If the PIN offer says nontransferable...

Deldot

Earning My Ears
We go every year like clockwork, so we never receive PIN's. Meanwhile, my mother who only went once two years ago received a snailmail with the current PIN which offers: Save up to 35% for stays most nights 1/2-3/24/13, 4/21-5/22/13 AND 8/11-9/28/13 OR Free Dining Plan when you purchase a 5-night/6-day package for arrivals 1/2-3/7/13. Must book by 2/16/13.
(it's got a picture of Ariel on it)

It says nontransferable... and she doesn't want to go. But we do. Is it possible to book this trip under her name with her CC paying for it.. but her name is not on any of the room keys/park tickets... our family instead... and we would simply reimburse her for it?

Edit: don't get me wrong.. we'd love for her to come along (even if we pay for the whole thing) but she just doesn't want to go.

We go every year like clockwork, so we never receive PIN's. Meanwhile, my mother who only went once two years ago received a snailmail with the current PIN which offers: Save up to 35% for stays most nights 1/2-3/24/13, 4/21-5/22/13 AND 8/11-9/28/13 OR Free Dining Plan when you purchase a 5-night/6-day package for arrivals 1/2-3/7/13. Must book by 2/16/13.
(it's got a picture of Ariel on it)

It says nontransferable... and she doesn't want to go. But we do. Is it possible to book this trip under her name with her CC paying for it.. but her name is not on any of the room keys/park tickets... our family instead... and we would simply reimburse her for it?

Nope. Not possible at all. She MUST be physically going on the trip to use the PIN.

I agree, you definitely can't use her pin and her deal. However, I used to have this happen to me too with my mother. What I did was call them and explained that my mom had gotten this deal and I try to get there every year, and why didn't I get a deal sent to me? What they can do is look up under your name and usually there is some kind of deal that they can offer to you based on your activity (or however they base it). It's not a guarantee that they will have a better/ same/ or any offer for you, but they did when I called, and it can't hurt to try. Good luck!

Whose address is attached to the pin* - yours or hers?

If it is your address, or you share that address, you can use the pin without her being there.

*The reason I asked is because my parents have accompanied us as room guests on trips and they ended up receiving pins under their name/my info. I am always able to use them since it is my address.

*The reason I asked is because my parents have accompanied us as room guests on trips and they ended up receiving pins under their name/my info. I am always able to use them since it is my address.

Yes, this has happened with me too. My mother has gone with us as a guest, but sometimes receives pin offers attached to my address. It's not a problem then.

Nope. Tried it. My parents came with us back in 2008. They are not disney people but for years we got several times a year mailings and emails with really great private pin offers. Even thougth it was my email or my mailing address bc it was in their name they refused to let us use them. We haven't been since 2010 and we still never get any codes no matter what tips we have tried.

If she is not going with you, you will not be able to use her PIN, even if it is sent to your address/email. PIN codes go by the name on it, not the address or email it's sent to.

If she is not going with you, you will not be able to use her PIN, even if it is sent to your address/email. PIN codes go by the name on it, not the address or email it's sent to.

I have to disagree. We used a free dining pin back in May 2010. It had my father's name but our home address and phone number attached. We had no problem using it.

We also asked if it could be applied to my parents reservation as well but the answer was no. Our reservations weren't booked together because we were actually surprising them at WDW and didn't want to ruin the surprise by rebooking them with us so that could also have free dining. And they were unable to use that same pin code for just themselves despite it having their name attached.

But anyway, the CM said that whoever lives at the address is the person who use that pin code.

I have to disagree. We used a free dining pin back in May 2010. It had my father's name but our home address and phone number attached. We had no problem using it.

We also asked if it could be applied to my parents reservation as well but the answer was no. Our reservations weren't booked together because we were actually surprising them at WDW and didn't want to ruin the surprise by rebooking them with us so that could also have free dining. And they were unable to use that same pin code for just themselves despite it having their name attached.

But anyway, the CM said that whoever lives at the address is the person who use that pin code.

Either things have changed recently or you got lucky because PINs have never gone by the address/email it was sent to. If the person whose name is on the PIN wasn't on the reservation, the PIN was not able to be used.

Either things have changed recently or you got lucky because PINs have never gone by the address/email it was sent to. If the person whose name is on the PIN wasn't on the reservation, the PIN was not able to be used.

This ^^^.

There are always times when something outside the policy happens. It doesn't change the policy. People were able to use other pins when it was at the same address often enough - it wasn't supposed to happen though.

Since they've updated their system it is a lot more difficult to transfer a pin.

We were told if my mother lived with us we could use the pin whether she was going or not. As long as she lived with us.

I think I am going to call them directly tomorrow. I have all of my emails saved.
thank you again

Not recent, or lucky. The term 'pin-holder' can be linked by name and/or address...not just in name only.

This is the way it was explained to me -

If the trip is booked using the name listed on the pin - the person listed must be present.

If the trip is booked using the address listed on the pin - the lead guest must reside at that address. In this case, the name listed on the pin is not required to be present.

Our son was 11 or 12 (?) when he received his first pin code, not even old enough to book a trip. A policy which states that my minor child is required to either book or be a lead guest on a reservation because he is the PIN-holder is not a valid policy.

Not recent, or lucky. The term 'pin-holder' can be linked by name and/or address...not just in name only.

This is the way it was explained to me -

If the trip is booked using the name listed on the pin - the person listed must be present.

If the trip is booked using the address listed on the pin - the lead guest must reside at that address. In this case, the name listed on the pin is not required to be present.

Our son was 11 or 12 (?) when he received his first pin code, not even old enough to book a trip. A policy which states that my minor child is required to either book or be a lead guest on a reservation because he is the PIN-holder is not a valid policy.

"Non transferable" means it cannot be "transferred" to someone else, even if that someone else lives at the address it was sent to. If the CM booked a trip for you using a PIN that wasn't in your name and the person it was sent to wasn't going on the trip, that was a plus for you. But as a pp stated, when things like that are done, that doesn't mean they are correct. More times than not, reservation CMs give out incorrect information. PIN codes are supposed to be used according to the person they are sent to, not to the address/email they are sent to.

"Non transferable" means it cannot be "transferred" to someone else, even if that someone else lives at the address it was sent to. If the CM booked a trip for you using a PIN that wasn't in your name and the person it was sent to wasn't going on the trip, that was a plus for you. But as a pp stated, when things like that are done, that doesn't mean they are correct. More times than not, reservation CMs give out incorrect information. PIN codes are supposed to be used according to the person they are sent to, not to the address/email they are sent to.

capture.jpg

"Your 15-digit personal identification number is unique to your household....the pin can be found within the e-mail or postal mail."

Again, pin codes are specific to a household/address. If the household is using the pin, nothing is being transferred. However, pins are non-transferable to anyone residing outside the household.

If you go to the pin site it will ask for the pin unique to your household. Then it asks for last name only and zip code. When booking via CRO, the name can be changed...since not every person within the household carries the same last name. However, they will not change the address. What matters is that you reside within that household. For the record, I bring photo ID to checkin as reference that we do in fact live at the address stated on the pin.

We have also received pins addressed to our entire family ("Hello, Smith Family!" or "Special Disney savings for the Smith Family!"). If what you state is correct (name-only), pins could be used by extended family who share our last name. Or even Sr's/Jr's since they share the same name. Obviously, this is not allowed. And that is why the pin is unique to the household - those residing under the same address.

Just to clear - I am not trying to be argumentative. I used to believe pins were specific to name-only. However, I now know this is not the case since having booked nearly ten reservations in just the past three years alone using mostly pins unique to my household address. Therefore, if a CRO CM is telling people this cannot be done or the policy is otherwise, they are incorrect.

Just as an aside, the reservation system no longer links people together via 'household.' It's been individualized in the reservation system since the update.

While the screen shot of the website is nice, the website is also stating that people get 2QS meals per day on the regular dining plan which is inaccurate.

Using a pin in a minors name is kind of a different topic all together since pins aren't supposed to come to minors. However, the pin user doesn't have to be the lead guest. If my mother received a pin tomorrow I could apply it to my trip, in my name, since she is a guest on the reservation in the same way that she could book a reservation for herself + 2 more rooms. She won't be listed or the lead on all 3 since that would be impossible.

These kind of debates always end up being pointless - there are always numerous occasions and instances that go against policy... but it doesn't change the actual policy.

I was able to use a PIN that came to my email in my brother's name. It was addressed to the Maiden Name Family. I called and they said it was under my brother's first name but they would change it to my name.

We just got a PIN addressed to our DDIL but sent to our address which DDIl has never lived with us

but I checked at first the CM said that DDIL would have to go with us and the CM checked with a supervisor who said the PIN could be used by anyone living at the address

so I saved 35% off our Aug before and after cruise

also this was the same offer the OP got--same dates and all

We just got a PIN addressed to our DDIL but sent to our address which DDIl has never lived with us

but I checked at first the CM said that DDIL would have to go with us and the CM checked with a supervisor who said the PIN could be used by anyone living at the address

so I saved 35% off our Aug before and after cruise

also this was the same offer the OP got--same dates and all

When you called did you just ask the CM on the phone to check with a supervisor or did they offer :D

I just got one in the mail addressed to my bff who has NEVER lived here, funny how that works huh!!!

I'd love to be able to use the pin though :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter