you were sailing on the Breeze but I just looked and realized that the Valor is sailing round trips out of San Juan and Barbados. Nice! Plus the Freedom is going out of Ft Lauderdale. Which are you taking? We were also considering doing a Carnival Southern Caribbean in March on the new Breeze.

We're looking into booking another HAL Alaska cruise for next year with a slightly different itinerary. We did the Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway this year. They have one next year to Tracy Arm, Sitka, Victoria, Ketchikan and Juneau -- three places we haven't been. :thumbsup2

i was also dying to sail on the oasis/allure and now i am!!

the dis is having a cruise on the Oasis in August 2013!
here's the link to the post on the disunplugged board (there's also a thread on this board):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2960286

the pricing isn't bad and i'll get to go on the oasis and also have a large group of disers plus the podcast team!!! can't think of anything more fun than that!!!!

Yes we're sailing on the Valor from San Juan on 3/24/2013. We're doing 2 days in San Juan pre-cruise so my mom is ecstatic. Shes originally from PR but hasn't been in 20 years.

i was also dying to sail on the oasis/allure and now i am!!

the dis is having a cruise on the Oasis in August 2013!
here's the link to the post on the disunplugged board (there's also a thread on this board):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2960286

the pricing isn't bad and at and i'll get to go on the oasis and also have a large group of disers plus the podcast team!!! can't think of anything more fun than that!!!!

I saw that but that cruise is at the same time as our Fantasy cruise next year. Oasis/Allure may be in our 2014 plans if we don't do DCL. We're already doing a southern California trip that year. If DCL had their pacific coast cruises during the summer I would combine it with our DLR trip.

Disney is our "home" cruise line, but we did Holland America in Alaska and loved it. The food was terrific and the rooms have so much more storage space and a better layout -- but you still can't beat the split bathrooms on Disney!

I miss sailing Disney, but just cannot afford them right now! We priced out another 7-day cruise on HAL for next year in Alaska and it is hundreds of dollars cheaper for a verandah than on Disney! Third passenger is only $157 on some sailings. Disney never has prices THAT low :confused3 [And the pricing I compared included port fees and taxes in both totals.]

DH loves DCL but he doesn't realize the cost difference. I just compared two Alaska cruises for next September, one on Celebrity and one on Disney.

Celebrity Century: 11 nights R/T out of Vancouver. Inside Passage, Sitka, Icy Strait Point, Skagway, Juneau, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Prince Rupert, Victoria. Verandah room for two $4858.

Disney Wonder: 7 nights R/T out of Vancouver. Tracy Arm, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and I assume Inside Passage to and from Vancouver. Verandah room for two $4512.

That makes DCL more than $100 per person, per day higher than Celebrity. For basically the same amount of money, I'd rather get four more cruise days and more ports; plus, I prefer Celebrity and I'm the one that plans the vacations!

(Just to compare same cruise days: HAL Statendam 7 nights R/T out of Vancouver. Inside Passage, Skagway, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan. Verandah room for two $ 3722. That makes them almost $57 per person, per day cheaper than DCL which may not be enough to sway people cruising with little kids but it would certainly convince me. That pays for shore excursions!)

DCl is out second choice. We have been on two NCL. Raises and had booked another for 2014 before booking our DCL cruise for 2013. We love NCL for freestyle, we are not a family who likes to be highly schedule-oriented while on vacation, as we have enough of that at home ;). In fact, I'm quite worried about having a set dining time on DCL! the NCL kids club has really impressed me. Sure they don't have the glitz and glam of Disney, but when a staff member tells me how cool a subtle detail is about my son on the second night...well, I'm impressed they took the time to talk to him, know him by name and found out something he doesn't share easily. Plus he begs to go back, all the time, and this is a kid who is usually attached to me at the hip! I actually think he will avoid the kids club area on Disney, just because he doesn't like big groups of children. Heck the whole school has 200 kids, and I'm fairly sure there will be more than that on our ship ;)
We are much more interested in itineraries than ships, and would never consider staying on the ship in port. DCL has very limited itineraries from North American ports, and even their Alaska itinerary is ho-hum. For Alaska, we are looking at RCCL, with the aforementioned train trip. Sounds very cool!

We are much more interested in itineraries than ships, and would never consider staying on the ship in port. DCL has very limited itineraries from North American ports, and even their Alaska itinerary is ho-hum. For Alaska, we are looking at RCCL, with the aforementioned train trip. Sounds very cool!

DD just was on the southbound itinerary on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas, going from seward, alaska to Vancouver...
she said the cruise was fantastic - the ship, the ports, the view, the service on board the ship, everything about the cruise..

she said it was the best cruise she's ever been on (it was her first non-DCL cruise)... she gave it two thumbs up plus the rest of her hands and feet!!!

and before the cruise, she and her husband did a week on their own in alaska...starting in fairbanks for 3 days, then taking the alaska railroad glassdome railcar to Denali for 2 days in Denali, then the alaska railroad glassdome railcar to Anchorage just to overnight, then the alaska railroad glassdome rail to seward for a day and a half (they overnighted in seward so that they had time to go to the sealife center when they arrived on the train and then to go to exit glacier in the morning before the cruise)

she said it was the trip of a lifetime....though of course, she's hoping to go back one day (when she wins the lottery)...

We went to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel this summer on the Carnival Magic (its second newest ship) and absolutely LOVED it!
The newer Carnival ships are really, really nice....with features that DCL hasn't yet thought of. We've cruised Carnival 4 times now (DCL 12, Princess 1, NCL 3) and have never found that "drunk party crowd" that people often talk about. The food was GREAT...so many choices.

Hope you enjoy your Southern Caribbean with them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter