IF Staying at Park Vue Inn (PVI) You May Want To Read This

I agree that the abbreviations can be difficult at first, but by either persusing the previously noted link or simply by having been on the site for a short while, you really do pick them up.

And while I certainly appreciate that you are very comfortable working with numerous devices at a quick speed, please bear in mind that not everyone is as adept as you. BBB, DH, PP, etc. make it easier for those that post quite often, or for those that are slower typers. Part of getting used to any community is getting used to their existing way of doing things.

Again, I apologize for the off-topic response, and not this is NOT a knock against anyone in this forum or the "culture" I realize many treasure, just another perspective ...

It depends on your goal. If your goal is to provide, and be, the premiere resource of information that serves a larger Disney-interested community (everyone that comes across this site via any means), then as a graphic designer and professional writer I can attest that the only truly good way to go about that is to ditch the acronyms and abbreviations. Providing an instruction list of "how to read this forum," instead of just taking an extra tenth of a second to write what you mean, is definitely a stumbling block for participation and understanding for that wider audience. Many of whom may visit once, see all the hard-to-get lingo and never return, or even bother to ask a question, writing off the place and missing out on some very good info because of that.

I, too, work mainly within an industry that serves a niche community and we tend to speak in shorthand amongst ourselves. BUT when we are writing and publishing data, online or in print, acronymns and abbreviations must FIRST be spelled out in any instance they are used, even when we know we are speaking mostly to a core, insider audience. For instance, in this case, the first time you would need to write "Park Vue Inn (PVI)", but the next 10 times you cite it (within the same post), just "PVI" is acceptable. That makes it clear and simple to understand for anyone, be they newbie or vet.

Now, if the goal is to maintain a specific clique or exclusive club of posters and participants, valuing users based on their post count and/or ability to decipher a series of obscure acronyms/abbreviations, then the current way is preferable. Creating a learning curve or "hump" new users have to master if they wish to stick around and play (i.e. "post") with you, definitely ups the exclusivity of the forum.

I understand that, that may sound like a sarcastic way to explain it, but it's not intended as such. If that is what you are going for, that's a perfectly acceptable goal. Seeking out commitment and speaking only to a devoted almost fanatical core does not have to have a negative connotation. Limiting your audience by choice--making a newcomer learn the rules of the group as a means of providing proof their commitment to the subject matter--has its benefits as well.

Just my two cents and I'll leave it there.

To the original poster, good luck with your situation. I know it's something that really would ruin my vacation, no matter how hard I tried otherwise. Yikes!

Wow Jack,

I'm really sorry to hear about that. I'm amazed at the extreme lack of customer service. As others have said, problems do occur and it all depends on how the staff handle them.

I know you said they weren't being any help but were you able to get the PVI to cover the costs related to cleaning any clothes touched by the insects or medical costs?

I hope the rest of your trip is better!

-Mitch

Here's a suggestion. Maybe you should call the PVI or better yet, someone who has reservations with them already and is planning on canceling, call them up and tell them you read about the reviews about their hotel on a well known Disneyland planning board and were disgusted and want to cancel. I understand the whole bed bug thing and yes, it's NASTY,:crazy2: but the management not listening is a whole other issue.:headache: Don't forget to post your review on trip advisor. Just a suggestion.

I agree the roach/bedbugs thing is all about how they handle it. Sounds like they totally botched it in this case.

On the acronym issue - I think you will find that most forums on the Internet tend toward the 2nd option Coopersmom described, some level of exclusivity based on learning the lingo and building credibility through post count. The DIS is no exception, and that's not a bad thing. The info posted here tends to be more "insider insights" than public knowledge, if it were public knowledge it would actually be less valuable. The bar to get up to speed is pretty low: there's an acronym list, people clarify when asked, and usually after a few times on the site things are clarify. Newcomers are very welcome.

If the posts here were being published as articles or even in a blog then acronyms should be spelled out. But in a fast moving social media outlet geared toward insider info I think short form is totally appropriate. Even spelling out PVI the first time wouldn't have helped the 3 posters who asked after the question had already been answered.

Sure it saves you some time but it confuses your readers. I guess it's a choose your poison type of thing; make your life easier by saving you a few seconds or make the readers life harder by confusing them with useless acronyms.

For your information, I'm a professional web designer and developer that specializes in usability protocol. I work with accessibility and usability on mobile devices all day long so I'm familiar with the typing practices and those types of devices. And just so you know, I typed this entire post from my iPhone.
I am also a software developer who runs a company that develops and supplies technical software all over the world. When designing software then usability is paramount.

But we are not talking about user interface design here. We are talking about written communication within a community of mostly like-minded individuals. And we are supplying information for free because we are hobbyists. If I had a Disney business for which I charged my readers money then you bet I would spell things out.

Since the information here is supplied for free then we are under no obligation to provide customer service. We are a community and we are the customers, so to speak. So in the interest of economy of time for people who post frequently we use abbreviations. As I said earlier, it makes it so I will say more things in my posts and write a higher quantity of posts because it does not take as long to write them.

:wizard:

I totally agree about online reviews being taken with a grain of salt. We own a small business. We don't do much for an active online presence. We have had two "average" Google reviews, the latest being about four years ago. So we only look so-so if you look at our reviews. That doesn't really bother me. What does irk me is Google calling us every couple months trying to help us "fix" our "bad profile." Of course it always involves us paying Google some money!!

So I definitely feel that online reviews can be skewed, both by the business and sometimes even the search engine itself. I read online reviews to find out factual details -- the hotel is located next to the train tracks, the tour doesn't run if it's windy, the restaurant doesn't take reservations, etc.

For Blackjack, I hope management resolves your concerns. Every hotel can suffer service issues, but not being willing to deal with them is a big black mark.

PHXscuba

Now, if the goal is to maintain a specific clique or exclusive club of posters and participants, valuing users based on their post count and/or ability to decipher a series of obscure acronyms/abbreviations, then the current way is preferable. Creating a learning curve or "hump" new users have to master if they wish to stick around and play (i.e. "post") with you, definitely ups the exclusivity of the forum.
But it is not about cliques or exclusivity. It is about economy of time. This forum is a community, not a business. All communities in which I participate use acronyms. For some communities I suppose it is a form of exclusivity. At my business internally it is for economy of communication. At social groups I am involved in it is for economy as well.

coopersmom said:
I, too, work mainly within an industry that serves a niche community and we tend to speak in shorthand amongst ourselves. BUT when we are writing and publishing data, online or in print, acronymns and abbreviations must FIRST be spelled out in any instance they are used, even when we know we are speaking mostly to a core, insider audience. For instance, in this case, the first time you would need to write "Park Vue Inn (PVI)", but the next 10 times you cite it (within the same post), just "PVI" is acceptable. That makes it clear and simple to understand for anyone, be they newbie or vet.!

I work in an industry that uses tons of acronyms but of course when I'm writing my technical documents, the first time I say something, I wrote it out with the acronym in parentheses. I also include it in the definitions section of the document.

BUT. That is work. This is play. I'm not paid when I write here. This isn't professional writing. This is a community of people spending valuable free time sharing info. Time is precious for all of us.

If you will also notice, when asked (by two different previous posters to you) the answer to the acronym was immediately given with no snark, no attitude, and no problems. That renders your exclusivity argument pretty much untrue.

I didn't know immediately what PVI was. I don't post often. I read for a few posts while and puzzled it out by the time I got to the first post that asked. Had I not, I would have done one of two things: looked at the acronym sticky or asked. Both would have taken mere moments.

Also, don't forget many people are typing from phones. I am right now. Typing Park Vue Inn takes significantly more seconds than PVI, especially when you add in other acronyms or multiple uses.

I am all for acronyms! Even when I don't know them. Like with everything else, I feel I can learn rather than ask thousand of other users to change.

From here on out, I shall no longer use abbreviations so that my communications are easier to understand. Everyone should know that currently, Magic Mornings begin promptly at seven o'clock antemeridian Pacific Standard Time. ;)

I think the difference in rating by BBB is based on how the BBB feels the business handles the situation after a complaint has been filed, ie whether they respond to the complaint and offer a reasonable solution. Disney hotels move many thousands of people through their hotels each year so simply by percentages will have more complaints than smaller hotels. An F doesn't mean that you have the most complaints, it 's the lack of responsiveness when a complaint is filed.

I think this is the case exactly. It's not the number of complaints, but how the merchant resolves the issues (if they even bother to respond to the BBB).

By the way, I keep checking back on this thread to see if there are further updates from Jack, or stories from other who have had bad experiences at this hotel. I'm having to wade through the many posts on the pros and cons of using acronyms to find information relating to the original post. Perhaps those who want to debate acronyms could start another thread in which to do so?

And just so you know, I typed this entire post from my iPhone.

*golf clap*

From here on out, I shall no longer use abbreviations so that my communications are easier to understand. Everyone should know that currently, Magic Mornings begin promptly at seven o'clock antemeridian Pacific Standard Time. ;)

I just burst out laughing :lmao:

This thread has beyond entertained me. From the disgusting original post and my total shock and horror at bedbugs (Seriously, gross) to the fact that the staff wasn't horrified (the worst issue here, In My Very Humble Opinion),to the fact that no one can trust Trip Adviser OR the Better Business Bureau and then to the fact that this whole forum is ridiculously overusing acronyms. The disboards (umm..disneyboards?) never disappoint.

And yes, that was one huge run on sentence. *bow*

I feel really dumb for asking but what does PVI stand for?

Irks me when a thread is started with an acronym. We are not all vets here.

WOW!! Bedbugs and cockroaches. NASTY!!
Jack, sorry this happened to your family, i really hope this is able to be resolved to your satisfaction.

I feel really dumb for asking but what does PVI stand for?

Irks me when a thread is started with an acronym. We are not all vets here.

As has been noted 4 other times in this thread, PVI is Park Vue Inn.

As for the OP, EEWWWWW I'm sooooo icked out by the bugs! I don't get a corporate discount at PVI, so I didn't look at staying there. Guess I REALLY don't need to worry about it now!

As has been noted 4 other times in this thread, PVI is Park Vue Inn.

Thanks -- I searched through the first few pages in this thread to try to find it and gave up and decided to ask -- I wasn't about to go through all 7 pages in 'hopes' of finding it. Is it really so hard to just write the full word the first time and then use abbreviations thereafter?? It would save everyone a whole lot of trouble and annoyance! Besides, that is the way it is done in newsprint, and really is proper "netiquette".

With an upcoming Disney trip, now I'm concerned about the bug issue. We're not staying at the Park Vue, but at a different Harbor Blvd hotel. But its simple common sense that anyplace can have them.

So, my question is: How do we make sure we don't have any of these disgusting critters in our room before we even unpack? I have never really given the bug thing much thought, but I am now!

Thanks -- I searched through the first few pages in this thread to try to find it and gave up and decided to ask -- I wasn't about to go through all 7 pages in 'hopes' of finding it. Is it really so hard to just write the full word the first time and then use abbreviations thereafter?? It would save everyone a whole lot of trouble and annoyance! Besides, that is the way it is done in newsprint, and really is proper "netiquette".

ROFL After saying what you just did..you might wanna read the whole thread ;)

What does "antemeridian" stand for? ;)

First of all that really sucks Jack. Always has been one of my fears when staying at hotels on vacation.

We always check the beds and linens at every hotel we stay at. I will lift the entire mattress and go through things right after I take that first few shots of the room. (standard protocol for a guy who likes to take thousands of photos to remember the vacation!)

I've heard they get carried in people's luggage. Some from people from outside the country.

Hope your family is all ok and better Jack. Take care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter