• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you are a great baker, or a creative baker, need your help!

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
when I was little my mom once made a dessert that I LOVED!:love: The problem is that when I asked her about it as an adult, she has no idea what that dessert was. All I remember is that it was a layered dessert with grahm crackers, something creamy and blueberry pie filling.

I want to try to recreate this but not sure what to put in the creamy portion. I did buy vanilla pudding, cream cheese and cool whip. Not sure if that would recreate it or not. I don't remember it tasting very "vanilla pudding", more whip creamy.

Any ideas of what might be a good cream type filling combo... and portions?

(and yes, I did try google, but nothing jumped out at me that screamed "this is it!", more of pie type desserts, or again the pudding)

THanks for the quick reply. Definitely not a cheesecake. more like whip cream layers. It didn't fall apart on the plate like pudding, but not stiff like a cheesecake, and not that flavor.

and it was layered in a 9x13 pan, not in a pie crust. I remember several layers of grahm crackers.

Ughhh, this recipee is driving me nuts!:scratchin

Although my favorite dessert isn't layered, it has the same ingredients

its called Cream Cheese Pie

You start with a graham cracker pie crust

In a bowl..mix a pkg of softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and a regular size container of thawed cool whip..Beat with elec mixer till well mixed
Pour into pie shell and chill

I use blueberry pie filling on top, but you can use cherry, apple, peach, etc

Its lighter than cheesecake, but just as yummy!

There are a lot of recipes out there, so you might have to look around for what sounds right. But, I think it might be Blueberry Dream Pie.

I would use a recipe that calls for dream whip. Used to be very popular product.

I used to make a cream cheese thing that was the graham cracker mini tarts, then I had a cream cheese filling and I either topped it with the pie fillings or chocolate pudding. The filling was sweet and creamy. I know I used cream cheese, heavy whipping cream and confectioners sugar but I can't tell you the amounts other than it was a full block of the cream cheese.

I have no idea where that recipe is now..but I would just start beating the cream cheese and add the other ingredients until it got really whipped cream looking and tasted good. I'm not sure I even had an exact recipe that I followed but I must have seen it somewhere for me to make it.

Oh yeah...just remembered that my Mom used to make a dessert that was a layer of graham crackers, a layer of cool whip and a layer of cherry pie filling..then it would repeat the layers and would be topped with some cool whip.

It would go in the fridge to set and it would get the graham crackers kind of on the softer side so it wasn't so hard to cut and serve. She made it in the 9 x 13 pan too.

I wonder if this is the same thing with just a different pie filling?

thanks everyone!

Have some questions... how does dream whip differ from cool whip? do they still have this product in the stores? If they don't is cool whip the best alternative or is whip cream better? I found the following recipee and it seems like the ingredients might be it.

If there is no more dream whip, what would be the amount that I need...meaning how much would 2 envelopes of dream whip make compared to a a regular container of cool whip?

BLUEBERRY DREAM PIE
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/4 lb. butter, melted
2 env. Dream Whip
2 c. confectioners' sugar
2 lg. pkgs. cream cheese
1 can blueberry pie filling

Mix crumbs and butter, press into 9"x12" pan. Prepare Dream Whip as directed. Blend confectioners' sugar and cream cheese together. Fold in Dream Whip, pour over crust. Top with pie filling. Chill.

Oh yeah...just remembered that my Mom used to make a dessert that was a layer of graham crackers, a layer of cool whip and a layer of cherry pie filling..then it would repeat the layers and would be topped with some cool whip.

It would go in the fridge to set and it would get the graham crackers kind of on the softer side so it wasn't so hard to cut and serve. She made it in the 9 x 13 pan too.

I wonder if this is the same thing with just a different pie filling?

That is exactly how I remember it, except it wasn't just cool whip, it was something else, or something more... I wonder if the recipee I posted above is it? Sounds close.

thanks everyone!

Have some questions... how does dream whip differ from cool whip? do they still have this product in the stores? If they don't is cool whip the best alternative or is whip cream better? I found the following recipee and it seems like the ingredients might be it.

If there is no more dream whip, what would be the amount that I need...meaning how much would 2 envelopes of dream whip make compared to a a regular container of cool whip?

BLUEBERRY DREAM PIE
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/4 lb. butter, melted
2 env. Dream Whip
2 c. confectioners' sugar
2 lg. pkgs. cream cheese
1 can blueberry pie filling

Mix crumbs and butter, press into 9"x12" pan. Prepare Dream Whip as directed. Blend confectioners' sugar and cream cheese together. Fold in Dream Whip, pour over crust. Top with pie filling. Chill.

We do something like this, only I use whipping cream instead of dream whip and lemon pie filling (Lucky Leaf) instead of blueberry. It is DD13's favorite dessert and I will be making one tonight! I also buy the premade graham cracker crust.

It may have been Cool Whip..
But, to be honest, I just can not and will not bring myself to put that into my body!!!! OMG.

Do they even still make Dream Whip mix???
That may be a better option than Cool Whip.
At least you make that with fresh milk/cream, right.

The thing with real whipped cream in a dessert like this, is that I don't know how one can keep it from breaking down and like melting????

That would work if one was not making it ahead, keeping it well refrigerated (who has any extra room in their fridge right now!!!) And, if all/most of it is to be eaten and not left-over.

Hope you make it and it is as good as you remember!!!

I make a whip cream dessert (from heavy whipping cream) and you FOLD in mini marshmallows and crushed dinner dessert mints. Then refridgerate. It is very good.

You just have to be gentle with the whipped cream when making the dessert.

The crust is chocolate cookies made from "Famous Chocolate Wafers". Look up the wafers there are many Christmas recipes for these cookies including the iced boxed "wafer log" cake. Here is Rachel Ray's version of it. I might have to try this.

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3399

yes they do..I got some at Walmart last weekend!

It may have been Cool Whip..
But, to be honest, I just can not and will not bring myself to put that into my body!!!! OMG.

That may be a better option than Cool Whip.
At least you make that with fresh milk/cream, right.

That would work if one was not making it ahead, keeping it well refrigerated (who has any extra room in their fridge right now!!!) And, if all/most of it is to be eaten and not left-over.

Hope you make it and it is as good as you remember!!!

It has to be refrigerated, and it is better the next day. :)

We make a dessert that is a layer of crushed vanilla wafers, a layer of cherry pie filling, a layer of Cool Whip (or whipped cream - we use Cool Whip) - then just repeat. We make it in a 9 x 13 pan. Chill and serve.

My mother used to make this all the time...it was very popular at all potluck type events in the 60's and 70's. It can be made with either blueberry or cherry pie filling. I loved this when I was little....this is exactly the way she made it, although I believe she used a graham cracker crust (not rice crispy).
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cherry-Supreme-Dessert

We make it with real whipping cream. It is a favourite birthday cake. I make it up sometimes the day before. It lasts for quite a while and I have never had it break down. You do keep it in the fridge.
tigercat

I too was thinking it was a cheese cake type square with blueberry pie filling instead of cherry.

Dream whip is definitely different then cool whip. And they do still sell it.

This cheese cake is not as dense as a regular baked one. You mix the dream up up like on the package and fold in the soften cream cheese top with cherry pie filling. Grahram wafer crust with some to sprinkle on the top of the cherries. So good.

My mom makes it a spring pan now but used to make it on a cookie sheet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter