If we skip using Magical Express

mamamary

DIS Veteran
Hi. My DH would rather take a taxi back to Orlando airport after our vacation instead of using magical express. Can we still do the resort airline check in and leave our luggage or can we only do that if using magical express? Not sure if the two go hand in hand as we have always used ME in the past. He'd rather not get to the airport so early. Also, are taxis available at the resorts (not sure which one we are staying at yet) to take us to the airport or do we need to make arrangements ahead of time? Thanks :)

Yes, you can use RAC without using DME.

You really should leave WDW no less than 2-1/2 hours before your flight, though. The security lines at MCO can be horrendous. It's so much better to have some time to kill at the airport than it is to miss your flight. So, basically, a cab will cost about $60 and save you about 30 minutes.

Thanks. We may still use DME on the way home but wanted to keep all our options open.

RAC and DME are not tied together. It makes no difference how you get back to the airport.....if you are flying on a participating airline, and you are staying at a WDW owned resort, you can use RAC. BUT....if you have an early flight (before 8:30am) you will find that you aren't able to use RAC. The RAC counter opens at 5am, and you have to be completely done with your transaction no less than 3 hrs prior to flight departure. If your flight is prior to 8:30am, this is going to be hard to do.

Also....don't plan on leaving your resort less than 2.5 hrs prior to departure. As noted above, security can be a bear!!! I usually have times of about 15 mins in the security line. BUT...last Dec??? More like 30 mins!!! It took forever!!! And if there is a lot of traffic on the road, or there is an accident...well, that can add time as well. Yes, DME leaves about 3 hrs prior to flight time. But in all reality, that leaves you with about 30 addtl mins to kill at MCO. Let's say your flight is at noon. You will be picked up by DME around 9am. You will get to MCO about 9:45-10ish, depending on what time you got picked up. Then, 20 mins in the security line...now it's 10:15. Now, you have to get to your gate.....tram and then walk...now it's about 10:40. You get to the gate at 10:45. Your flight starts to board at 11:30ish...so you have a mere 45 mins to kill at the gate. Get something to eat, use the restrooms. But, don't leave WDW too late!!

This thread got me thinking, don't mean to hijack, but what actually happens if you miss the flight? Do they charge a penalty to get you on another flight, make you wait "stand-by" or what? I'm just curious, I never really thought about it before.

In answer to OP, we always have a town car service and we check our luggage in at the hotel(RAC). We also always get picked up 2 hrs before the flight and have not had a problem. I never really questioned this, they just tell us the pickup time and we are there and ready. Maybe this year I should have them pick us up a little earlier.

This thread got me thinking, don't mean to hijack, but what actually happens if you miss the flight? Do they charge a penalty to get you on another flight, make you wait "stand-by" or what? I'm just curious, I never really thought about it before.

In answer to OP, we always have a town car service and we check our luggage in at the hotel(RAC). We also always get picked up 2 hrs before the flight and have not had a problem. I never really questioned this, they just tell us the pickup time and we are there and ready. Maybe this year I should have them pick us up a little earlier.

You mean if you miss the flight because you didn't make it thru security . I quess it would depend on the airline but I would think you could be out of luck. The only time I think they would put you on another flight is if it was a connection problem.

Oralando is hit or miss as others have said but 30 mins has been the norm of us to go thru the secirty line at MCO.

Kae

It depends somewhat on the airline and what kind of ticket you bought, but for the most part, you will have to buy new tickets for the next available flight.

We went to Disneyland a couple of weeks ago and had a fabulous time. We got to the airport for the flight home and found out that my sister had booked her return flight on the wrong day. She had missed her flight by almost 48 hours. She was flying American. They charged her the $150 change fee and we werethrilled. It could have been sooo much worse if they had made her buy a new ticket. She couldn't get on the flight that she thought she was on, but she got a flight about an hour later.

It depends, but most airlines have a "flat tire rule" wherein they will not penalize you if you miss a flight. I've never been charged a penalty when I missed a flight, but I understand this experience isn't universal.

The real challenge is not necessarily change fees (though I know those aren't cheap)...it's that carriers have really streamlined their capacity to keep it very, very close to demand, so if you miss your flight, you might be waiting a while for another flight with space. This is especially true in weather delays...sure, the airline will rebook you on the next available flight, but that might be a couple of days out!

I guess it would all depend on why you missed your flight. IF DME got you to MCO at the 2 hr mark, as MCO requests, but you ran into ridiculously long security lines, then who knows. But if DME messed up, then it may be up to Disney to make good.

I have never heard of anyone missing their flight when taking DME. Now, if the guest missed their appointed bus, and tried to get on a later bus, then sure, they miss their flight, but that isn't Disney's fault.

I have no issue with the 3 hrs prior to departure pickup time with DME. When I hire a car service I always have them pick me up early enough to arrive at MCO 2 hrs prior to my flight departure...so that is usually about 2.5 hrs before hand.

I have no issue with the 3 hrs prior to departure pickup time with DME. When I hire a car service I always have them pick me up early enough to arrive at MCO 2 hrs prior to my flight departure...so that is usually about 2.5 hrs before hand.

Same here....I've seen many threads about pick up times and there have been many responses saying that leaving WDW 2hrs ahead is plenty of time when going by car. I really have to disagree....I think that 2hrs is pressing your luck. In all cases I still like to arrive at the airport 2hrs before my flight time....I much prefer to sit and have a snack then to be standing in a line stressing about making the flight. Really, when you have a few hours of travel time ahead of you what's another 30-45 minutes??? :confused3

I'm also in agreement that MCO security can be extremely busy....longest lines I've seen anywhere.

It depends, but most airlines have a "flat tire rule" wherein they will not penalize you if you miss a flight. I've never been charged a penalty when I missed a flight, but I understand this experience isn't universal.

The real challenge is not necessarily change fees (though I know those aren't cheap)...it's that carriers have really streamlined their capacity to keep it very, very close to demand, so if you miss your flight, you might be waiting a while for another flight with space. This is especially true in weather delays...sure, the airline will rebook you on the next available flight, but that might be a couple of days out!

I think Southwest has a 2 hour "flat tire" policy. Get to the airport no more then 2 hours after your scheduled flight and you'll be accommodated on the next flight which has space available. No change fee and you don't have to pay the fare difference. You don't literally need to say you have a flat tire. The policy is a courtesy to accommodate passengers who get delayed for any reason including traffic, TSA delays etc.

Dangerous since availability may not be available. Your group may have to take different flights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter