If you could do it all over again...

DizGirl20

DIS Veteran
If you could do it all over again, would you take a day to tour all the resorts? We purchased sight unseen at AKV (I have been to Boma so I knew a little about the resort) but we are looking to add-on soon. I am seriously considering spending a day touring all the resorts to figure out what we like best.

That being said, I am quite familiar thru the DISboards of the amenities of each resort and I have seen enough pictures and videos to have a basic idea of what to expect. Did anyone do this (tour the resorts prior to deciding)? I am just wondering if it is really worth taking time away from our vacation to tackle this agenda! WWYD?

TIA! :thumbsup2

No, because I'd already seen enough of the resorts to know what I was interested in (and not interested in). I purchased BLT before I saw the model, but I'd seen the pictures and I knew what to expect. No regrets!

I guess the real question is, can you arrange it so the touring is PART of your vacation? IOW, can you have some meals at the resorts you're considering so that you can get a feel for the resorts?

Even though I have read tons of reports and seen tons of pictures I would still take a day to do the tour. Just to be sure LOL!:thumbsup2

I haven't bought yet, but I've toured all the resorts. I definitely recommend doing the tour! It's a fun way to spend a day, and you might not know what detail is the deciding factor for you. Small things can make a big difference to your enjoyment. I'd say before you commit, investigate the minor differences between the resorts for yourself.

I feel like we did it right the first time. We researched every aspect of DVC before buying so we truly were informed buyers. We did take the tour of BLT before we signed our paperwork, but we were already sold on it so nothing we saw during the tour would have changed our minds. What we found out about the tour actually made BLT more enticing. Definitely no regrets here. :thumbsup2

We bought site unseen at BWV in 2002 (resale) and added on at BWV in 2003
(through Dsiney) and never looked back.
We knew what we wanted and didn't need to tour them all.:goodvibes

We bought sight unseen at SSR and BWV and never regretted it. We did tour BLT, but knew we would add on here regardless -- though I still don't like the studio here, we use our BLT points for 1 or 2 bedrooms. No regrets.

We bought in 2000. At the time it was OKW or BWV. We fell totally in love with the BWV and the location, location, location. We bought there, added on 2x there, and then added on at AKV 50 points, because it's our second fav resort, and the theming is awesome.

We have NO regrets whatsoever and we are actually looking to add on some more!

We bought at AKV after we stayed there and are very happy with our decision. We plan to do split stays and explore other DVCs before we add on as we would like the 11 month advantage at another resort as well. I would try a tour of other properties if it fit into my schedule or if we had a rainy day.

I like the idea of planning meals at other properties as a way to fit it in. Thanks to whoever posted that!

When we purchased, the only DVC resort options at WDW (we weren't considering HHI or VB) were OKW and BWV. We had already stayed a night at the former while at a conference when we decided to seriously investigate joining. So we stopped at the new sales office at the Boardwalk, which at that time included an attached "preview villa." Seeing it and walking around the property was enough to lead us to a decision to buy with ownership there.

We did this, but at the time only Vero, OKW and BWV were open. We went to Vero first on a $99 special, did the tour, and decided to stop the next weekend on our way to Gainesville.

As soon as we saw OKW, we found our home away from home!! That was back in $96 when prices were $62 a point.

Again, in a heart beat but much much sooner! OKW all the way back to 1991!

We rented points a few times, and had stayed at OKW 2x, BWV, and BCV before we bought into DVC. We later added points at AKV because we had stayed there and said if it's ever DVC we will add on. Still may add on 50 or so points at BWV for F & W.

Again, in a heart beat but much much sooner! OKW all the way back to 1991!

yea started at OKW and loved it.

that say when saw BLT - it was love at first site. would have brought BLT even if it looked awfully.

waited 16 years for a monrail DVC resort and was not going to let it go.

When I bought in 1999, the only WDW choices were OKW and BWV. I had stayed at OKW and had visited the boardwalk (but not the model or the rooms) and loved both. I knew BWV would be harder to get a reservation, so I bought there. No regrets.

Well, as soon as I heard about BLT, I knew it was for us :goodvibes

I had been considering DVC for years, and always felt that if they built a DVC resort on the monorail line, we would purchase, and we did! :thumbsup2

I probably would have bought at BLT sight unseen, but we happeneed to be going on a trip to the World around the same time that they were starting to sell BLT. We did the tour, but I knew we would have purchased there regardless . . .

Still, if you are undecided, I think seeing the resort is a good idea. Having done a split stay at SSR and BLT after we purchased (we got an 8 night stay at SSR as an incentive), I am happy SSR is not our home resort b/c the extra space at BLT in the 1BR is great for us . . .

There's a resort for everyone, and I would love to tour the resorts anyway!

Good luck and have fun!

We toured the models (they were at Boardwalk at the time) and bought into BCV on the spot! THEN we went over to actually see Beach Club and fell in love!!! NO regrets here :thumbsup2

Lin

We have decided to stay at all the resorts before we add on.

We bought AKV without touring. Our guide actually talked us out of buying BLT...:confused3

As much as we love Animal Kingdom it is a little far out.

We really like SSR a lot. We stayed there with our developer points.

Staying at Boardwalk next...;)

I figure the longer we wait to add on the move points we can buy.:)

Didn't like OKW's location so we didn't buy in '96. We wanted VWL, but they were selling BWV with incentives in '03 and that's what we bought with an immediate VWL add on. We've bought other resorts as add ons, but our initial buy in was without ever staying or seeing inside the BWV resort.

No regrets here.

Bobbi:goodvibes

FYI, the only real way to tour BLT is with an official tour since it is KTTW accessible only.

After we bought into the DVC we drove around one day and looked at some of the resorts, (OKW & SSR) and have dined at at SSR & BC & Kidani, and walked around the Boardwalk and looked at the models. And truthfully after all of that roaming around and looking over the DVC resorts, we don't think we made a mistake in our choice of home resort(s). We originally purchased at BLT as we thought the location was excellent. And later we added on to AKV as we really enjoyed our savanna view room when we stayed at AK for cash (before buying into to the DVC). We enjoyed our tour but didn't need it to decide.

The comments about how far away AKV and SSR are from everything always surprises me. Every WDW DVC resort is far from some park or perhaps it would be better to say you have longer bus rides to get to some of the parks. All the DVC resorts have good points and are convenient to some location. It just depends on what is most important to you.

Is it important to walk to a resort and which one?

Do you spend more time at one park over the others?

Are the amenities at a particular resort best for you and your family?

Does the decor at a resort really make you feel like home (or more relaxed)?

Personally none of the resorts has decor I'd put in my home, and I sure don't get it when people refer to one resort being more Disney like over the others as they all have themes. But I do know I feel really relaxed at AKV and love the location of BLT as well as enjoy staying in a hotel that reminds me of staying at posh mod hotel. We also like that BLT is within walking distance to CR and MK or a quick monorail ride (or a ferry ride) to another resort for dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter