If the extra magic night hours stay would you change to a Disney resort?

laurabelle

DIS Veteran
I posted this thread on the Orlando Hotels board, thought I'd get your opinion too... Thanks!:wave:

Originally posted by laurabelle
I'm going to be there, onsite during the test, I can't wait! But I have a trip booked for the end of July/ begining of August at the Hyatt for $99/night govt. rate. I'm really excited to be staying there, it looks gorgeous! Before I booked that, I got a quote for POFQ from DU for the same time (no codes out yet) for $160/night! I could pay that much including resort fee for the Swan/Dolphin!!! Lots of people are waiting anxiously for the codes to come out, I don't need tickets, so the rumored 7 for 5 deal wouldn't work for me. I am travelling alot this year, so I want to spend around $100/night for this trip. Would you consider staying onsite (at a lesser resort) for the extra night hours perk? [/QUOTE

It would depend on several things. Just me personally, I wouldn't want to stay offsite anyway, I'd rather stay at a value resort onsite. That said, I've only been once and we stayed onsite. DH has stayed offsite several times and said he'd never do it again after being onsite once.

For me, the extra hour in the evening wouldn't help, because my kids are small and go to bed early. If you don't have this, then it would be great to have the extra hour in the parks. If park time and convenience of staying onsite are both plusses for you, I'd definitely look into it more. Maybe stay at Pop Century since it's new?

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth!

~Steph

I'm just voting for onsite
would stay on site regardless of the extra perk
with a toddler don't know how much we could use it anyways

the bad thing is the magic hour at night then getting up the next day for early entry, I am going to be exhausted if they start doing this!!! it sounds good, but how the heck to do they really get all those "extra" people out of the park?? I think the magic hour at night would be much more crowded than the mornings, too.

PLus, i like early mornings better as many have young kids and go to bed early. (like me)

We have the same situation as bigbabyblues - small kids. Our kids still need between 10 and 11 hours of sleep. Their normal bedtime is 8:00 or 8:30 pm, they wake around 7:00. We modify this a little when at WDW. Since they always want breakfast we miss most EE (arrive 8:45 - 9:15), and we would leave the parks by 8:00 or 8:30 pm. One night each trip we stay out late - then sleep in the next morning make it a pool day rather than park day.

So to answer your question, currently - evening magic hours would do nothing for us.

232271 - They are planning on using the "arm-band" system they use for E-ride nights. Prior to official closing, resort guests would get an arm-band, and anyone without an armband during the extra-hours is not allowed on the rides. This seems to work very well.

motaei - I read a post that quoted a communication with Disney, where they stated there were plans to announce some E-ride nights this summer. However, this new program of an extra 3 hours in the evening would be better, IMO, you get the same thing without paying extra!!::yes::

BTW - we always stay onsite, so the new system would have no effect on our choice!:wave:

Laurabelle, it's hard for me to answer your question objectively because we stay onsite regardless - we take advantage of EE at least a couple of times each trip, and if the new plan is in effect in June, we'll probably take advantage of the EE and/or EMH evenings a couple of times then too. But even if they didn't have any extra hours, we'd stay onsite. We just love being totally immersed in WDW. However, if the lure of a great rate at an offsite resort had lured us away :eek: I'd probably switch back to onsite to take advantage of extra hours in the evening.

We stay on property, but we won't be allowed to participate in the evening hours.

We'll be at Shades of Green- and evidently they're not included in the night festivities. We could stay and spend money- but we're not allowed to ride if we stay there. :(

If you're talking about the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress don't change to onsite.

I'd rather be there any day! Normal rates are $300 per night.

Just my opinion.

When is this special evening hours for on-site guests suppose to take place? I understand that there is a $12 fee per guest and the parks are suppose to close early for the public at 6pm...Is that correct?

We changed our date to May 27-June 2. That reminds me..I need to change my countdown.

When is this special evening hours for on-site guests suppose to take place? I understand that there is a $12 fee per guest and the parks are suppose to close early for the public at 6pm...Is that correct?

We changed our date to May 27-June 2. That reminds me..I need to change my countdown.

We did the late night thing on our last trip, and I really didn't think it was really worth it. I think then it cost us an extra $10/person. Not all the rides are open only some and there were still lines to get on to those, so I personally did feel we accomplished a whole lot by paying the extra.

That being said, I would say that staying onsite is better any day. But I wouldn't choose onsite just for the late night thing... there are so many other benefits to staying onsite.

Originally posted by Katiebug
If you're talking about the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress don't change to onsite.

I'd rather be there any day! Normal rates are $300 per night.

Just my opinion.

YES it's the HRGC!!! After thinking about it and talking it over with hubby...we're keeping our ressie at the Hyatt! We do have 2 kids, 10 and 7 (it's her 8th birthday we'll be spending there...shhhh) We have only stayed offsite once before, and love staying onsite, but couldn't resist this great deal. And we rarely stay out late in Disney, the sun and fun just wear us out! Thanks for all the imput! :wave:

Fantasia & Mercy- Check the Theme Parks board for info on the EMH evening hours, they are testing this out in May...Here's the thread

As a family of five, NO, we would not stay onsite. We are staying offsite in a 2 bedroom unit for $160/ nt that Disney has an equivelant at $679/nt. Sorry, the extra time in the parks cannot make up for $519/nt more per night. Perhaps it makes sense for families under 5 people, but for us, it doesn't make sense.

Originally posted by *Fantasia*

This is a test that will be over on May 22 so you will miss it. It is not a paid ticket event like E-Ride was. Basically this test means Disney resort guests can stay later on certain nights at certain parks. The parks will close at the regular times for that time of year, then they will add on the Extra hours.

Originally posted by *Flower*
We stay on property, but we won't be allowed to participate in the evening hours.

We'll be at Shades of Green- and evidently they're not included in the night festivities. We could stay and spend money- but we're not allowed to ride if we stay there. :(
Ditto here!

*Flower* -- It appears this was a decision by SOG not to participate in the program (someone said it costs them to offer the perk to guests). I called and asked Disney and they said it was SOG decision. Called SOG...Guest Services suggested sending a complaint to the General Manager regarding this issue! I'll be doing so...if you want to as well, the address is

Shades of Green
Attn: General Manager
PO Box 22789
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2789

I was told to use "Dear Sir"....

I told the Guest Services lady it would indeed push me to stay at a Disney hotel rather than SOG, especially since with codes I can get a Deluxe Disney room (AKL) for very close to the $$ we have to pay at SOG, at least in value season!! If they don't offer this perk, it's one more "PRO" in the Disney column, even if I have to pay taxes on my room rate!!

I am another "Shades of Greener" and I am sad they are not offering participation in this event. Before booking, I specifically asked them if EMH and E-ticket nights were included, and they said yes, we could attend EMH and buy E-tickets just like other onsite resort guests. I would love to change to AKL, but with the tax, etc. it would cost us a couple hundred more, and there is a point where you have to say enough....but having said that, I do hope Shades reconsiders if this test thing stays...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter