If the Magic was to sail out of Galveston and you live in TX....

txsoccermom

DIS Veteran
would you take a Western Caribbean cruise on the Magic or on the Fantasy? I have us booked in June 2012 on the Fantasy, for the Eastern Caribbean. However, since we are in TX, the idea of driving a few hrs to board a Mickey ship to the Caribbean is exciting! We just took our first Disney Cruise in Mar on the Dream......LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it :lovestruc The ship was beautiful, rooms were great, and the kids couldn't get enough of the kids' centers. The "at sea" day did seem very crowded at the pool though - only "bad" thing we could find.

I'm afraid the Magic won't be as "magical" as the Dream was, however I've heard the rooms are larger and other cruisers like the feel of a smaller ship/lesser people. Would love to hear your inputs - what would you do? Figure I have a few days to decide if I'm going to make a ressie or not!

I have been thinking this over as well. We are booked Eastern on the Fantasy in July 2012. A 20 hour drive vs 3 is a strong pro for Galveston, but a new ship is a pro for the Fantasy.

The big decider for us will be if the Magic is only here for the winter we will stick with the Fantasy. With our kids in school we cannot travel then and cruising Thanksgiving or Spring Break is hard as we party too much with Disney and need some down time to recover from our holiday :rolleyes1 and with the world ending during the Christmas break I am not sure I want to be on the high seas :laughing:

K in SA

I sure think I would be tempted and we would have to drive from Kansas, but with the cost of flights right now, it might be worth it. I sure would miss the trip to WDW though!

I would cruise on the Magic again out of Galveston in a heartbeat if she came here over flying to Fl to travel on the Fantasy. I am waiting to find out where the Magic goes to determine where I'm moving my dummy date, but if it comes to Galveston it will be a no brainer for us and we will move it there.

YES!! are there plans for the Magic to sail out of Galveston?!
I've sailed on the Wonder twice and would defiantly sail the Magic given the chance! especially out of Galveston, it would be really convenient!

If the Magic sails out of Galveston to almost anywhere, I'd be on it!

I haven't been on the Dream yet (we're scheduled for December), but we've been on the Wonder, and I LOVED the ship. I'd gladly go on one of the older ships if it meant such a short DRIVE to port. :cool1:

Can't wait until April 6 and we know if this is a reality....

I would keep my 2011 Dream cruise and my 2012 Fantasy cruise and I would add a Magic or Wonder Galveston.:thumbsup2

I don't live in TX, but I'm kind of having the same potential dilemma. We have to fly from the West Coast either way, but coming into Houston would be a little cheaper and a shorter day of flying.

We're booked on a Fantasy Western leaving PC on 11/10/12. Never sailed DCL, so I continue to read with interest the comparisons of the Dream with the classic ships. Worried about the crowding issues on the bigger ship.....intrigued by past cruisers' descriptions of the more intimate feel of the smaller ships.....overwhelmed with the responsibility of making the "right" choice about what might be the only DCL cruise we ever get to do.

It is all about itinerary for us. It would be nice not to have to drop $$ on air fare but if the itinerary stinks I will pay the $$ for air fare in a heart beat:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Rob

I'm only three cruises from platinum on Carnival, simply because they sail year round out of Galveston. If DCL comes to Tx, I may never make Platinum on CCL... ;)

I just asked DS this very question earlier today, as we are only about 30 mins from the port of Galveston. He wants to keep the Fantasy Cruise we have scheduled for June 2012. I think I agree with him, only because it appears that IF the Magic comes to Galveston, it will be in the Fall/Winter Months, making it difficult due to DS's school and sports schedule. I would love to decrease my drive from approx. 14 hours to 30 minutes, but the timing probably won't work for us.

If the Magic comes to Galveston, we'll be on that more times that you can count. LOL! We're so close to Galveston, that the idea that the Magic will be there makes me wish I could get a job on her. LOL! So yeah, if it were me, I'd forgo the Fantasy to save the airfare as well as overall cost for the stateroom.

I would take an eastern route. I grew up in Galveston County (Friendswood) and would have no problem with it.

I am also in TX and have a Fantasy June Eastern booked. Am strongly leaning towards tranferring that to a Magic Galveston port if it comes here. Just too much $ for airfare. I want to be on one of the new ships, but I do like the smaller size and loved the Magic. I would probably change to a Christmas or week before Christmas cruise - but waiting to see the schedules. :surfweb:

. I live in Louisiana, and this would be great. Too far to drive to Florida to catch a cruise. Airfares are going sky high. Hope that this happens.

As excited as I am about driving 4 hours instead of 14...I'm worried about the dates as well-Thanksgiving break is out as we'll now have two in college and that will be their first break to come home. Christmas not really a good option for the same reasons...so, really hoping the Magic will stay until Mardi Gras 2013 which will be 2/12/13. Any hope for this plan?

We live in Austin and have been on the Dream once, Magic and Wonder several times. We will definitely cruise out of Galveston on any Disney ship, any itinerary. I have considered though, the prices will most likely reflect holiday prices, but without airfare, it should be doable. Crossing my fingers!

As excited as I am about driving 4 hours instead of 14...I'm worried about the dates as well-Thanksgiving break is out as we'll now have two in college and that will be their first break to come home. Christmas not really a good option for the same reasons...so, really hoping the Magic will stay until Mardi Gras 2013 which will be 2/12/13. Any hope for this plan?

I hope so, if she comes here I'm hoping she stays through the end of March at least as I'd love to do Spring Break 2013 on the Magic. If we go by the Grand Cayman Ports List, the Magic is going there through April 2013 so I'm hoping for March 2013. Now the 2nd big question (after the where will she be) is will they announce any dates in 2013 on Wednesday.

We live in Houston, so it's not a far drive for us.

Currently we are booked on the Fantasy to the Eastern Caribbean in June 2012 & Princess Cruise line to the Panama Canal for Christmas 2012. We would not change those. While it would be tempting to save on airfare, we skipped WDW in 2011 for other trips - so I'd like to tie in some WDW with the Fantasy.

If the Magic were to do something other than the Western over Christmas, I might consider switching. . but I'm really looking forward to the Canal trip, and my goal was to have my DDs on a cruise ship over Christmas.

If the Magic were to come to Galveston, and stay through Spring Break 2013 - I'd love to then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter