If you are just back from CC, how was the water temps?

Skyw

DIS Veteran
Hi
More planning questions!!! I am desperately trying to plan a trip around 3 schedules. It is craziness. Anyhow, we have written off this month because of the desire to be in the water at CC. Then I wondered if the temps were higher this year because of a mild winter.

So how was it? Cold, numbing or enjoyable?

Thanks

We got back two weeks ago and I thought it was cold (72ish), but we got in.

My DH and DD both thought it was a little warmer than last March. I wore a shorty wet suit to snorkel and my DH wore one at the second stop to CC, but he didn’t think it made a lot of difference (I did). No one was really floating around in the water because they thought it was too cold, but some did brave the water to snorkel and do Pelican plunge.

We were on Castaway Cay last week, March 29. The water was very cold, but not intolerable. When you first got in it was a shock, and I wouldn't say you would get used to it, but you could tolerate it.

George

We were there on March 29 as well. I was glad I had packed our wetsuits. We snorkeled, and I'm not sure how long I would have lasted without a wetsuit (short arms and legs). We decided to purchase these after having been on 2 DCL cruises in January and not enjoying the water. BEST $45 I ever spent! :)

Ughh, That is what I thought. I think I am going to check some of the NOAA maps with water temps. 80 would be awesome but I am thinking that would be a pipe dream.

We sailed March 27th's double dip, the first day we had some drizzles in the morning and it was probably in the mid 70's for air temp, the water was a bit cool but it did not stop most people from going in. The second CC day we had warmer temps, 85 maybe and the water was more enjoyable we were able to snorkel with no problem.

We sailed March 27th's double dip, the first day we had some drizzles in the morning and it was probably in the mid 70's for air temp, the water was a bit cool but it did not stop most people from going in. The second CC day we had warmer temps, 85 maybe and the water was more enjoyable we were able to snorkel with no problem.

We were on the same cruise, but I'd say the air/water temp did keep a lot of people out of the water the first day (Wednesday) - there were a lot of open chairs on the further family beach by Cookies II. DW did snorkel out, but the water was cloudy and she couldn't see 2 feet away. So I only got in up to my knees and couldn't do any more. The beach and water was more crowded Saturday.

I asked a CM when the water was more dependably warmer and she said mid to late May - but she said then the air temp is so hot (she was from Australia).

Bahamas Weather

Average Temperatures Water Temperature Air Temperature Wetsuit Recommendation
January-February 72-75f/22-24c 72-80f/22-27c Full Wetsuit 3mm or thicker
March 73-77f/23-25c 72-85f/22-29c Full Wetsuit 3mm or thicker
April 75-79f/24-26c 76-90f24-32c Shorty or Full Wetsuit
May 77-80f/25-27c 80-90f/27-32c Skin or Shorty
June 79-81f/26-27c 80-90f/27-32c None required
July-Sept 81-85f/27-29c 80-90f/27-32c None required
October 79-82f/26-28c 76-90f/24-32c Skin or Shorty
November 77-80f/25-27c 72-85f/22-29c Shorty or Full Wetsuit
December 75-78f/24-26c 72-85f/22-29c Full Wetsuit 3mm or thicker

Both of our cruises were the first week of April and what we found over the planning time was that if you were from a more southern state you thought the water was cool - BUT - if you were from a more northern state you thought the water was fine.:confused3:thumbsup2

I was just there the last week of February, and I thought the water was quite warm. Of course, I live in Vermont :)

thanks everyone. I looked up the Lake Michigan water temps from when I went on vacation in July. It was beyond cold. I only went up to my waist. The temp was a high of 66. So it looks like the average temp at CC in April is about 10-15 degrees warmer. :)

Both of our cruises were the first week of April and what we found over the planning time was that if you were from a more southern state you thought the water was cool - BUT - if you were from a more northern state you thought the water was fine.:confused3:thumbsup2

thanks everyone. I looked up the Lake Michigan water temps from when I went on vacation in July. It was beyond cold. I only went up to my waist. The temp was a high of 66. So it looks like the average temp at CC in April is about 10-15 degrees warmer. :)

We were there the last week of March a couple of years ago. I don't know what the water temp was, but we thought it was freezing! We've been to CC four other times and the water was perfect. Late March - not so much.

FWIW - we're from Colorado (not sure if that qualifies as a Northern state, but it snowed here today) and we won't do a Bahamas only cruise in the winter/spring months again. We'd go further south in the Caribbean, but we like CC water and air temps to be a lot warmer so we can better enjoy it.

We were on the March 27 cruise. The water was perfect for us on both days. The first day was delightful as a bit of rain at 8AM scared most people away until the afternoon. We did slides and the floating jungle gym without any waits. We're from Canada though, so Caribbean water at any time of the year is warm.

Lots of jellyfish though. Our kids got stung a couple of times each. They whined for about 5-10 minutes and then forgot about it.

We were on the March 27 cruise. The water was perfect for us on both days. The first day was delightful as a bit of rain at 8AM scared most people away until the afternoon. We did slides and the floating jungle gym without any waits. We're from Canada though, so Caribbean water at any time of the year is warm.

Lots of jellyfish though. Our kids got stung a couple of times each. They whined for about 5-10 minutes and then forgot about it.

Were they the larger jellyfish that you can see or the tiny ones that are almost not able to been noticed?

They were between 3-5cm (about an inch and a half), and quite beautiful to look at. I didn't see many bigger than that.

Our girls were in the water for 7-8 hours each CC day, and only suffered two stings each. That's far better odds than mosquito season here in the Great White North (and I'd take a jellyfish sting over a mosquito bite any day). ;)

We carry Zytrec with us just in case of a sting. It was a tip we got on the disboards! :worship: We didn't need it last time, but the girl in the cabana next to us got stung so we shared it. She felt better within a small amount of time after taking it.

We carry Zytrec with us just in case of a sting. It was a tip we got on the disboards! :worship: We didn't need it last time, but the girl in the cabana next to us got stung so we shared it. She felt better within a small amount of time after taking it.

Do you mean Zyrtec? I googled Zytrec and nothing came up.

Thanks

You must be Canadian if you thought the first day was delightful. The water that day was FREEZING!!!

We had a number of stings too. I think DW had at least half a dozen.

Hmmmm... we're sailing on the Fantasy the end of this month... I grew up in Maine and moved to Florida 2 1/2 years ago... am I going to be ok with the water? :confused3

We were also on last week's double stop at CC. Wed the 28th was cooler, as others have said. Our adult kids and grand kids ( from So Cal) had no problems with the water or jellyfish. The kids were in all day. Sat the 31st was several degrees warmer, and even I went in and enjoyed it (I'm from So Florida). Again, the kids were in all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter