• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If we do not get a verandah

DisneyCampers

Mouseketeer
will we regret it? They are just so muh more money and I am wondering if they are worth all the extra? We do not spend alot of time in our room, but at the same time we do not want to feel closed in or like we are in a closet. How big are their standard staterooms? Will me , DH, DD11, DD1 feel too crowded? I think we will spend most of our time out and about, just use the room to sleep and get dressed. If you had a room with a verandah did you find that you used it? sorry for all the questions just in decision mode.

Its really just up to personal preference. We have cruised both with and without verandahs. We prefer to have a verandah for anything 7 nights or longer if we can afford it. We did a 7 nighter on Carnival not too long ago and had an inside room....it wasn't horrible, but it was definitely small and we did miss our verandah. We have a DCL cruise in April of this year and we have an inside room, but it is just a 3 nighter so I don't think we'll miss it much. We do enjoy the verandah very much so we try to choose it any time it will fit in our budget but we've never been absolutely miserable without it.

We have also cruised with and without a verandah but now choose to book Category 9 or lower staterooms. The verandah just isn't worth the price to us. We'd rather cruise longer or more often in a lower category than have a verandah that we seldom use. Having had a verandah in the past and now cruising without one, I can honestly say that we don't miss it at all.

on the Wonder on 2/7. It was nice to have, but not necessary. Have a great cruise!:goodvibes

Do we enjoy our verandah when we get one...absolutely. Would I rather cruise more often in a non-verandah cabin....absolutely!!!

We have done both and while I enjoy one when I have one I really do not miss one when I don't. It does not impact my cruise experience at all.

Some people can't cruise without a verandah.....some people only like insides....totally a personal choice. My "go to" cabin category is mainly Cat 9 oceanview....when I have some extra I will spring for a Verandah.

Do I think you will enjoy your cruise less without a verandah....not at all.

MJ

Thank you for your replies. We are thinking about doing a 4 day cruise in Sept as the rates for a standard stateroom are not that bad if we can go without the verandah.

It doesn't even faze us whether we have a window or not.

I would MUCH rather use the money saved for a special excursion or longer cruise. :lovestruc

Thank you for your replies. We are thinking about doing a 4 day cruise in Sept as the rates for a standard stateroom are not that bad if we can go without the verandah.

I would not miss it on a 4 day cruise. There's so much to do and not enough time to get it all in that you'll likely not have enough quality time to spend out on your verandah anyways. Enjoy your planning!

If you are already planning on being out of the room a lot than a verandah would not be worth it. Save the money for excursions, another cruise in the future or whatever you want to do with. My thoughts is if you can save some money then do it....Also try and inside/ocean view room this time and if you like and want to cruise you can then splurge for the verandah if you want. Some people have a hard time getting rid of it once they have it or are afraid to to go down in categories.

I have had a verandah twice and an inside room once and now do not care what room i have. As long as I am on the ship I am a happy camper.

With the 1 year old you might wish to have it. You can get fresh air during naps and early bed times. Just a thought. We loved it for when our DS6 (at the time) would nap or hit the pillow early. We could sit out there and read and have breakfast. Very nice and worth it to us.

I'll have to be counted as one of the verandah-obsessed. On my first and second cruises I was in inside cabins, no porthole. After 9/11, prices were extremely cheap on some types of travel and DH and I were able to get a verandah room on RCI for just a tiny bit more than one without. Now we're both spoiled and always want one. I get seasick a lot and the balcony makes a huge difference for me. I also tend to get very tired late at night on the ships and rather than be out and about in the clubs, my favorite thing to do is change into something comfy and just sit or stand out on the balcony and feel the sea spray and look for lights off in the distance. It is an extremely, extremely peaceful feeling to me and one that I haven't been able to replicate anywhere else. In the daytime it is a blast to look for dolphins and to watch stragglers return from port. Now that we will be travelling with kids, I expect to use it even more. All that being said, this trip is costing us a great deal and moreso because of the verandah, so obviously we are giving up some other stuff just to have it...everyone's decision will be different in that regard...

My DS, 4 at time of 4 day cruise took naps...so when he napped I would sit on verandah and eat lunch (if around lunch) or read. :cutie:

I would have most definitely felt like I was missing something w/o the verandah while he napped. Verandah is worth extra cost with small napping child.:goodvibes

MJ pretty much expressed my feelings. I've sailed with one and without. I enjoy it when I have it, but am fine when I don't. The shorter the cruise, the less need for a verandah.

I prefer a verandah if we have two or more days at sea. It's nice to sit on first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee figuring out the plans for the day and at night to wind down after a busy day. And during sea days we used it a lot for some quiet time. And even while on the sea there is some interesting things to watch, clouds/storms in the distance, lights at night from the islands in the distance, rainbows, other cruise ships, and more.

For our upcoming Panama Canal cruise I can't imagine not having one with I believe seven days at sea. This will be our first time with a navigators verandah, looking to save some money.

We love having a verandah! I love to sit out on ours late into the night and early morning hours and watch the stars, lights of passing ships and islands. My hubby is often caught out there sound asleep with a book in his lap. It is like having another room with the best view ever. The water is the most beautiful shade of blue, I am mesmerized! I vote for a verandah!!!

DCL cabins are some of the largest I've ever seen so a room without verandah is still plenty of room. Depending on the ship, some of the verandah rooms are actually smaller than rooms without the verandah (the verandah is included in the sq. footage). It also depends on the category.
As many have posted it's a personal choice - some people with smaller kids don't like the verandah (afraid of the kids getting out) while do (nice place to sit and read while kids are napping).

My advice would be to book the room you will be happy with then get to the port early and go for a port upgrade, meaning if a better room is available you can upgrade at a greatly reduced rate, like 80% less.

We upgraded from category 4 to category 1, the Roy O Disney suite on our 4 day January cruise for $1,550. A video of our room is below in my signature.

Count me as another one who's done a verandah and then gone to a porthole. IMO if money is no object then go for it. But WE prefer to save our money for shore excursions & tours. ESPECIALLY on a short 3 or 4 night cruise. You'll barely be on the ship long enough to figure out where your room IS let alone have time to sit out there for more than a few minutes! I DO want to at least have a porthole though. I need a window. Sure I would LIKE a balcony if I could afford it. But as it is we're lucky to just get on the boat!! Now, if we were doing a long cruise with a lot of sea days like the PC or if we were going to Alaska where the scenery is THE THING then I'd probably spring for one. But having done 3 cruises now we know how LITTLE time we spend in the room. The balcony is not worth it if you have to think too hard about the price. Book what you are comfortable spending & splurge on your excursions. You will remember those a lot more than you will the room.

DCL cabins are some of the largest I've ever seen so a room without verandah is still plenty of room. Depending on the ship, some of the verandah rooms are actually smaller than rooms without the verandah (the verandah is included in the sq. footage). It also depends on the category.

The standard verandah cabins on the Magic and Wonder are 214 sq. ft. PLUS the verandah. The cabin itself is the same size as oceanview and cat. 10 inside cabins. Some places on DCL's site mistakenly list the area of the Dream's cabins as including the verandah and others without.

I love the verandahs but am perfectly content if we don't have one...on those sailings I find that I spent more time in the Rainforest at the spa or on deck 4 in the cushy chairs. On the shorter cruises I have to actually make an effort for some "quality verandah time." They're great but you won't suffer too badly without one. And on the Dream it will be even cooler to have an inside stateroom with the virtual porthole. We booked a verandah for the maiden voyage but after that all our Dream ressies through the rest of 2011 are inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter