If you are not sold on SSR, what changes WILL sell you on it?

SSR -
My whole family views SSR as a prime example of Disney's greed by building mass housing to lure in DVC memberships. This is purely our opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. As you drive through SSR you notice families with small children all piled at the bus stops waiting for transportation just to get to the pool a half mile away! LOL - just teasing, but the place is very spread out. The pool areas are small, the resort is very pretty, but the allure is lost by the village like theme.

Downtown Disney -
Disney again sold out to greed. Taking out McDonalds is sad. Converting the areas to be more family/child friendly is cutting one of their largest demographics at the knees. Us baby boomers drop serious cash on vacation, and Disney needs to realize and capitalize on our marke share.

Disney needs to lure us into staying on property to spend our $. We want the Adventurers Club and Comedy Club back! My kids are in their late teens and do not want their hair styled like a princess nor want a Mickey shirt. As adults we stay at Disney, but patronize the rest of the greater Orlando area, becaue DTD is too boring. DTD does not compare to Universal City Walk for nite life. It used to be fun, but not anymore. DTD needs more hip stores, a few popular chain food places, and hip clubs. The House of Blues is great, but now is left floundering in a dead end section of what was once a great place to hang out for the night. Disney needs to step it up like the new Pointe Orlando area on International Drive!

SSR -
... Taking out McDonalds is sad...

Personal, I can't think of anything more "unDisney" than McDonalds. I'm glad for other more unique options.

We are looking forward to the new features at Downtown Disney. To us, Pleasure Island was really cool 15 years ago, but very dated today.

I have nothing against SSR have not stayed there yet, but I tend to stretch my points. The point cost for SSR is to high for what I can get at other resorts. I just cannot see spending more points for no reason. I would suspect I will book SSR when planning a late trip and nothing else is available.

Denise in MI

I have nothing against SSR have not stayed there yet, but I tend to stretch my points. The point cost for SSR is to high for what I can get at other resorts. I just cannot see spending more points for no reason. I would suspect I will book SSR when planning a late trip and nothing else is available.

Denise in MI

That's funny. One of the early selling points for SSR was that the points were less than other resorts.

That's funny. One of the early selling points for SSR was that the points were less than other resorts.

Any times I have looked SSR has been 20+ points over I would have spent at our home resort. For the other resorts I would not mind spending more points becasuse of somthing the resort has that AKV does not. SSR just does not have that something extra special I am willing to spend more points on.

Denise in MI

SSR -
My whole family views SSR as a prime example of Disney's greed by building mass housing to lure in DVC memberships. This is purely our opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. As you drive through SSR you notice families with small children all piled at the bus stops waiting for transportation just to get to the pool a half mile away! LOL - just teasing, but the place is very spread out. The pool areas are small, the resort is very pretty, but the allure is lost by the village like theme.

Downtown Disney -
Disney again sold out to greed. Taking out McDonalds is sad. Converting the areas to be more family/child friendly is cutting one of their largest demographics at the knees. Us baby boomers drop serious cash on vacation, and Disney needs to realize and capitalize on our marke share.

Disney needs to lure us into staying on property to spend our $. We want the Adventurers Club and Comedy Club back! My kids are in their late teens and do not want their hair styled like a princess nor want a Mickey shirt. As adults we stay at Disney, but patronize the rest of the greater Orlando area, becaue DTD is too boring. DTD does not compare to Universal City Walk for nite life. It used to be fun, but not anymore. DTD needs more hip stores, a few popular chain food places, and hip clubs. The House of Blues is great, but now is left floundering in a dead end section of what was once a great place to hang out for the night. Disney needs to step it up like the new Pointe Orlando area on International Drive!

You lost me on the McDonalds point, but I agree with a lot of the rest. Even though a couple of my "wish list" items posted earlier in this thread turned out to be somewhat addressed at the resort, I still agree that it was a money grab by Disney. At the very least, they could have made it seem like LESS of a money grab by making it into TWO resorts, like POR and POFQ. Just the presence of a second check-in area and a different theme would have made guests feel like they weren't a small blip in a condominium community.

I spent a few nights at City Walk and, from that brief time there, I felt it was very un-Disney. I'm not sure I would want Pleasure Island to attract that crowd. I think the key would be to find the middle ground between what it is now and City Walk. I always thought it would be neat to truly have a mini "Theater District," adding on to what they already have with Cirque. Other things could be a bit more upscale or family friendly so that they wouldn't attract the crazies. The comedy club and Adventurers Club totally fit into that mold. I think that could work. But as it stands now, it is nothing more than a mall to me. I live near Paramus NJ, which has 4 malls, so I don't need to go to Disney to visit another one. And a giant resort next to a mall isn't going to excite the masses. Some people, sure, but the masses, no.

...And a giant resort next to a mall isn't going to excite the masses. Some people, sure, but the masses, no.

Then how come everytime I go to DTD, it is just mobbed with people? I've never been there where you didn't have to wait in a long line to pay for something.

Any times I have looked SSR has been 20+ points over I would have spent at our home resort. For the other resorts I would not mind spending more points becasuse of somthing the resort has that AKV does not. SSR just does not have that something extra special I am willing to spend more points on.

Denise in MI

There is no argument from me with regard to AKV!

AKV is a close second favorite resort -- after SSR -- and I love the value & standard Jambo options. You still can get a great view and an awesome resort! I think the Grand Villas at SSR are way over priced for most seasons. I still prefer the SSR's dues to AKV.

When SSR's points were announced, they were less than VWL, BCV, and most BWV accommodations and a major reason we generally don't stay at those resorts. The lower SSR points and low dues were a major selling point at the time.

This is a super easy question. What has to change to make SSR more appealing? Build a monorail loop running between SSR and the Ticket and Transportation Center. There is a rumor mentioning this possibility and if it comes to fruition, SSR will be one of the most difficult resorts to book at the 7 month window.

I bet you'll see a 5th gate before a monorail loop shows up :laughing:

I totally agree that Universal City Walk seems to be more of a mecca for a different class (LOL), and that is a downside to going there, but the vibe is definitely happy and more electric. Downtown Disney needs to capture something in between as you stated. As for McDonalds, It was a staple that offered an economical food option for families instead of having to purchase a $14 dinosaur burger. DTD is always packed for sure. After so many years, we are not interested in souvenirs, but rather a fun dining/dancing experience that has a great vibe, and is more economical while still providing a certain level of class.

Disney is family oriented so it must be hard to decide what will and will not satisfy the different demographics while maintaining their primary focus. We all have our wish list, but flexibility is the key! So being flexible and understanding we always have a rental car and just hop in to zip off property to the Pointe of Orlando (great yuppy atmosphere - plenty of popular restaurants, good prices on food and drinks), and to Corona Cigar Shop up on Sand Lake (great fun, good music and conversation, cigars, wine/beer, good prices, and an upscale crowd with an old world Cuban vibe). Jimmy Buffet's is also a very fun place to go for food and dancing - everyone is happy and cheerful.

1 Thing missing for me is a kids club. When we stay at AKV, BC, (short walk) BWV, (and by monorail to Poly) BLT, it i so nice to have 2 hours off with just DH and I. When we stay at SSR there is no reasonable option. Though we still do night out, we don't just cannot take her there cause she doesn't want to go to dinner, or he is a little over tired. Allowing us to have a quieter dinner a drink, and to do some shopping without rushing. SSR (or OKW) is an hour + round trip and at least a bus change compared to walking/stopping on the way to ESPN to drop of DD6.

4 the record it is still my 2nd fav resort, but might take 1 with this addition. I do not get the haters. I love to be "stuck" here. I love that my sec fav resort is some how the last resort picked.

Our family loves SSR. We have two teenagers and occasionally travel with more than that. The teenagers request SSR and did so even "pre-teen".

However, we are not "park-focused". We enjoy the parks but have always spent a significant part of each vacation enjoying the resorts and the other activities available in the area. Our kids enjoyed the Community Hall and continue to do so when we bring our younger nieces. The CP pool is our favourite quiet pool of all the resorts. (VWL is the next...) They like the proximity to DTD and haven't complained about taking the buses to the parks. It doesn't have the access of VWL, BLT, BWV etc but that was obvious at the time of purchase. It isn't necessary for our family.

The enhancements to SSR (THV, Grandstand Pool and Paddock Pool) were not there when we purchased. All have added to the resort which we were happy with at purchase.

The one enhancement that I would like to see is deeper discounts for using the spa facilities. Originally we could use the sauna/steam room etc for free but that is no longer possible. That is about the only thing that I miss at this time.

My feeling is that if you don't like it, get out of it. That is what we did. We already owned too many points with our total of 601 so we unloaded 300 of them. It didn't take us any time to decide which resort was going to go up on the chopping block.SSR was never our cup of tea either. I feel much better now that I don't own something that made me feel as if I had settled.

This is an interesting thread to me right now, since we're currently having discussions about adding on. We already own at two of our favorites places to stay (AKL and BWV). We have stayed at SSR, which we all liked well enough, but didn't love.

What would I change to enjoy it more?

1) The bus service. This was a big one. When we were there, the wait for the buses was always terrible. Every bus, every time. There just weren't enough of them. You waited too long, and then they were full. By the end of the week, we were driving everywhere, because the bus experience was too frustrating. (Now I will say, our bus experience in December at AKL was equally bad, but that's another story.)

2) Some sort of visually appealing (from a distance) night time show at DTD. Wouldn't have to be fireworks, but some sort of light show that people at SSR got a lovely view of would be nice.

3) Something "magical" for children. Horses? Ponies? I know it's been said that playing up the horse theme with real horses isn't very practical, but it would certainly increase my DS's interest in the place. I guess what it comes down to is that I don't currently find SSR particularly appealing to small children. DS might like the treehouse villas better, but we haven't tried them. He loves the animals at AKL and the boardwalk entertainers at the BW, but there is nothing about SSR that is a huge kid draw. We have a 6 yr old and an infant, so something appealing to young children is important to us. Hmm, maybe a small working carousel? Even just a super themed playground with horses or carousel horses for climbing on and riding would be a help. This is tough, obviously, but right now, there is nothing that makes my son say, "I want to stay THERE."

My family and I love SSR! We own at BLT's, but would stay at SSR again in a heartbeat!

My dd was 9 when we first stayed there, and she fell in love with it!

We would not change a thing about this resort! :thumbsup2

SSR is my wifes parents home resort and akv is mine. The only problem i have with ssr is the buses.

Everytime i have stayed at ssr the buses would take sometimes 2 hours to come to the park to pick us up. AKV is one of the farthest from say MK and the buses are always faster then ssr.

Maybe because akv is also a deluxe hotel besides dvc.

So my only change would be to fix the buses.

SSR is my wifes parents home resort and akv is mine. The only problem i have with ssr is the buses.

Everytime i have stayed at ssr the buses would take sometimes 2 hours to come to the park to pick us up. AKV is one of the farthest from say MK and the buses are always faster then ssr.

Maybe because akv is also a deluxe hotel besides dvc.

So my only change would be to fix the buses.

You must really be unlucky. Never had a problem with buses at SSR.

SSR will always have a place in my heart.

When we bought in to DVC, we purchased points at AKV which was being built, we got the special of a full contract -- for us 160 points -- of developers points to use since our home resort was not open. The only catch was we could only use the developer's points at SSR. Being new tot he DVC system, we really didn't care where we stayed, we were just happy to be at Disney and got three trips that year out of our developer's points (March '09 -- Spring Training, April '09 -- DD's first Disney vacation, and then July '09).

Our first visit to SSR, we had a not so good location, but quickly through these boards I learned where to stay. Our second trip we had a studio overlooking the Grandstand pool -- I so loved having the curtains open a crack at night to see the glow of the pool lights, and for our third SSR stay, we were also in the opposite building in the Grandsatnd section. Last year we used our regular points to go President's Day weekend, and I requested a room i the Springs when we checked in. We had to wait until later in the afternoon, but we were RIGHT there, across from the main pool, and knew the trick of walkign over to the Paddock(?) bus stops to avoid the crowd at The Springs bus stop and be able to get on sooner (thanks DISBoards).

Last year I decided to venture out and try other DVC resorts so we've alos stayed at BCV (I really want to add on points fromt here) and our home resort AKV. Our next trip is in two weeks and we are staying at AKV (points wise it was cheaper for us), but I do think a lot about SSR and how RELAXED I feel there. There's something about AKV that makes me feel competitive and rushed.......

It's funny, we have friends who got us curious about DVC and SSR is their home resort, and they have NEVER stayed there. I often think people are missing out.

As far as the busses, they never bother me. We are rope droppers and know when to board the bus to make it to the park with plenty of time. We also have the perk of DRIVING anywhere around the Disney property so there are options. The bus ride back also gives me views of the Disney property and usually is a nap inducer for DD -- age 3.

Anyway, I am an SSR lover. It was our first "home". I do someday plan on booking a stay again at SSR, but the hubster wants to try WLV first.

SSR is a great resort, as are all DVC resorts. However, comparatively, it has less appeal for less people than do any of the other WDW resorts. The main reason is location and while OKW shares a similar location, SSR is significantly more in points than OKW in addition to OKW also being lower in demand than the rest. IMO, the only way to overcome the location issue would have been to either make the resort over the top and/or to have lower the points at least to those of OKW. Don't let anyone tell you that SSR and OKW are more available simply due to size, that is only a very minor component of the equation.

There are certainly things that could be done to alter the appeal somewhat but none of the even semi reasonable options would be enough to change the realities at this point. IMO, the single largest thing they could have done would have been to put larger lake homes there and then price them reasonably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter