• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you bring food into the parks, where do you eat it?

EpcotNerd

Mouseketeer
I see everyone raving about bringing outside food into the parks and it sounds like a great way to save money... but if I bring in a cooler of sandwiches where do we sit and eat it? I assume QS tables are for paying guests, are there picnic areas for the BYO people?

I always just sat in a QS restaurant if it was hot out. Nobody ever said anything. But I would eat before it got busy, or even open sometimes. There are plenty of places to sit in the parks. I would just find a place and use it.

Whether or not table service tables are for paying guests only is a controversial topic.

Some say that all areas of the park are available for anyone who has paid admission and others claim they are for the guest's of that particular eatery.

I usually bring my own food and eat at the tables in the resaurant but I eat at off peak times so it has never been an issue of competing for a table. Cast members have never told me that this was a problem.

Depends on the park. For instance, at MK there are tons of tables at the usually-closed Tomorrowland Terrace, outside the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland, Cosmic Ray's, Hall of Presidents, or along the fence at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. In Epcot, there are lots of benches in Future World and tons of tables inside the Land. In World SHowcase, there's tables next to Rose & Crown, in Morocco, outside America, Germany, China. Upstairs on the pyramid in Mexico is a great place to eat - there are a few tables and you're up high which is great for people-watching. DHS has tables on Sunset Boulevard, around the water near Dinosaur Gerties area, outside Backlot Express, plenty outside of Pizza Planet and Studio Catering.

I believe anything outside is fair game. Going inside is okay if it's not busy, I do believe paying people have rights to the tables when you buy food there.

No picnic areas, I'm afraid. There are benches and planters that double as benches scattered around the parks. You can't count on eating at a quick service restaurant's table as sometimes CMs will be stationed and only allowing guests who have purchased food in hand to sit. Typically that happens when the parks are crazy busy, and I'm betting if a restaurant was that busy you wouldn't take a table anyway.

I'm guessing you know that you can't roll your cooler along with you? You need one you can carry, or one that would fit into the bottom of a stroller, should you have one. Or a cooler that fits into a locker.

There really are no designated "picnic" tables or areas for folks who bring their own food. I agree there are strong feelings on both sides of QS table usage. I personally think QS tables are for those guests buying food at that establishment.

They tend to only enforce the "customers only" policy when it is busy or seating is limited for whatever reason, so it depends. I am not that concerned about it if there are plenty of tables, but if it is busy, then the paying customers should get first dibs.

Depends on the park. For instance, at MK there are tons of tables at the usually-closed Tomorrowland Terrace, outside the Lunching Pad in Tomorrowland, Cosmic Ray's, Hall of Presidents, or along the fence at the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. In Epcot, there are lots of benches in Future World and tons of tables inside the Land. In World SHowcase, there's tables next to Rose & Crown, in Morocco, outside America, Germany, China. Upstairs on the pyramid in Mexico is a great place to eat - there are a few tables and you're up high which is great for people-watching. DHS has tables on Sunset Boulevard, around the water near Dinosaur Gerties area, outside Backlot Express, plenty outside of Pizza Planet and Studio Catering.

I believe anything outside is fair game. Going inside is okay if it's not busy, I do believe paying people have rights to the tables when you buy food there.

How do you get upstairs in the Mexico?

Wait there's an upstairs to the Mexico pyramid? How have I been missing this all these years...

I assume QS tables are for paying guests, are there picnic areas for the BYO people?

I personally disagree with QS tables are for QS purchases.. Disney is one of the few places that allows outside food and QS tables are un-reserved places to eat. I don't see it any different than a mall food court with shared seating. You were allowed to bring the food, be comfortable and eat safely at the disney provided unreserved tables

I personally disagree with QS tables are for QS purchases.. Disney is one of the few places that allows outside food and QS tables are un-reserved places to eat. I don't see it any different than a mall food court with shared seating. You were allowed to bring the food, be comfortable and eat safely at the disney provided unreserved tables

I think it is very different. The tables at WDW are not set up like they are at a mall, they are all in or adjacent to one particular restaurant, and themed to look like they belong to that restaurant. I would no more take food into the parks and take a table outside of the Plaza then I would take my own food into a McDonalds play area.

Having said that, even if someone uses the tables I hope they are courteous enough to do so only if the restaurant is not busy.

I think it is very different. The tables at WDW are not set up like they are at a mall, they are all in or adjacent to one particular restaurant, and themed to look like they belong to that restaurant. I would no more take food into the parks and take a table outside of the Plaza then I would take my own food into a McDonalds play area.

Having said that, even if someone uses the tables I hope they are courteous enough to do so only if the restaurant is not busy.

if mc donalds was 150 acres, you paid $100 per person + parking to get into the door and you had no other choice, I 100% agree.. (btw, I would call the hollywood studios setup a food court)

Disney isn't going to make general bring your own food tables, they want you to spend money buying food and not advertise you don't have too.. To have a table to eat, the only thing offered is a table located near a QS eatery. Crowded or not, I'm not going to get into anyones way to sit and eat. WDW is expensive, if you need to bring your own food to afford to enjoy what I love, go ahead and eat like a normal person at a table with your family/friends/guests. It wasn't free to walk in. If your concerned your not a customer, even though it's disney and it wasn't free to get near the table, get yourself a free cup of ice water and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
if mc donalds was 150 acres, you paid $100 per person + parking to get into the door and you had no other choice, I 100% agree.. (btw, I would call the hollywood studios setup a food court)

Disney isn't going to make general bring your own food tables, they want you to spend money buying food and not advertise you don't have too.. To have a table to eat, the only thing offered is a table located near a QS eatery. Crowded or not, I'm not going to get into anyones way to sit and eat. WDW is expensive, if you need to bring your own food to afford to enjoy what I love, go ahead and eat like a normal person at a table with your family/friends/guests. It wasn't free to walk in. If your concerned your not a customer, even though it's disney and it wasn't free to get near the table, get yourself a free cup of ice water and enjoy yourself.
I don't agree either but then we've been stuck wandering around in Pecos Bills with just purchased food and nowhere to sit. There are slews of places to sit that aren't in quick serve places and IMO that is where people who don't purchase anything should sit.

We eat a late lunch with what I bring in my cooler so we get our spot on the curb for the main street parade and I start divvying up he sandwiches and sides while we wait for it to begin.

When we were there in the fall I saw quite a few people spreading out in the new grassy areas by the hub. I think it is the FP viewing area for Wishes but may be wrong about that. There isn't any shade but if the weather is nice it would be a lovely place to sit and eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter