If the bride is wearing black, can I wear white? Update p.2

meliss8599

DIS Veteran
It's a backyard BBQ wedding and the bride will be wearing a black dress. The wedding is casual and I have a very cute white, gauzy/crepey material short dress that has blue embroidery. I've linked it here. It's a dress that's otherwise perfect for a backyard BBQ and, while the dress in no way looks like a wedding dress, I know white is normally a no-no at weddings as it competes with the bride. Since the bride is wearing black, is it still a no-no to wear it?

It is a really cute dress and looked great on the bride of the wedding I attended today.

It's a backyard BBQ wedding and the bride will be wearing a black dress. The wedding is casual and I have a very cute white, gauzy/crepey material short dress that has blue embroidery. I've linked it here. It's a dress that's otherwise perfect for a backyard BBQ and, while the dress in no way looks like a wedding dress, I know white is normally a no-no at weddings as it competes with the bride. Since the bride is wearing black, is it still a no-no to wear it?

Instead of asking us, you should ask the bride.

Wow, thank you everybody for your responses! I'm super excited that it seems okay to go with the dress as it's something I already own and I wouldn't have to go shopping for a different dress. We all know how hard it is when you are looking for a specific something to actually find it.

I am going out to lunch with the bride they day after tomorrow and I will now feel more comfortable ultimately asking HER. I just wanted to ask here first because if the response was an overwhelming, "NO! How could you?!" I would never want the bride to know I even THOUGHT of wearing a white dress!

Again, thanks to everybody who genuinely tried to help and I will try very hard to stay clean at the BBQ. :)

Last edited:
Not sure your age, but in case you weren't sure if the 'young Michelle Phillips' was a compliment or not, here's a pic of her back on the day:

blog12.jpg

I always thought she was very attractive- couldn't find a pick of her wearing a similar dress, but it reminded me of her style.

Have fun!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter