• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you could live in any commonwealth country where would you live?

I'd stay right where I am - Canada. I also enjoy going to England too (I hold dual citizenship between Canada and England). If I had to pick however, definitely Canada.

DH is Canadian and we are all Duals ( at least according to Canada) so we could up and go if we wanted to.

We have 2 sets of friends who have moved to Australia and I like that idea a lot

I think I would have to pick New Zealand. It's the most beautiful place I have ever seen , and would love to be able to move there and spend the rest of my life in paradise!

I would say one of the tropical islands...maybe the Seychelles or Vanuatu...BUT, I'd have to research their critter population (mainly spider). I don't want huge spiders crawling in my house or scorpions or anything like that. I'd have to find a nice condo that is in a relatively critter free area.

I would go with New Zealand or Canada.

My dh loves New Zealand and took our 2 ds there in Jan.

Our friend lived in Tonga. Sometimes there is political unrest there. When they arrived there was a burning car at the airport etc. although it looks beautiful.

Our other friends lived in Kenya. They lived in the Rift Valley area. Their dd did get sick with brucelliosis though.

My cousin lived in Australia and South Africa for a while and liked them both.

So many to choose from for sure.

I'm Canadian and know LOTS of people who did the Commonwealth work-abroad thing after university. Most went to Australia or the UK - I worked in London for a couple years, personally. I also know a couple people who went to teach in Ghana, and one person who taught in Cameroon, and had excellent experiences.

I would love to visit South Africa one day, but I don't think I'd want to live there long term.

Right here where I am!:wave2:

Though I do hold dual citizenship with Great Britain so I could always settle there too..

Australia or New Zealand. Though a friend who lived in those places says it is really expensive. We tried for a work abroad with my husband's company but the program was suspended. We would have been in Australia for two years. Hoping they reinstate the program someday.

I'd stay right where I am - Canada. I also enjoy going to England too (I hold dual citizenship between Canada and England). If I had to pick however, definitely Canada.

This makes me cry. There's no such thing as English citizenship. It's British citizenship. :goodvibes

OP, why the Commonwealth in particular?

I'd stay in the UK. I just know I couldn't go to Australia - it's the land where all the terrifying animals decided to live!

I'd be more likely to move to another EU country though if I was going to move at all. I can live anywhere in the EU without (or with little) restriction I believe. But I have no plans to leave the UK as it stands.

OP, why the Commonwealth in particular?

I'd stay in the UK. I just know I couldn't go to Australia - it's the land where all the terrifying animals decided to live!

Sorry, but I just had to comment on this. Terrifying animals. I'm not sure where people get the misconceptions they have about Australia. Sure there are parts of the country that have some but they don't roam free in our backyards. Its a really big country. We would be 2000km from the nearest crocodile and even then you dont see them walking down the street in town. Its like me saying that I couldn't go to New York because there are aligators in Florida.
We live in a fairly rural area and might get the odd koala or kangaroo if we are lucky maybe once or twice a year. If we lived in town, we wouldn't even get that. To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen anything that might be considered remotely terrifying.

Sorry, but I just had to comment on this. Terrifying animals. I'm not sure where people get the misconceptions they have about Australia. Sure there are parts of the country that have some but they don't roam free in our backyards. Its a really big country. We would be 2000km from the nearest crocodile and even then you dont see them walking down the street in town. Its like me saying that I couldn't go to New York because there are aligators in Florida.
We live in a fairly rural area and might get the odd koala or kangaroo if we are lucky maybe once or twice a year. If we lived in town, we wouldn't even get that. To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen anything that might be considered remotely terrifying.

At least part of the perception comes from the hysterical Bill Bryson book, In a Sunburnt Country. His basic premise is that Australia is beautiful, amazing. And all the plants and animals are trying to kill you. That said, if I could I'd move to Queensland Australia in a heart beat: by far the most beautiful, interesting, and enjoyable place I've ever been.

Crocodiles didn't even cross my mind. I was thinking more spiders and snakes (I'm arachnophobic and my husband is ophidiophobic), and while I'm sure the chance of running into one is remote I can barely cope with the fairly harmless spiders found here in the UK. It's not unique to Australia. I wouldn't live in many places because I'd have trouble with the wildlife (ie, Florida).

It's not the only reason I wouldn't choose to make Australia my permanent home, but the 'scary animals' thing was just the first to come to mind. I'd love to visit though (just like I love to visit Florida).

People have that CONception because some giant percentage of the world's deadliest or most venemous or whatever creatures live in Australia and if you just look at snakes I think like, all the top 10 deadliest are from Oz.

Kangaroos will kick you into Tanzania, and it's too late to cover it up now, we know the truth about koalas.

images

eNxwY.jpg

Whilst I love living in England I would love to move to Australia. I have family out there and have visited them and loved their way of life and where they lived. The pace of life seemed so much more relaxed than over here (they live on the edges of towns in NSW). My BIL is also Australian (he actually grew up in the town next to where my Aunt and Uncle lives!!) so he and my SIL, nieces and nephews may move out there at some point giving us even more reason to go back and visit!

Someplace tropical but relatively clean (so for example, Jamaica would be off the list) or the UK.

I've just moved back from the UK, and I would go back there in a heartbeat, if not for all my family being in So Cal.

I lived there for five years and loved every minute of it.

Personally, of all of my vacations (excluding WDW, of course), Australia and Scotland were two of my favorite places to visit. Australia is absolutely beautiful and who can argue with those accents? As far as Scotland goes, while I am an American mutt, most of my haritage is Scottish so it almost feels like going home. I love me some haggis and find the srchitecture to be breathtaking. Also love those accents. Plus, the Scots just seem to be pretty tough and I like that. I really can't decide, but I would certainly pick one of those two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter